Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I registered here about 5 years ago and was looking to get a bike at the time. Got behind on bills and had to put it on the backburner. Recently I sold one of my cars and finally purchased my first sportbike (this is only the second bike I've ever owned). Its a 2001 ZX6R, green with black and white graphics. I'll upload a pic soon.

I'm really loving this thing! Definitely the quickest bike I've ever ridden. I rode it to work for the first time today and had a blast. There are about 7 other co-workers who have bikes. All of them cruisers. When I pulled up one of the guys who rides an old 1980-something Yamaha cruiser asked me if I want to "run 'em for a case of beer". I told him that I really don't think his old yamaha would stand a chance. But the funny part is that all of the other cruiser riders there were laughing at me and talking smack saying that he would blow the plastic off of my bike. lol I highly doubt it so I told him we'll race them next Friday.

I do have a quick question, if anyone can help? It came with an aftermarket exhaust (yoshimura or something).. Is there any easy way to tell if its already been rejetted?

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If that is a V-max, you just bought the man some beer.
The V-max was king of the stop light racers until the 'busa was created. It is still a top five drag bike. Your ninja 6 has almost 100 HP. The V-max has 145+ IIRC the Ninja put out between 40 and 45 ft. Lbs. of torque. I think the V-max is around 90.
You are not going to win a drag race. I doubt that he does corners. I know the V-max doesn't. You been sucker punched.
Yamaha V-Max - Classic Yamaha Motorcycles - Motorcycle Classics
Almost 30 years later there are maybe a handful of new motorcycles that can hang with a V-max stoplight to stoplight. If the dude has been riding it for years he has probably blown away scores of Ninja's. That's how you learn.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
unless you are a terrible rider, enjoy your free beer.

as for 2old2race, read some of his other posts, enough said.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If the guy has a vmax, unless he's a terrible rider you'll probably owe him some beer. Asking the previous owner is probably the easiest way

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Stock 85-08 V-Max is 110hp/76ft/lb at the rear tire. (None of this at the crank shit.) It weighs about 620+lb, though.

So, yea, hope it's not a V-Max. (EASY way to tell is the scoops on the side of the bike.)

You'd crush him if you were running the twisties as the Gen 1 V-max's frame is a joke. The first mod they do is put supports/etc on that thing, but in a straight line, watch the fuck out. It weighs more, but the weight isn't enough to offset the difference in numbers.

Tell the 80s V-max rider to man up and get a 2009+ Max. :p At least try and hurt his feelings a bit. The 85 - 08 was a mean bike in the day and will still surprise any sport bike rider ignorant of it's straight line capabilities.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Lots japanese of cruisers can mess you up in a drag from a stop. Not just a vmax (though its one of the few from the 80s). Perfect launch a sport bike can keep up off the line and then leave, but a cruiser is sooo much easier to launch and has shorter gears made to make the most of 0-100 ish. My vtx is capable of better 0-60 times than my zx6r, especially with the darkside tire, and you could teach a blind monkey to do it where as the zx6 requires skill, reflexes, and other stuff I don't yet have and probably wont for a long time unless I decide to destroy a clutch one day practicing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
there is more to a race than going from a stoplight to a stoplight (lame)

Most shit talkers just talk shit. If his bike is old who knows if it is a piece of shit or well kept. Tell him you will race him on a 1 mile run and make sure the run has some curves in it. those 80's cruisers are famous for their super shitty suspension.

do not make a b***** deal out of it than what it is. it is an older bike racing a really old bike. in the end who cares who wins just be careful and do not wreck and be glad you did not buy a shit handling overweight pig cruiser. motorcycles are only fun if they can go around a corner.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Hi guys. I registered here about 5 years ago and was looking to get a bike at the time. Got behind on bills and had to put it on the backburner. Recently I sold one of my cars and finally purchased my first sportbike (this is only the second bike I've ever owned). Its a 2001 ZX6R, green with black and white graphics. I'll upload a pic soon.

