Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of my ten year anniversary on SBN, I think I'm going to finally buy a new bike in the spring. So I better start researching now...

The V-Strom will turn 60k miles next week. It's been completely worry free and had no issues outside of normal maintenance. Alas... I'm getting the urge to pick up a new steed.

Given my history of bikes it's clear that I have a penchant for ugly rides. So basically I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Kawasaki Versus
2. Ducati Multistrada 1100S (2V models)
3. Ducati hypermotard/hyperstrada

I can't bring myself to spend more than 7-8k for a bike which puts the latest Multistradas out of reach, and I really like the svelte lines of the 2007-2009 models. I've always lusted after a Ducati and figure this is my best chance of getting one. Since I mostly highway commute on my bike, I think the hypermotard is out, and I suspect the hyperstrada will be more than I want to spend.

So I can find plenty of 2007-2009 1100S multistradas in my price range used online. Naturally my apprehension is the maintenance. On my jap bikes I've always done my own work - oil, chains/sprockets, valve adjustments, etc... everything but tire changes. Still, the older ducatis are known for being a bit of a PITA on the valve intervals, and I do put about 5-8k/year commuting so that would mean one valve check per year mandatory.

So that's the tradeoff... do I suck it up and just do the extra maintenance myself (no dealers anywhere near me), or do I just say eff it and get a Versys... and basically not have to worry about anything for another 8-10 years?

Oh yeah - previous bikes are:

1993 - GSX-1100G
2002 - Hayabusa
2007 - DL650
2007 - Ninja 650 (wife's ride)

Don't bother recommending this bike or that bike, it's basically between the multi and the versys.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Air Cooled Multistrada = Plastic Tank = Swollen Tank (ethanol) = $$$$

That issue by itself would put the Multistrada out of my list. On the other hand, it's a Desmodue, which is the most DIY friendly Desmo out there. Belt and valve adjustments are feasible for a good DIY mechanic. IIRC the only "special tool" needed was to adjust the belts, but it can be done with a phone app.

On the other hand, the Versys is a gas and oil bike, no "common issues" other than the fact that it buzzes and the fairings rattle. You can get leftover brand new Versys for $6500 OTD if you know where to look, the fact that they are ugly as sin helps. It is pretty much a tall Ninja 650 with much better suspension and a big gas tank. If you like your wife's Ninja, you'll probably like the Versys, but if you find the Ninja "buzzy", forget about it.

Reactions: ty454

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Was going to recommend the FZ-09, but...he said don't try and say this or that bike.

But @ $7990 NEW.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
New 2015 Versys has been unvelied at Intermot. Expect the 2014 and older Versys prices to plumet, leftovers will be had for scraps.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Air Cooled Multistrada = Plastic Tank = Swollen Tank (ethanol) = $$$$

That issue by itself would put the Multistrada out of my list. On the other hand, it's a Desmodue, which is the most DIY friendly Desmo out there. Belt and valve adjustments are feasible for a good DIY mechanic. IIRC the only "special tool" needed was to adjust the belts, but it can be done with a phone app.

On the other hand, the Versys is a gas and oil bike, no "common issues" other than the fact that it buzzes and the fairings rattle. You can get leftover brand new Versys for $6500 OTD if you know where to look, the fact that they are ugly as sin helps. It is pretty much a tall Ninja 650 with much better suspension and a big gas tank. If you like your wife's Ninja, you'll probably like the Versys, but if you find the Ninja "buzzy", forget about it.
Ohhh nooooo! I had totally forgotten all about the gas tank debacle and how Ducati totally bungled up their response. That right there may be enough to disqualify it - I'm not going to spend one cent dicking around back and forth with a dealer over warranty or recall issues. Unfortunately I don't think there was ever a real fix to the issue.

The Versys sounds like it has the lead right now. I don't mind the 2014, so hopefully they go on sale once the new ones come out. You're right that the Ninja is a bit buzzy, but to me it wasn't much worse than the V-strom at highway speeds. I think I could manage. I would get another V-strom but I think the new design is even uglier than the one I have. I don't mind the new DL1000, but don't want to pay that much.

It sucks being a cheap-ass sometimes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is no such thing as a low maintenance Ducati, and the plastic tank of ballooning and regret isn't a selling point either. Although good god they are pretty. The Versys on the other hand, while more of an acquired visual taste, is a fantastic bike, plenty of legroom, a decent sized tank, and the Ninja 650R engine in there is pretty zippy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts