Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I don't post much but have been lurking around the forums for a while now.

I finally purchased my new bike... now before I get grilled on the purchase, I want to give you a bit of background on my riding experience. I have never owned a street bike, but have been riding dirt since I was 12.. (24 now)

Ive gone through a CRF250, CRF450, and now found a new love for the 2 strokes and am riding a 2001 KX250. So I'm not new to bikes at all.

I went to the local bike shop last weekend and was standing looking at the 2013 CBR600RR and the 2013 kawi 636. I knew deep down I shouldn't buy one of these for my first exposure to riding the streets.... as tempting and as sexy as they are I found myself looking to the CBR500, Cheap on insurance, looks alright at best, but felt that with my experience on the 450 and 250 that I would learn the bike quickly and get "bored"(if that's possible on 2 wheels).

I ended up pulling the tr***** on a 2011 Suzuki SV650S in white. I think this will be a great bike to get some experience on and I cant see myself getting bored with it. I have a few buddies who all were telling me to buy the CBR or the Kawi, but I went with the 650 anyway.

Just though I would post a picture of my new bike.. hope you all like it.. I know I do. The dealer even threw in the rear seat cowl!

I pick it up on Saturday!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
As a former SV650S owner, I'm sure you'll like it. Hit up svrider and maybe look into doing your TPS adjustment and ATRE over there. (Search their forums, you'll see what those are and their benefits.)

Good choice. Looks great in white.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Congrats, looks awesome. In regards to the above post, ride it for a while stock before doing any mods to be sure you really want/need them, not just because everyone else does it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Congrats, looks awesome. In regards to the above post, ride it for a while stock before doing any mods to be sure you really want/need them, not just because everyone else does it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's true...but the engine braking on that bike is...wow. (The mods reduce this.) Furthermore, the TPS makes it so it doesn't feel like it's going to stall below 3500RPM.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The engine braking is one of the great things about the bike. Forces you to learn smooth throttle control quickly. I could cruise all day at 2k rpm without any surging, so I don't know that every bike necessarily needs adjusted

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the bike! They're insanely comfortable and peppy enough to get you out of trouble! (Had the pleasure of test riding one and really like it)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The engine braking is one of the great things about the bike. Forces you to learn smooth throttle control quickly. I could cruise all day at 2k rpm without any surging, so I don't know that every bike necessarily needs adjusted

OP: If you're experiencing any of the niggles that a hefty percentage of other SV rides do you may want to look into those things on those forums. (Excessive engine braking and 'interesting' throttle controls below 3500 or 4000 RPM) Then again, they may not have these quirks on the UK version.

Happy? :dodgy

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I like that bike a lot. Good luck with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts