Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been lurking here for a few weeks or so in search of getting a bike. I am a total newb to motorcycles so I was looking for a ninja 250 come to find out with me being 6'4" riding the 250 would be a little rough. I was able to track down a 94 ninja 500 with 8400 miles on it. Few scratches here and there but nothing major. Missing the lower fairing, but I think I may have tracked one down on ebay for less than $100. I prolly wont actually start riding until the fall, due to the fact I have alot to do. I work full time and go to school at night part time. So in my spare 15 mins. I have a week I have to register this thing/turn in the title work. Get my license, and sign up for the MSF course which I have heard in the Raleigh area is all booked until august or later. So after that I have to paint the lower fairing, remove all current decals(they look weathered, but paint looks great) replace decals I am hoping to get from a guy online for $40, then clean the carbs. Hopefully I will have enough money to have the valvles adjusted on this thing cause I don't know when the last time it was done. Anyone know a good mechanic in Raleigh, or someone in Raleigh area that knows what they are doing that would do it for beer or cheap or help me do it?Well thats the story, I hope to get everything done by august or so, so I can start riding this thing, but it doesn't look like its it gonna happen. Oh and then clean the chain and make sure everything is in top notch order. Then it is time to ride.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Whats up man...good to have another EX'er on board. Mine is an 01 but looks like hell...but it gets me around. I have both manuals if you need to use them but haven't done the adjustment myself. Just keep posting up. :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Congrats on the bike. Now, take some time off work, get everything taken care of, and ride it. :D

Also, with only 8400 miles, does it even need a valve adjustment yet? My SV only requires them every 15k miles (yeah, i know the ex isn't an sv, but still....).

·
Registered
355 Posts
welcom mang :beer

·
Registered
791 Posts
I come to this site too much, it's time to find a job. Hey man, F the paint job and fairing and decals. Why do you think you need your carbs cleaned ??? Were you told the bike was just sitting around?

In my opinion just go to Barnes and nobles and order a Haynes manual for your bike or better yet borrow Kazlabs for a week. and just do the basic maintenance.

Personally when i got my bike I just changed the spark plugs $35, made sure the oil was fine, bought new chain and sprockets $100 shipped ebay. Checked throttle & clutch play. After those little things + others from the book, i feel safe.

You sound like you want to invest a whole hell of a $$$ into your bike. Just ride it now and then hook it up or upgrade much later. My bikes been down already, if i woulda painted it did all the stuff your talkn about doing BEFORE you rode it, I'd be pissed off right now. Just my $0.02

Welcome to the NC forum :flipa

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, you did the right thing by getting a 500. If you want to know how much it is going to benefit you in the end, just watch mike ride ;)

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
Oh Shit ! another ex from hell! (kazlab) Congrats on the bike ! I respect new riders that dont feel like they have to go out and buy a 750 or 1000. Good job , I teach MSF classes , PM Me and let me know about when you want to take it , and i will see if i can get you in , and maybe for free. oh yea.. hell with all that work , GEt the bike on the road !

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
bugeyed said:
Congrats on the new bike, you did the right thing by getting a 500. If you want to know how much it is going to benefit you in the end, just watch mike ride ;)
No friggin kidding man. :lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
Congrats dude, glad you find a 500 for a reasonable price! I still haven't sold mine man! Oh well, I'm gonna relist it on ebay I suppose. The bikes a great choice for a first bike. You should learn the fundamentals well on it. Hope to see you on the road sometime. Peace.

·
Registered
791 Posts
drmnlateef said:
Congrats dude, glad you find a 500 for a reasonable price! I still haven't sold mine man! Oh well, I'm gonna relist it on ebay I suppose. The bikes a great choice for a first bike. You should learn the fundamentals well on it. Hope to see you on the road sometime. Peace.

have you put the bike in cycletrader?>?? Good prices, to me at least. Plus you get online and book ads.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TRaGiK said:
Congrats on the bike. Now, take some time off work, get everything taken care of, and ride it. :D

Also, with only 8400 miles, does it even need a valve adjustment yet? My SV only requires them every 15k miles (yeah, i know the ex isn't an sv, but still....).
the ninjas apparently are supposed to have the valves doen every 6k. I wish I had vacation time to take off work. I pretty much have to use all my vacation to get my school stuff done.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SnookayDCC said:
I come to this site too much, it's time to find a job. Hey man, F the paint job and fairing and decals. Why do you think you need your carbs cleaned ??? Were you told the bike was just sitting around?

In my opinion just go to Barnes and nobles and order a Haynes manual for your bike or better yet borrow Kazlabs for a week. and just do the basic maintenance.

Personally when i got my bike I just changed the spark plugs $35, made sure the oil was fine, bought new chain and sprockets $100 shipped ebay. Checked throttle & clutch play. After those little things + others from the book, i feel safe.