I'm really loving this thing! Definitely the quickest bike I've ever ridden. I rode it to work for the first time today and had a blast. There are about 7 other co-workers who have bikes. All of them cruisers. When I pulled up one of the guys who rides an old 1980-something Yamaha cruiser asked me if I want to "run 'em for a case of beer". I told him that I really don't think his old yamaha would stand a chance. But the funny part is that all of the other cruiser riders there were laughing at me and talking smack saying that he would blow the plastic off of my bike. lol I highly doubt it so I told him we'll race them next Friday.

I do have a quick question, if anyone can help? It came with an aftermarket exhaust (yoshimura or something).. Is there any easy way to tell if its already been rejetted?

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum!
Nuff said....

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
lmao, a modified bike vs a stock bike. lame

to the op, if you want to race him and are worried then have a real race against him. none of that lame ass no skill straight line hero racing. do a mile with a couple of curves thrown in.

cruisers are lame as hell for the most part, handle like shit, heavy and the vast majority are slow as hell.

you can let internet racers aka video racers aka magazine racers do the race for you or you can go out and race him and find out yourself.

Watching some videos posted that have nothing to do with what you asked or going out and doing it. It is up to you, personally why let shit talkers mess with your mind? People that talk shit or tell you that you can not do something try to hold you back in life. Just do what you want and laugh at them. If you win or lose at least you did it and had fun.

A race is not going 0-30 or going stoplight to stoplight but do what you want.

If you do not think you are a good enough rider then do not do it and do not risk crashing. Go take a few classes and practice in the corners then race the guy. Shit talk back to him in the meantime and put it back on him. tell the guy you will meet him at a track day and that you will pay for his track day at the road course if he runs faster times. He will shit himself and back out because he knows his grandpa bike can not go around a corner and that everyone there will be laughing at him trying to go around the track.

Track Days & Car Clubs - Road Atlanta

·
Registered
743 Posts
There is a reason most races on the street are drag races and not through the curves. You're a lot less likely to get a ticket or die in a short drag where you back off as soon as there is an obvious winner. Any other kind of race is just too dangerous for you and your license.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
There is a reason most races on the street are drag races and not through the curves. You're a lot less likely to get a ticket or die in a short drag where you back off as soon as there is an obvious winner. Any other kind of race is just too dangerous for you and your license.
no it is because most people can not drive/ride worth a shit.

you are WAY more likely to get a ticket "drag racing" in traffic on a street.

Like I said tell the guy to meet him at the track and see what he says. When he makes excuses, shit talk back to him and laugh and say "oh I understand you are afraid" or "I would race you on the street but I am afraid your old bike will just fall apart" and laugh again then walk away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(EASY way to tell is the scoops on the side of the bike.)
Oh crap. lol I didn't really pay much attention to his bike at first because all of those older cruisers look the same to me but after looking at the picture in that article I'm almost positive that's what it is. I specifically remember seeing those big goofy horns under his gas tank. I had no idea those old bikes made that much power.

I rode a Yamaha Verago before and it was slow as hell so I figured his was about the same. Also, I just thought the cruiser riders here were a bunch of old clueless ******** who assumed his bike was faster than mine because its so loud. The guy isn't here today but I will take a closer look at his bike when he gets back on Monday. Either way, I'm still gonna race him just for fun. If I lose, its only a case of beer. The reason I told him next Friday is so that I could have a little more time to get used to my new-to-me bike.

Thanks for the info and replies!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most shit talkers just talk shit. If his bike is old who knows if it is a piece of shit or well kept. Tell him you will race him on a 1 mile run and make sure the run has some curves in it. those 80's cruisers are famous for their super shitty suspension.

do not make a b***** deal out of it than what it is. it is an older bike racing a really old bike. in the end who cares who wins just be careful and do not wreck and be glad you did not buy a shit handling overweight pig cruiser. motorcycles are only fun if they can go around a corner.
Honestly, the guy who wanted to race me was actually pretty cool. He wasn't a smart ass or anything. Even said that he liked my bike. Its all the other riders here who were talking smack and telling me that "I don't want none of that". Either way, its no big deal to me. If I lose, I lose. Its just for fun.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just practice launches so you don't accidentally wheelie and wreck your bike with everyone watching. Rev the bitch up to 8 or 9k rpm and feed the clutch out slowly until you get used to the friction zone. And wear all your gear!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts