Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a real quick question. (ok quick question, long story) i was supposed to be attending motorcycle mechanics institute in july of this year in Orlando, but recently had to un-enroll due to lack of funds. im 19 years old and my parents make too much money for me to get grants and such from the government. and since im under 24 (the age the dept of education says you finally become financially independent from your parents) they go off their income not mine. they say the only way i can get financal independence is if ive served 4 years active military (they wont take me), get married (not gonna happen), have a kid (neither is that, eventually but not right now.), or have lived on my own for 3 years (ive been on my own for 1 1/2) im stuck being dependent on them. so i got a little over 8000 in loans from the govt. but im left with 16,852 of tuition to cover. its $25,000 for the entire program and when i get out i would be factory ceritified for honda, kawisaki, yamaha, and suzuki. my parents refuse to co-sign for me to go to school because they are worried i will ruin their credit,(keep in mind i pay my credit cards 2 times a month, and i have as good of a credit score i guess a 19 year old can have) but i cant get a loan for that much by my self and i have noone willing or able to co-sign, i tried online and i cant find any scholarships or grants....so i guess my question is..does anyone know how to get around the system or somthing so i can go to school!?!?! thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunatly thats what i think too....i was just hoping somone out there may be able to help....oh well...i guess i either gotta save, get married, wait till im 24, or i guess hope somone else out there has any info. but i will go to school eventually.
 

·
Resident Freak
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Sucks, huh. Unless you're a minority or you've somehow fucked up your life, you're pretty well screwed. There are places that will loan you money (Sallie Mae, for example), but the interest rates are high. It never ceases to amaze me that American lenders capitalize off of Americans trying to better themselves by going to school.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
Hmm....ARE you a minority? Black, oriental, mexican, hell, anything? If so, there's a grant for nearly every single race other than white for no other reason than being other than white. Don't even have to be 100% a particular race...as long as you have something that's not white.

Try Lendingtree.com. They enter you into a LOT of banks and lenders to see if anyone can give you a loan.

Do you currently have a job? Small business or large corporation? If it's a corp., than some give grants for stuff like this. If it's a small busines, ask your boss for a loan.

Have any older friends with good credit that would do sign for you? You may not want to impose on them, but if one of my buddies asked for me to, so that he could get an education, I'd do it in a minute.

That's all I got man. All I can say is that if this is something you REALLY want to do, you WILL find a way. Do not give up man. Education is extremely important, and it's very hard to do it when you're older (I'm finding this out myself now). Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
I was in the same boat years ago. Parents made too much for financial aid, but couldnt/wouldn't help me. I joined the Air Force (obviously.) Do you mind my asking why they won't take you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Hmm....ARE you a minority? Black, oriental, mexican, hell, anything? If so, there's a grant for nearly every single race other than white for no other reason than being other than white. Don't even have to be 100% a particular race...as long as you have something that's not white.
Not really true. I'm asian and trying to get a college scholarship on those credentials alone is a shot in the dark. I scored pretty well on my SAT yet I still didn't get a dime of financial aid. It stands to reason I suppose because among all racial groups, including whites, asians reportedly have the highest rates of college attendance.
 

·
Resident Freak
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
pwang said:
Not really true. I'm asian and trying to get a college scholarship on those credentials alone is a shot in the dark. I scored pretty well on my SAT yet I still didn't get a dime of financial aid. It stands to reason I suppose because among all racial groups, including whites, asians reportedly have the highest rates of college attendance.
I side with Tragik; when I was scrapping for money in college, I found scholarships for every ethnic group under the sun, save for plain old white American males. I'm certain if you look hard enough and consult your college's Asian groups/clubs/etc, you'll find something to apply for. That's not to say you'll get the particular scholarship, but at least you have something to apply for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive tried everything. my company does tuition reinmb. but i work at a call center so they wont let me got unless it helps me grow with the company.... and of course i am 100% caucasian so im screwed there....wouldnt you think there would be scholarships for girls wanting to go to school for motorcycle mechanics? i though so and i cant find any what so ever. the only person that had the credit to help me (not f-ed up credit and old enough) was my aunt and she would only sign for up to 5000 and thats not gonna help me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
theshouldersong2 said:
ok i have a real quick question. (ok quick question, long story) i was supposed to be attending motorcycle mechanics institute in july of this year in Orlando, but recently had to un-enroll due to lack of funds. im 19 years old and my parents make too much money for me to get grants and such from the government. and since im under 24 (the age the dept of education says you finally become financially independent from your parents) they go off their income not mine. they say the only way i can get financal independence is if ive served 4 years active military (they wont take me), get married (not gonna happen), have a kid (neither is that, eventually but not right now.), or have lived on my own for 3 years (ive been on my own for 1 1/2) im stuck being dependent on them. so i got a little over 8000 in loans from the govt. but im left with 16,852 of tuition to cover. its $25,000 for the entire program and when i get out i would be factory ceritified for honda, kawisaki, yamaha, and suzuki. my parents refuse to co-sign for me to go to school because they are worried i will ruin their credit,(keep in mind i pay my credit cards 2 times a month, and i have as good of a credit score i guess a 19 year old can have) but i cant get a loan for that much by my self and i have noone willing or able to co-sign, i tried online and i cant find any scholarships or grants....so i guess my question is..does anyone know how to get around the system or somthing so i can go to school!?!?! thanks!
Hey whats up man,
I work for the Federal Student Aid Information Center.
Where all the apps for Student aid gets processed!
And if your parents decide not to give there information so that you can go to school and you are still a dependant of theres. Get married! lol
Just kidding! All you can do is talk to the Finanicial Aid Office and see if they have another option for you. They have other alternate things that you can do to get around that sometimes its a hassle. Are you sure that you are a dependant according to the FAFSA? Read Step # on the hard copy and see if you answer any questions yes and if you even answer one question yes you ARE INDEPENDANT WHICH MEANS YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR PARENTS INFORMATION. Hope that this helps Pm me if you have anymore Quesitons. :phatyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
theshouldersong2 said:
ok i have a real quick question. (ok quick question, long story) i was supposed to be attending motorcycle mechanics institute in july of this year in Orlando, but recently had to un-enroll due to lack of funds. im 19 years old and my parents make too much money for me to get grants and such from the government. and since im under 24 (the age the dept of education says you finally become financially independent from your parents) they go off their income not mine. they say the only way i can get financal independence is if ive served 4 years active military (they wont take me), get married (not gonna happen), have a kid (neither is that, eventually but not right now.), or have lived on my own for 3 years (ive been on my own for 1 1/2) im stuck being dependent on them. so i got a little over 8000 in loans from the govt. but im left with 16,852 of tuition to cover. its $25,000 for the entire program and when i get out i would be factory ceritified for honda, kawisaki, yamaha, and suzuki. my parents refuse to co-sign for me to go to school because they are worried i will ruin their credit,(keep in mind i pay my credit cards 2 times a month, and i have as good of a credit score i guess a 19 year old can have) but i cant get a loan for that much by my self and i have noone willing or able to co-sign, i tried online and i cant find any scholarships or grants....so i guess my question is..does anyone know how to get around the system or somthing so i can go to school!?!?! thanks!
Hey whats up man,
I work for the Federal Student Aid Information Center.
Where all the apps for Student aid gets processed!
And if your parents decide not to give there information so that you can go to school and you are still a dependant of theres. Get married! lol
Just kidding! All you can do is talk to the Finanicial Aid Office and see if they have another option for you. They have other alternate things that you can do to get around that sometimes its a hassle. Are you sure that you are a dependant according to the FAFSA? Read Step 3 on the hard copy and see if you answer any questions yes and if you even answer one question yes you ARE INDEPENDANT WHICH MEANS YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR PARENTS INFORMATION. Hope that this helps Pm me if you have anymore Quesitons. :phatyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh well thanks again guys for the info... i appreciate it. i guess i will just have to wait...but i will go eventually!!! i am one determined woman!
 

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Drifter said:
Sucks, huh. Unless you're a minority or you've somehow fucked up your life, you're pretty well screwed. There are places that will loan you money (Sallie Mae, for example), but the interest rates are high. It never ceases to amaze me that American lenders capitalize off of Americans trying to better themselves by going to school.
eh, not true. my brother is black and my mother is the only one supporting him financially, and the financial aid package he got from the school that actually sent him info to get him interested in them, still leaves a whopping 17,000 for him and the family to come up with before he can go to school. And that's including grants and loans. They are going to talk to the school to see about a better package, but it really makes me wonder to see people acting like as long as you are minority this and that and that happens when it STILL comes down to what income bracket you are in, and what type of grades you have.

I personally received a full scholarship based on my SAT and ACT scores and high school grades, and it has nothing to do with me being black (especially at a black school, where i am not exactly a minority)...0

If more minorities are getting FEDERAL financial aid, it is only because the history of this country leaves minorities at a much lesser starting point and economically it takes more than 1960s-2005 to make up for the hundreds of years prior to the civil rights acts...

And there are under the table ways to become independent...you listed all of them. I have heard of people paying off people to get marriages just to get citizenship, haven't heard of anyone paying off a friend to get married just to get independent status for financial aid...yet...

And since your parents are in too high of an income bracket, why exactly are they not taking out private loans to pay for your schooling? If they were interested in helping you and have good credit it seems to me the federal government shoud not be their first and last stop.

You can take less than full time classes and work to cover the cost. Your parents can take a second mortgage on their home. They can take out a loan with a bank. You can take out a loan with a bank...you can talk to the financial aid office at your school and ask for the alternatives...

If all else fails, work and take only the classes you can afford. That takes much longer but hell, one class a semester or 2 classes is better than giving up on your dream. I am contemplating withdrawing from a class as it is because the school made an error with my fin. aid in the fall and are taking it out of my financial aid for this semester, which is messing up the amount of money i thought i would have available to take care of housing, food, transport...i need money for the expenses outside of tuition, and there is no parent help and a cap on the amount of aid i get for the summer.
 

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
also, who is it saying that you have been supporting yourself for the past 1.5 years? if your parents are not able or not willing to fork over the expected family contribution, they needed to have stopped claiming you their taxes and they also need to help you conspire to prove you HAVE been taking care of yourself for the last 3 years...
 

·
Resident Freak
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
^^^ Sounds like you have a lot to learn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
unfortunatly i dont have the option to only take certain classes. the classes are 5 hours a day set. its not too flexible the way MMI is set up. and if i were to work and pay for it while im in school it still works out to over 1000 a month for school alone. not to mention rent, food etc. theres no way my job pays that well....my parents have perfect credit but they are not willing to take out private loans or to co sign on a loan for me. i tried getting a loan through sallie mae but i dont have sufficient credit to take out a loan for over 16,000 by myself to cover the amount of school the govt wont.
 

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
yeah i wanted to try sallie mae too but the credit's not good enough.

it's really bad that your parents don't want to help out. You might just have to work full time for now and save up, and 2.5 years from now when you can claim independence, go back...in the meantime, maybe you can find some alternative program at a local community college that doesn't require so much money?

again, see if one of the nicer financial aid officers know anything or any loopholes for you. me, i am running around trying to find any open OPS positions, but even that won't be decided til July because the fiscal year end is june 30...ah, college life. [/sarcasm]

Good luck.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top