You sound like you want to invest a whole hell of a $$$ into your bike. Just ride it now and then hook it up or upgrade much later. My bikes been down already, if i woulda painted it did all the stuff your talkn about doing BEFORE you rode it, I'd be pissed off right now. Just my $0.02

Welcome to the NC forum :flipa

Plugs were just changed, and oil was just changed. Chain could prolly use some cleaning. Clutch and brakes feel ok I will find out tonight when I actually ride it for a few feet. The only thing I plan on painting is the lower cowling if I can get ahold of one, and I am just gonna use some spray paint and clear coat. Nothing fancy, just so it doesn't look like trash. The decals were pretty cheap. I don't plan on investing more than like $80 on my bike right now. Oh and the person that owned the bike said the carbs could prolly use a cleaning so I am just going by his word. However I reved it to about 8k and it didn't sputter or anything at all was smooth as butter. So I dunno. I plan on cleaning the carbs and all myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A 250??? All newbie's need to have a Gixer1k,R1 or a 1kRR ....man what were you thinking?

No really your starting the right way!!!

Now as I always say "If you ain't goet gear ...get some gear"!

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked it up last night yeah. I got a 500 not the 250 I heard the 250 would be way to small for me anyways. I already got a helmet and jacket with the bike. I rode it a little last night just around my parking lot, and getting used to first gear is rough. I am still a little afraid of it right now. But better to be afraid cause I am not likely to go out and do something stupid. Basically I am not really afraid afraid just repect its power. This is the biggest thing I have driven other than a scooter that goes like 45. That thing had the horsepower of a weedeater.

·
Registered
791 Posts
what area do you live around sukem?

what did you mean by 1st gear is rough?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live right near NCSU right near lake johnson. Actually I live right across the street from lake johson. I mean getting going right from a dead stop is a little scary. I find that I rev the gas a little more than I need to, so when I let the clutch out I get going to fast. That scares me a tad.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I know the area around State a lil bit but not much. I was going to suggest you ride the bike to an empty school lot or something but from your last post i woudlnt suggest that anymore. If you know of a good empty lot around that area and If you have a car I could roll down there one day, ride your bike to a lot then you could get your pratice in in an open area. Unless the parking lot your currently in is big enough.

On my bike I normally move my wrist about a Centimeter and start releasing clutch. My take offs are always smooth. the 1st few times times i got on the bike I wasnt holding my throttle correctly and that was making me give it too much gas, which maybe you're doing. Someone on the board said to "keep your knuckles above your wrist." Instead of holding the throttle in the way that your arm + hand = a straight line.

I've been holding it like that and havnt had a problem with overthrottling. Hey i know you havnt taken MSF but have you read "Total Control" or "Proficient Motorcycling: ultimate guide to riding well."

You must learn about the Friction Zone in the clutch. Learning that and everything else is childs play, IMO. For instance I can rev the shit out of my bike, well i havnt gone past 7/8 rpms, and the bike still wont lurch out or speed off when i release the clutch.

Pic #1 is how i hold my throttle.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I have been holding it the wrong way apparently. I won't go far until I take the MSF. My parking lot is pretty big and I am not more than 2 blocks from athens drive high school. Plus she isn't registered yet, so I definitely won't be going far. The guy that had the bike before me obviously didn't take that great of care of it. I spent the whole day cleaning the bike from top to bottom. He lived off a dirt road and the chain and bike were filthy. Along with cob webs and crap all over it. I thought she had an oil leak but the goob just didn't tighten down the drain plug to well. Although he just put in new NGK plugs, nology(sp?) wires, and k&N filter. I can smell a decent amount of exhaust smell which leads me to believe he is right that the carbs could use a good cleaning. Now all I have left is to clean the wheels and tires really good. Then she will be all clean and shiny. I also lubed up all the pivot points I could possibly find today(i.e. clutch cable, brake cables, shift linkages and such. I am really bad about meticulous maintenance on things. Everything has to be done at the specific mileage specified while using the highest quality parts available. I need new exhaust also, I thought I could just clean these up and be done. But the rust is really bad on some spots and just can't buff it out. Someone walking by the bike prolly wouldn't know where it was but I know its there. So I will be checking ebay for some exhaust components. But first things first, she needs a really good carb cleaning. She idles damn near perfect so I doubt the carbs need any adjusting or what not. I just believe there is all kinds of carbon build ups in there. Prolly need to do a hot soak on the engine also to get the built up crap out. Well anyways I am already really obsessed with my bike and I haven't ridden her but about 20 yards.

·
Registered
791 Posts
hey man if the bike is idling "....perfect" doenst that mean the carbs are fine? I dont know too much about carbs but i believe bad idling is what makes ppl know their carbs may need cleaning. You should ask around about that you may not need to pull the carbs out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts