Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no i don't have a bike yet, but i finally got a job where they pay me decent so i can start saving for a bike!
how much should i have saved up to get started?
i was thinking 2500 for a bike
about 700 for gear
and the MSF course here is 150. sound good?

i am 5'11 and currently weigh about 289. i been loosing weight since january cause i wanna ride a motorcycle. i came down from 320 :O
i would really love a 08 ninja 250r i sat on one and felt really comfty on it. but i been looking around and i dont think itd be safe for me considering i drive 40 miles to work highway and then 3 miles city
then 40 back home.
i was thinking maybe ninja 500r would be a better fit
i havent sat on this but this is a bike in my price range. semms like the best choice for me
i have no riding experince at all. i also sat on a ninja 650r and LOVED it
if i were to get a used 650r like 06-09 as a first bike would it be a good idea to do payments since i wouldnt be able to afford it upfront? i think id keep the 500r for a year or so and the 650 for atleast 3 years.
and the f4i was pretty good too,
need some advice please on this :)

as for gear i was thinking about getting textile gear and smx5 boots and AGV K4 helmet or a Bell RS1.
i dont fit in arais helmets and shoei is a tight fit on me. to much pressure on the front of my head.
any advice will be greatly appreciated and i hope to be riding by my birthday which is in december, seems long but i feel like thats the best i can do with all these bills and such.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i was going to say go with leather for gear, but if you continue to lose weight that would be a waste, you are on a good track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey man congrats on the weight loss. The 250 are good starter bikes, perfectly capable of making long trips at highway speeds. However the 500 might be more suited for you. Get a used bike you'll be OK in dropping, because it happens and more so to new riders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, the 500r would be good enough to haul me around and get me up to 80 on the highway? with a good amount of throttle left to get me out of trouble?
im aiming to be around 220-230 by december. maybe i can get a 250r :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was going to say go with leather for gear, but if you continue to lose weight that would be a waste, you are on a good track.
yeah maybe durning the cold days ill wear leather,

im also going to want to track my bike. it looks sooooo fun to ride on the track.
i wanna get down to 190 before i join a racing school or something.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Gear wise I'd suggest you look on ebay and don't shy away from getting it used if you want leather. You may find a really good deal on new kit on ebay, as I've often seen larger sizes (2x, 3x, etc.) go for a song in very good condition. For pants I'd suggest textile, probably an over pant you can wear over your clothes while commuting.

For the bike, I'm of the opinion that you should stick to the 250 because of your age. My thinking is at 19, you've only got got a few years of driving a car under your belt. And fewer of commuting to work. Street riding is in part about playing the odds, knowing when the danger level of the situation is elevated, anticipating and recognizing threats and avoiding them. Much of this you learn from riding, but it is easier to pick up and apply once you have a fair amount of experience in a cage. So I say, get the 250. Don't put yourself in situations where you're worried the bike won't have enough punch at 80 mph to get you out of trouble. You want the experience under your belt to avoid a situation at 80 mph where you're in trouble, or the skill to get out of it with braking, handling. Your first time commuting to work should be after you've got alot of bike miles under your belt, on a light day when alot of people aren't driving into work (like a holiday week), and the weather is optimal.

Pay cash for this bike. Don't finance it. Finance your insurance and make those monthly payments. This is a bike you'll likely have about 2 years, maybe less. You'll love it, but in a year, you'll know what your next bike should be, and in 2 yearsish, you be ready for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so the ninja 250r and 08 or 09 wouldnt have a problem hauling me around?
the speed limit here is 65 and people drive 70-75
what about the older ones? those go for about 1400-1800 where i live.
im all for getting a smaller bike and then going big learning the right way
im really trying to get to 250lbs by september

edit: also i am 19 but i act like im older i work 40 hours a week.
much much much more mature than other 19 year olds, i kinda have to be since my mom passed away in october 2011, had responsibility to pay mortgage and utilities bills and take care of my sister and pitbull :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's not about maturity. It's about the amount of time you've actively spent operating a vehicle and the amount of situations you've encountered. If you were 30 and had just started driving at 27, I'd say the same thing.

