Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for riding for two months never had any crashes. Irony has it that the morning i am on my way to the msf course i lowside. luckily i am still attending the class with a school bike. Wont get into how i lowside i alreadu know what i did and could have done and all i can do now is not repeat it.

i will say that gear keep my body safe. after flyin off the bike at 30mph, sliding and then rolling over just to get right back up... i am thankful that only my knee was scraped up a bit cuz i had jeans. textile jacket and leather gloves aint got a scratch but will be getting a new helmet and some riding pants this weekend. still love riding and not scared to continue riding. thanks for beating in ATGATT.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Glad you're okay. Post some pictures if you get a chance. Also, post your gear reviews on the crash tested gear thread. I like to read through it every so often to see how gear is doing.

Hope your MSF course is going well.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you can see, the portion of the lower frame that holds my rear brake pedal and right foot peg is broke. The brake itself is still functional just can't place the pedal anywhere. I had to put my right foot on the passenger peg which looked weird. Told my wife and she suggested i move the rear brake pedal and the gear selector towards the passenger pegs so i have a more aggressive track style appeal to the 650r. I so thought about it too if i could.

Still lookin to find a replacement to that frame. I don't know the technical name for it and i do not want to keep calling it a rear set.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i will say that gear keep my body safe. after flyin off the bike at 30mph, sliding and then rolling over just to get right back up... i am thankful that only my knee was scraped up a bit cuz i had jeans. textile jacket and leather gloves aint got a scratch but will be getting a new helmet and some riding pants this weekend. still love riding and not scared to continue riding. thanks for beating in ATGATT.
Welcome new Safety Tzar Minion! You have told the ubiquitous "crashed in jeans...they failed...buying dedicated riding pants...ATGATT WORKS" story. Told ya so! Now you Grok the ATGATT concept. As you found out, even at low speed, jeans are chock full of fail as safety gear. Now you know...a 30 MPH crash is a LOT more violent than it sounds. Imagine if that had been a 60 MPH pavement sampling session. Just imagine the level of hurt you'd be in now without your MOTGATT. Now go forth, become fully geared and preach the word to the Squidly masses.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy at the dealership who helped me buy the bike hinted that insurance companies would try to jack up my rates for it and that it might save me money to just find the individual part online (not from Kawasaki).

My wife is going to compare this to our insurance because she made our policy to include a situation like this but is still not sure if there would be a penalty.

I knew the riding in jeans would bite me in the butt one day just didnt think it would be on MSF day.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. I'm glad that you are okay. I still vividly remember my first crash (also a low speed low side)even though it was over 21 years ago. Any possibilities of having the broken mount welded back on?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
sorry to hear about your get off... and I'm hoping you get yourself your new pants.

But on a side note- we have had several new riders and new bikes going down and I have seen almost every one say "finally" or "it happened" with the implication that it is ASSUMED you will go down as a new person.

I am loath to think that as a new rider you ASSUME you will be going down- I think its rubbish and people... by people I mean NEW RIDERS , need to get it out of their head that it is inevitable that because they are a new rider they will go down.

okay... off the soap box.

Reactions: binx_19

·
Supersquid
1,127 Posts
I dont know why anyone would wear pants on the street everytime...ive had a few really nasty wrecks but still just wear jeans. Saving a bit of skin isint worth sweating my nads off.Its bad enough having to carry around shoes in a bag if you plan on doing any serious walking

·
Registered
842 Posts
I dont know why anyone would wear pants on the street everytime...ive had a few really nasty wrecks but still just wear jeans. Saving a bit of skin isint worth sweating my nads off.Its bad enough having to carry around shoes in a bag if you plan on doing any serious walking
I wholeheartedly disagree. I value my skin quite a bit more than a little sweat.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
You live in Toronto, it's not that hot. To each their own though. To me, sweating is much preferred over skin loss... and I'm a self-admitted pussy when it comes to the heat and hot weather.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree. I value my skin quite a bit more than a little sweat.
You live in Toronto, it's not that hot. To each their own though. To me, sweating is much preferred over skin loss... and I'm a self-admitted pussy when it comes to the heat and hot weather.
agreed... although I am a bitch with cold- I still don't like being sweaty... only 1 or 2 events when a woman is sexy and sweaty- peeling leather off and dripping sweat... aint it... but yeah- I'll deal with that crap and save my skin for anther time to sweat and look hot ;)... cause yeah- road rash- it aint hot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
agreed... although I am a bitch with cold- I still don't like being sweaty... only 1 or 2 events when a woman is sexy and sweaty- peeling leather off and dripping sweat... aint it... but yeah- I'll deal with that crap and save my skin for anther time to sweat and look hot ;)... cause yeah- road rash- it aint hot.
Sweaty in leather is so much hotter than this

Lose enough skin and you get skin grafts that heal like this. Soooo hot /puke

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Doesnt look too bad. I would check on the parts list on ur bike. That whole assembly that holds the rearset my be replacable instead of having to replace that whole frame section.

Fyi your bike laid itself down because it was trying to rub off those hideous stickers! :twofinger

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
put some frame sliders on that bike would have probably reduced the damage taken by more than half... for 50$

·
Registered
51 Posts
But on a side note- we have had several new riders and new bikes going down and I have seen almost every one say "finally" or "it happened" with the implication that it is ASSUMED you will go down as a new person.

I am loath to think that as a new rider you ASSUME you will be going down- I think its rubbish and people... by people I mean NEW RIDERS , need to get it out of their head that it is inevitable that because they are a new rider they will go down.
As a new rider on a new-to-me bike, I'm glad to hear someone say this.

I accept that it can happen, and I prepare for it by wearing my gear and keeping the bike fully insured, but frankly I'd rather not go down. Every time I get on the bike (~1000 miles in the past two months) I tell myself the goal is to get it home in one piece. I still have fun and ejnoy the ride, but the focus is on keeping the sticky side down.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
sorry to hear about your get off... and I'm hoping you get yourself your new pants.

going down doesnt have to happen, between 3 bikes i have 30,000 miles and after this summer i will be pushing 50,000 miles. i have had 1 get off on the street, and it was a freak accident, that still could have been avoided and now i ride more carefully at night, especially with on coming traffic. i have had a couple of close calls on the 250R, that would have been crashes on more powerful bikes.

·
Registered
855 Posts

:agree I was thinking I was going to be reading a thread from someone who has been riding for years...then I saw it was in the New Riders Forum. :nilly
:agree

1 - 20 of 55 Posts