Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm surprised no ones said anything about your choice of first bike, but I guess it's probably been beaten to death. I bet you wish you didn't have a brand new 2011 model all scratched up though. And please, remove the stickers. As admirable it is to stick to your name "Original Gangster", they're more suitable on the nazi helmet of a HD rider.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm surprised no ones said anything about your choice of first bike, but I guess it's probably been beaten to death. I bet you wish you didn't have a brand new 2011 model all scratched up though. And please, remove the stickers. As admirable it is to stick to your name "Original Gangster", they're more suitable on the nazi helmet of a HD rider.
I loved my 650r and it was my first bike. It's the top end of the starter bikes but a pretty solid bike that is both good for commuting in town, on the highway, and going out for some weekend fun.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I loved my 650r and it was my first bike. It's the top end of the starter bikes but a pretty solid bike that is both good for commuting in town, on the highway, and going out for some weekend fun.
I think he was talking about it being a brand new bike, not the model. And yes, its been discussed to death. Who cares how much he spent on the bike or whatnot? Not our money.

OP: Sucks that you crashed. Meh, it happens. Glad you're okay, and yes, get some riding pants!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think he was talking about it being a brand new bike, not the model. And yes, its been discussed to death. Who cares how much he spent on the bike or whatnot? Not our money.

OP: Sucks that you crashed. Meh, it happens. Glad you're okay, and yes, get some riding pants!!
Gotcha! I'll just leave that alone as i'm guilty of buying new for my first bike as well.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so far i passed the written portion now on to the riding. really missin my bike and yes i do regret it being brand new but i dont regret it bein a 650r. not sure what the other arguments here are for tho.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thank you. I'm now convinced I'll stop being a cheap ass and I'll find a set of decent leather pants. I've been a jeans warrior for the past 2 years and I even had 3 street crashes in them with 0 damage to myself. For some reason this thread convinced me my legs aren't invincible after all lol

Oh and I'm glad the damage to you and your bike is minimal. If I were you I wouldn't even fix the plastics - just fix the controls and go have fun (at least that's what I did with my bikes after I crashed them :))! Money spent on plastics are money thrown away.

:edit

Ok just read the comment below the pics - that's a bummer :(

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
As a new rider on a new-to-me bike, I'm glad to hear someone say this.

I accept that it can happen, and I prepare for it by wearing my gear and keeping the bike fully insured, but frankly I'd rather not go down. Every time I get on the bike (~1000 miles in the past two months) I tell myself the goal is to get it home in one piece. I still have fun and ejnoy the ride, but the focus is on keeping the sticky side down.
you are on the right track!! keep on with that mentality and you will have many successful miles (minus mini van mom making a hamburger out of you- which is only so much in your control LOL)
going down doesnt have to happen, between 3 bikes i have 30,000 miles and after this summer i will be pushing 50,000 miles. i have had 1 get off on the street, and it was a freak accident, that still could have been avoided and now i ride more carefully at night, especially with on coming traffic. i have had a couple of close calls on the 250R, that would have been crashes on more powerful bikes.
that was my point- just because you are new doesn't mean its the inevitable. I can't say I've been riding for years and years and years.. I have about 20,000 miles but far from the 10+ years some of our older members have... its just annoying to hear them say that because if you are responsible and observant- and don't ride like a jackass- it ISN"T the inevitable. I'm sure the longer you ride the more your odds go up of either having a get off- or getting into an accident (I don't lump those together for purposes of this discussion) but new doesn't = wreck. LOL
that's because we discussed this ad nauseum with the OP when he was first bike shopping... so we aren't going to bring it up and :deadhorse

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
ding ding

dat be mai (our) point! lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
so i am happy i passed msf finally. got 120 days to complete the 2nd lvl course. quick question where is a good place online to find a bluetooth headset?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wrecked my first bike after 2 months riding, also. I washed out in a turn going around 50 mph. About 8 months later, it's one of my favorite turns to go around. It has its own special little thrill with me.

Bike was obliterated. Helmet, jeans, and knee weren't much better off. Everything else was better protected.

I limped for a while, got an ugly scar, and got back on a new bike.

While I agree with I-Jo that assuming defeat causes defeat, most riders will go down sometime. The more aggressively you ride, the more frequently you ride, the more likely you will go down.

And that is why we wear the gear. :banana

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
i have to take another course cuz it is base requirement. cuz i have a sportbike i have to take an advanced rider course. for cruisers its somethin else.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i have to take another course cuz it is base requirement. cuz i have a sportbike i have to take an advanced rider course. for cruisers its somethin else.
Your base sucks. Just had to take the MSF course and get briefed by my commander about not being stupid and wearing the correct gear to ride on base. Obviously have to follow the gear requirements as well but they are lax as hell in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
why is everyone taking my title like i knew i was going to go down eventually but was just in denial? The reason the thread is titled that is because ppl kept barking in my ear about havin a lowside or high side eventually cuz it happens to everyone which btw i actually had a highside not a lowside and for those that figured this out thanks for not putting me on blast. anyhow i never think to go down or crash or anything at anytime i always get to thinking about what i should do to handle the situation best. i just happened to not see far ahead of me and react to that in time along with other factors.

fixing my bike isnt a huge deal since the piece is like a good 100 bucks or so and the placement is easy. I will actually take most of the stickers off and just repaint the bike altogether although i am tempted to make a theme with the scratches and scars. I am far from scared to ride again and far from feeling less of a rider than i was prior to going down. What happened was a learning experience not the first and def not the last.

on another way more newbish note, what are frame sliders? i could google but textbook answers dont do for me as good as an answer from those that actually use or used to use them.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
it was just an observation- not a flamefest... there have been 2 or 3 threads with finally- or it happened- like it was expected- this comment had less to do about YOU and more for the general newb populous... see comment that said "thanks for saying this blablablaballbiity bla bla"

now.. your question...
on a semi nekkid bike

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
on a fully faired bike
(these are less usefull because this bike is kind of a pig... and the top end is pretty fat- its gotten tipped over once and they did their job... on an actual slide... they wouldn't be as helpful as the ones on the SV1000 pictures above... which incidental that picture was taken about 5 minutes after said owner slide about 20-30 feet after hitting the paint line (paint lines are slippery when wet FYI) brand new paint job that survived quiet well due to said frame sliders. You want the ones attached to the frame- not the ones attached randomly that will rip off in a get off... or just take the plastics off your bike and rock the nekkid look :pfft

21 - 40 of 55 Posts