As for the Ninja 250, I've got a 2004 myself, and I've ridden it two up for a combined weight of well over 320 pounds. It is rated up to carry up to 342 pounds. Now did it handle as well with two riders at ~320 as it did with one rider between 190 - 220, no. But it was acceptable in the city and would still do highway speeds. It just took longer to accelerate and took longer to stop. I really think you'd be fine on one, and if you can get one for 1500ish, you'll end up selling it for 1500ish, if you sell it. I keep mine because it's hella fun. You can really throw one around and they are very forgiving machines. The more upright position is going to be better for you in the short term too. I know when I am heavier (my weight over the last decade has been between 175 and 225 at different points in time, and I am 5' 10''), it's harder to ride longer periods of time on a sport bike. You hold yourself upright with your core muscles (and inevitably your arms) and the heavier you are, the less endurance you'll have. So keep trying to lose weight, and riding can help you do it. I know I enjoy it more when I'm in better overall shape.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The Ninja 250 is a great bike. I don't think the 500 is too much for a new rider. Finding a Ninja 650 under $2,500 that doesn't have a lot of issues will be difficult at best.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
so the ninja 250r and 08 or 09 wouldnt have a problem hauling me around?
the speed limit here is 65 and people drive 70-75
what about the older ones? those go for about 1400-1800 where i live.
im all for getting a smaller bike and then going big learning the right way
im really trying to get to 250lbs by september

edit: also i am 19 but i act like im older i work 40 hours a week.
much much much more mature than other 19 year olds, i kinda have to be since my mom passed away in october 2011, had responsibility to pay mortgage and utilities bills and take care of my sister and pitbull :)
As was mentioned above, pay cash for your first, used, inexpensive bike. Your last comment adds another twist, however. Sorry to hear about your mom. Assuming you already have a car, don't expect a bike to save you any money. It will only be an added expense and should be considered a toy. A 250 will definitely minimize the expense, however. Learn how to do the maintenance yourself to save more $$.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks man, and yeah i got a car a 95 civic, great gas saver :D
i been wanting a bike for about 3 years now :(
now is my chance to start saving to get one
imma try to score an 08 250r for 2300-2500 around here
or an a pre 08 model with low miles for like 1300-1500
then take the msf course
then buy all my gear (some motorcycle gear places have like 10-15% off if u have the msf certificate :D )

fellas hopefully i can be riding by december :/

i got prices for stuff id wanna get

bell rs1 350 or agv k4 evo 200-250 or a scorpion if they fit me nice which i see online at around 100-150bucks
smx plus boots 200
i will be buying used jacket and pants trying to be under 300
and a ninja 250r for 1500

all this will come out to 2450-2600
which i think is PERFECT to get started.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Fall/ winter is the best time to buy a bike. Prices are at their lowest. Might be different in LA. I understand you guys don't have what we have. Little thing called 'seasons' and 'winter'. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks guys, the 500r would be good enough to haul me around and get me up to 80 on the highway? with a good amount of throttle left to get me out of trouble?
im aiming to be around 220-230 by december. maybe i can get a 250r :D
My two cents is get the 500r. Its a very capable bike and you wont get bored with it even when you gain more experience. I started on a 250 then had a 600ss for a while putting 5kish miles b/w them, and got my ninja 500 last august. I've put about 5k miles on it since and love it, ill be riding it on the street for at least the next 2 years till I graduate college.

As far as highway riding goes it has no problem getting to 80, and in the rare instance u need to speed up to get outta trouble it still does so very quickly (I've commuted in la on it since august and had 1 instance where I needed to haul ass to avoid a collision, mostly u braking and swerving are your best friends I've found). I've done 100mph for miles going to vegas so don't underestimate it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
KeS is right dont forget the insurance... get a quote obv. but just to give u an example Im 20 and live in la, I pay about 550 a year for liability + 30K medical coverage for myself on my 500r. Also if u keep an eye on craigslist you could prolly grab a 500r for as cheap as a 250. my 2006 was 1600 with 10K miles when I got it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
thanks man, and yeah i got a car a 95 civic, great gas saver :D
i been wanting a bike for about 3 years now :(
now is my chance to start saving to get one
imma try to score an 08 250r for 2300-2500 around here
or an a pre 08 model with low miles for like 1300-1500
then take the msf course
then buy all my gear (some motorcycle gear places have like 10-15% off if u have the msf certificate :D )

fellas hopefully i can be riding by december :/

i got prices for stuff id wanna get

bell rs1 350 or agv k4 evo 200-250 or a scorpion if they fit me nice which i see online at around 100-150bucks
smx plus boots 200
i will be buying used jacket and pants trying to be under 300
and a ninja 250r for 1500

all this will come out to 2450-2600
which i think is PERFECT to get started.
The bell rs1 is a tighter fit then the shoei 1100 that you said was too tight. Both are oval shaped. Also does your job give you health insurance?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts