Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a bike for over a month now and finally found that special deal. It is a 1994 yamaha fzr 600 w/ 5,100 miles. Got it for $2100. Its completly stock, the owner paid $4400 for more than 3 years ago and barely ever rode it. Owner says everything works perfectly, just like it was brand new. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I can tell it has been dropped before as both sides have a scrapped areas, but you can only see them if your looking at them 5 feet or less away. I wanted something in early 90's with as low miles as possible so that I would have a reliable bike that keeps its value if I resell it, and this seems to be the perfect bike. I can't wait to start riding it, but I dont have my motorcylce license or permit yet, I take motorcycle safety course next weekend, so I have about 9 days to chew my nails away in anticipation.

I've been looking for some frame sliders for the bike but can't seem to find them, anyone have suggestions or know where I could find some?

·
Registered
586 Posts
ebay tends to have some sliders for everything and pretty cheap too. as long as they aren't glass or anything they will be fine.

sounds like it's a good bike, even tho you might catch some slack for a 600, that model will be good to you... ride smart, ride safe, and have fun!

·
sHooTer
56 Posts
9 days just not to get caught!!!! lol be safe and tell them ol' texas women i said hi, and i miss em!!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Congrats on the first bike stope. Sounds like you got a good deal on a good first bike. Take her slow and have fun!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
congrat's on the bike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just took her for a ride, she's damn fast. Alot faster than the 125's at the MSC :) . I was in 6th gear going 65 at about 4 or 5k rpms, how fast do you think this bike will top out at? I see now why in movies of people driving sports cars and they make the side of the screan look blurry. Still havnt been able to find sliders, gunna ask some local stores if they know where I can get some.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Congratulations and be safe. These machines are more powerful than those 250s. I had less than 250 miles when I got my SS (which was last month, and yes almost anniversery time!) If I had absolutely no experience and then threw a leg over this 600, it probably be the last time I'd be seen on two wheels. FZRs are no different.

Of course, read the stickies on the New Rider Section. They certainly helped me make my decision, and I definately made the right one IMHO.

Good choice on the riding program. Is that MSF? Get some quality gear too. It's your ass out there, so don't skimp out on cheap crap you'll find in stores. Check the other Gear Forum and get the best you can afford. Abrasions don't wipe off as easily as sweat. Plus chicks dig guys in gear.

For the frame sliders, and excuse the plug-in, but check with one of the sponsors in the banner ad section or kneedraggers.com or even motorcycle-superstore.com. There's a new puck system, Vortex I think makes it so if you do drop it, you can just replace the removable puck. No experience with that, but the people I've talked to say that they like them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kneedraggers.com was really good to me. I had no idea what size jacket to get so the guy just asked how tall I was and shiped it and it fit like a glove. Plus the prices are nice also.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From another forum:
"On the track, I have had my FZR up to redline in 6th, that was about 146 on radar, 159 indicated."

Sure its fast. Its a 100HP motorcycle.

But hey, dont go testing that top speed until you have some time under your belt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went 120 on the freeway on the way home today. I know its not that safe for me because its my second day riding. I didnt want to push it any more than that, to slow down i just untucked and let the air hit my body. I was kinda afraid to use the brakes too much going that fast. I need to learn/practice how hard I can break at certain speeds w/o skidding, the only problem with that is I can't think of a way to know the limit w/o passing it. Gunna go to a parking lot right now and practice swerves and braking so if a bad situation arises I've already gone through the motion before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts