Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations for a loan? I need about 4500$ for a used Honda. I looked at Honda.com but they only loan for new bikes and lendingtree.com is only taking apps for 7500$+. I've thought about a student loan but won't the bank check whether i need/use the money properly? And isn't 4500$ a lot to ask for a student loan? Advice needed. Thanks

-Jared

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completed the MSF training in March, been riding a FZR 600 since. Put lots of miles/time on it. I'd like to get a loan to improve my credit as well. Insurace won't be a problem, I am going under my dads insurace for this bike, he rides as well.

-Jared

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why would he check ins ? just curious , i live in Tx so if this is a cheap way to get a bike then plz elaborate. As far as student loans for a bike i have a friend who did that and hasnt gotten caught , i mean if u can justify it as being a neccesary cost of college then go for it , i personally wouldnt since u may end up needing that money and yada yada , and DONT use grant money if u ge any (for ur bike that is), bc if uncle sam finds out ull have to pay it back and since ur in Tx theyve enacted new laws that check up on students , so go to class or ull still have to pay back the $$. Got a lil off topic but good luck with everything , im also lookin for a way to bankroll my bike while taking 18hrs at school good luck peace man.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
cuz ins. goes thru the roof on a modern day 600ss

·
Registered
18 Posts
ahhhh insurance lol damn i look like ultra squid lmao how much is it for a 750 ? roughly for an 18yr old thats taken the msf ? sry to get off topic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, insurance was the first thing I checked.

I haven't taken a student loan out yet, I have received grants/financial aid so far. Whatever I need for school I put on my credit card and pay it off slowly during the year, then completely pay it with my tax refund. Thanks for the responses so far.

-Jared

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
GhostRiderGT said:
ahhhh insurance lol damn i look like ultra squid lmao how much is it for a 750 ? roughly for an 18yr old thats taken the msf ? sry to get off topic.
too many variables........but easily $1000/yr

and a 750 is not a beginner bike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i was quoted well over $1600/year (full coverage) for my 98 500r with MSF/good student discount, squeeky clean record and a multi-vehicle discount (my car is on the same policy). im 19 and have it through Farmers which in turn goes through "Foremost". i have just liability right now and it runs $68/mo.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
RACER X said:
too many variables........but easily $1000/yr

and a 750 is not a beginner bike.
Hah! Yeah right. The CHEAPEST I got quoted for a '04 Ninja 250R (Before I decided to buy used and was shopping for insurance rates) was 1.3k a year. I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled for a 750. This was, by the way, with the person who was working with me giving me two years ("assuming" -- note the quotes -- that I had been riding since I turned 16) of riding experience. Buy used, buy small CC. Make your ins. company love you.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i took out 6500 for my 02 gsxr 1000, and insurance is 700/year for full coverage with a good record 23 year old male.

loan from state farm, insurance from state farm.

·
Registered
430 Posts
wow, I was quoted $800 a year for full coverage on my ZX, some people pay WAY too much for insurance.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
too many variables as i stated earlier.........

even w/ the same age a driving record, somebody in Houston is gonna pay a hella lot more then somebody in BFE wisconsin.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
ATXBacon said:
Capital one requires a minimum of 7500$ as well :eek: .
If they do it as a personal loan (no collateral), take the loan of 7500, buy the bike, and make a BIG first payment with the leftover...

Another way might be to get a credit card an do paypal, then keep an eye out for other credit card offers with 0% (or at least low%) balance transfer to move the debt to...

·
Registered
498 Posts
What's wrong with an FZR600? Wonderful bikes. Great street machines. If you own it outright, don't go looking for something different as a college student. I own two and love the bike. Just keep it and get something newer out of college.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts