Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels nice to have learnt riding bikes this weekend (hey, where is my weekend!?!). First thing tomorrow I am going to get my new license with 'M' on it. :D

It was becasue of you guys that I took the MSF and I learnt a lot from it. Now, I don't have a bike nor any friends who ride. So I want to get a bike.
Most people on this forum advice to start small. I am gonna go ahead and start with a 500cc bike. And most people also advice to get a used bike.

But at this point I am not really sure of where to get a bike from...the dealership or individuals? I would like to sit on the bikes and see which ones are most comfortable and look good. How do I know which one is good or what are the buying procedures for a bike? Some ways dealers may try to 'scam' you? What to look for in a used bike?

So I am gonna rely on you guys again.
lats
Ashwin

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
You can always go to the dealerships to look at bikes and sit on them to see how they feel, but I would go with used since it is going to be your first bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guys, I found a bike near me: 2000 KAWASAKI NINJA, 500, 1100mi, like new, blue, garage kept, never dropped, mint, recent tuneup, $3650

Looks nice in the picture provided, although its not clear. I am gonna probably take a look at it in the next 2-3 days, so tell me what to ask the owner? And what common things to look for?

Thanks
Ashwin

EDIT: how is the price for that

·
Registered
681 Posts
futurebiker said:
Guys, I found a bike near me: 2000 KAWASAKI NINJA, 500, 1100mi, like new, blue, garage kept, never dropped, mint, recent tuneup, $3650

Looks nice in the picture provided, although its not clear. I am gonna probably take a look at it in the next 2-3 days, so tell me what to ask the owner? And what common things to look for?

Thanks
Ashwin

EDIT: how is the price for that
First look at the link RacerX posted about used bike buying tips.

Second, that price SUCKS! 3k retail on that yr/model from KBB.....he is waaay high. You should be able to get it for 25-2800!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
taziscool said:
First look at the link RacerX posted about used bike buying tips.

Second, that price SUCKS! 3k retail on that yr/model from KBB.....he is waaay high. You should be able to get it for 25-2800!
Yeah, I am reading that right now. I just called the guy and he said he bought the bike for 7k... :boid

The bike retails for 5.9 k I think or was it 4,9? I want to ask you people about one more thing...he said he had to replace/redo the carbuerettor because the bike was lying idle for a long time? How safe is it to buy a bike like that?

·
Registered
584 Posts
he could've paid $7K total for it. I did. But that included 3 year warranty/free maintenance + theft coverage (if it gets stolen, dealership pays me for it). And both things are transferrable to the next owner.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If all you're getting is the bike, the price is way high. Three year warranty and service are long gone on a 2000. If he indeed paid $7K and got all that stuff, that doesn't do anything for you now.

On the other hand, that's a great first bike if in good shape. If it sat for a long time, the carbs may have become gummed up due to the old gas turning to varnish. Probably needed to have the carbs rebuilt (taken apart, cleaned, and new gaskets). If bikes like that move fast in your area, it won't last long once he figures out the right price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts