Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm applying for the position of "Internet Sales Consultant" at a local Subaru dealer. I figured it might be a good job to get into, so I applied. Now I have just finished my fourth interview and I'm getting pretty nervous about my chances.

The first interview was with an assistant manager. He grilled me pretty hard, asking how I would react to situations, why did I want to work there, why I was better than the other applicants, etc.

The second was with the general manager, and he didn't get too tough. Basically just asked about my personality and some more details about the job. He also gave me a little info on what to expect in the car business.

The third interview was with another assistant manager, plus the original assistant manager. He asked me more questions about why I should be selected. He also went a little deeper into my prior work experience, asking me specifics on what I did and whatnot.

The fourth interview, which I just finished, was with the owner of the whole company along with the second assistant manager and the general manager. I actually got scared when I saw him, because this guy just looked powerful. It wasn't his size, but his demeanor and the way he acted. He knew he was the boss and he showed it. He got right down to business and put up some hard questions. First he discredited my education, saying it was a bunch of crap that doesn't get you anywhere when you first start out. He also said it involved too much theory which, to him, doesn't cut it either. So then he asked what else qualified me, since I don't really have any practical experience. I have a lot of customer service-related work, but nothing in sales. Basically this job is answering every internet lead, updating the online content for maximum traffic/excitement/sales, and to complete the sales process for any leads. More questions followed, like why do I think I can do the work, why am I different from everybody else, what do I do in this situation, where did I learn what I know about the auto sales business, why should he hire me...and on and on.

And then the owner's eyes...man, they were the most piercing set of eyes I've ever seen. I answered a couple questions, and he just sat there, staring. It made me nervous...almost...scared. I realized I was starting to shake because of the looks this guy was giving me.

So I don't know. I don't think I made a very good impression on the owner. But the other three managers seem to like me. They said they will be calling me next week to follow up. I don't think there is going to be any more interviewing as I went up the whole freaking ladder. Unless there is a board of advisors or something...maybe their lawyers...lol

For those in the business, how many interviews did you go through before you got hired? I'm curious if mine is a special case.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
A car dealership is probably not the best place to try to start a career in sales. There is a lot to know to be successful, and dude is right, your education can only do so much, but the important poitn you missed about him even saying that is that it was an objection you need to overcome. Now you need to show oyur follow-up skills which is the most important aspect of the business next to being able to close. Car sales has extremely high turnover for a reason,but if you are interested in being successful in sales I would recommend trying 24 Hour Fitness, as they offer some of the best on-the-job sales training you can find, and you will get a taste of what it takes to sell cars and other higher-dollar products. If you can last for more than a month there, then you might want to try cars, but jumping in with a customer service background will not likely give your the experience you need to be successful in the car business. Tenacity is what it's all about, but there is a lot about the basic intricacies of the sales process that you will need to be trained extensively in.

Either way, they are not going to call you back, they'll be waiting for you to follow-up.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Good luck to you. I just bought my big, nasty, diesel-guzzling, space-taking-upping, soot-blowing, I-have-a-small-dick-so-I-bought-a-big pig of a hauling truck (right, license2ill?) from a fellow in St. Louis who does internet-only sales. I was given an unbelievable deal, and his dealership made its built-in $500.00 sales allowance for a grand total of about a 1/2-hour's investment in the salesman's time. If you could knock down 20 or 30 of those sales each month, I'd think you should do very well -

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If I were you I would turn down any job offers from this place and find work elsewhere. It's not likely you are going to enjoy working there from what I read of your interview experience, and I dont think they are going to compensate you very well either. And the owner appears to be a psychopath.

·
Registered
491 Posts
bugeyed said:
If I were you I would turn down any job offers from this place and find work elsewhere. It's not likely you are going to enjoy working there from what I read of your interview experience, and I dont think they are going to compensate you very well either. And the owner appears to be a psychopath.
+1 That jackoff was enjoying the fact that you were sitting there shitting yourself.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that this is not the best place to start, but I haven't had much luck finding anything in the last couple months I've been out of school...

I should really just start my own business. I have an idea, but gotta get the specifics down. :)

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
could be that they wanted to know how you would react in a given situation. it would help them know what kind of reaction to expect from you. approach them with a confidant but not cocky attitude. most of them started out selling somewhere before they got to where they are now and only really want you to sell yourself to them because if you can not sell yourself then it will be hard for you to sell their cars. these are just observations i have made after 40+ years in and around car dealerships and the people that run them. have fun and enjoy the experience, it can be as enjoyable as you make it.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
bugeyed said:
I'm with Bugeyed on this one. Although the cold stares may have been a test in itself to prepare you for psychopathic customers.
Just remember that you don't even work for these people and they are being all hardcore with you. Imagine the first time you make a mistake or fail on clinching a deal. Is this the team you want to explain your actions to.
Why would all these people have to interview you? And it is obvious the owner is a micromanager if he can't trust the judgement of the General Manager and two Assistant managers. The top of the line should have been the G.M.

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
4+ interviews= you have the job. Relax bro.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
^^ so you have been around car dealers since you were 6 or younger? Rather unlikely.
When your relitives have car dealerships you start hanging around them at an early age.

·
Owned by marriage
1,190 Posts
Relax man. He was just seeing how you react under pressure. A number one thing you need to do is the fallow up. But, if you felt uncomfortable, maybe you need look for something a littel less stressful. Its all up to you and how you feel about your self. Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When I got the phone call letting me know about the 4th interview with the owner, the assistant manager was telling me how since I was going this far, it was "looking pretty good." :)

But yeah, I've definately had some scenarios going in my head about what would happen when I made my first mistake. My first thought was the cold, staring eyes of the owner. In the next day or so, I will really need to decide if I am going to be comfortable dealing with that type of work environment. Although I do tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, I'd just rather not have that guillotine hanging over my neck. I just keep hoping that they aren't as hardcore as they portray themselves to be. They did keep saying how there was a "three-week barrier." Basically, in three weeks, it will be obvious whether I am going to make it or not.

On a positive note, I would like to believe that the staring was just a test, and that the owner had a fun and laugh-filled meeting with the managers after I left, joking about how they really got me going with their acting. :lao Har har.

Although I think four interviews is a lot, I think there is a lot more riding on this position than I am being told. I know I may have been vague on the job description, but I think "internet" part of the job is something they really want to focus on. From what I could tell, they want their site to bring lots more traffic, more contacts, and more sales. It seems that they want it to become a main entrance for the company. I think that because of this goal, they are really interviewing hard and hence the interview with the owner. I think he just wants to be sure that the person is going to be able to fulfill the goals that he has in mind. If it were me, I'd probably want to make sure we got the right guy too. And sure, he has the input of his managers to help guide his decision. So...eh, I don't blame the guy for the hard interview. I think that they feel the job is important enough that they need to be overly thorough. :)

Or...maybe another possibility... Maybe they think I'm just trying bullshit my way into the job, and so interview me over and over with the hard questions to try and see if I make a mistake in my answers. Eh...? Lol, I don't think so, but I don't think I would rule it out either.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I personally knew a car dealership owner and he was a complete ass. I guess you have to be in that business. He was obsessed with money. That is all he talked about and had no other joy in life.

Chances are that he is really like that and it wasn't just an act. I'd find work elsewhere. I mean, 4 interviews!? They're going to expect the world out of you.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Just think, If you can make it through this interview process and shine in the job, you will be able to take on any job interview in the future. If anything, it is good practice.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont see why a car dealership would go through so much trouble to hire someone. They dont pay much anyway, its up to you how much you make mostly so why all the hassle? If you cant sell cars you wont make a living at it and you will move on. I say one interview is good enough.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Why would you fear the owner? He is no diffrent than anyone else except he owns the place you are trying to work for. Fear is a sign of weekness and most bosses will look for these weeknesses to get you to do what ever they want.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been in the car business for over 8 years. I started in sales then manager and now business manager. If you want to make it in the car business, here's what you need to know.

1. Whats they're training policy.
- Do they give you any or just throw you to the wolves.
2. Product knowlege.
- There's a lot of competition out there you have to know your product
its competition.
- The walk around is the most important thing you can learn after product
knowledge. It's how you get your customer excited, that's why they buy.
3. Closing.
- Being able to close isn't that important to know, they will teach you how to do that, just watch veteran salesmen.
4. Hustle.
- You have to get in front of a lot of people to learn anything.
- You can't be afraid of hearing NO. You must learn to over come objections.
5. Follow up
- If you want to make it a career you have to follow up because repeat business is where you income lies.
6. Be Honest
- You'll never get anywhere with your customers if your not honest.
7. Referals.
- If you treat your customer right and they enjoyed your service, they'll gladly give you referals.

Let me know what their pay plan is and I'll be able to tell you if it's a good dealership.

You'll have to work long hours to get anywhere in the car business, but any profession you work that is sucessful, you have to work long hours.

Also, if you want to make it, stay at 1 dealership. You lose customers everytime you change, even if you stay in contact and do your follow-up.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can PM me if you want.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts