Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I have a different problem thats driving me nuts, the Z6's have a higher crown than my D252's so the bike wants to drop into corners easy, and I am impressed. But I'm having a problem with alignment of front and rear wheels if it that even exists.
The bike is a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 and was involved in a low speed lowside on the left two-three months ago, the front tire seems like its pointing to the right when your looking at the bike from the front and the bars and triple are pointed straight. The bike will travel straight when riding but as soon as you take weight/hands off of the bars its starts to lean/turn left, so bad that I can actually make a left turn! It did this before with the older tires but now with the new ones it makes it alot worse. I tried to loosen the axle and pinch bolts and roll the front tire up to a wall mashed the brake and jounced the suspension before tightening it up, even tried that without holding brake, I even tried loosing the lower and upper triples to adjust the forks, but without a change. The bike had this happen before when I got hit by a cager and lowsided last year, and the dealer had said they would straighten out the bike with an old BMX trick, because I thougth the forks where bent, but they did make it track straight again but I don't feel like taking it to pay for this to be done if I can do it myself. Sorry for the long post, but this is kinda frustrating. If anyone knows what this "BMX" trick is please enlighten me and maybe it could help someone else on this forum, thanks.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Cograts on the new tires,I love mine.

Can't help you on the other though.I would take it to a body shop that does a lot of bike work and have them look at it.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
If you want to see how bad it really is, you can take a straight piece of wood (two is better) and line them up with the back wheel (preferably a bit off the ground, so it can touch two places on the tire). Then see where they end up next to the front tire. A string can work as well, but it's harder to get it straight. Hold the bars straight, and if the front wheel isn't straight, you've got a problem.

The only trick I know of is to hold the wheel between your legs and then twist the handlebars, but with the big ass motorcycle suspension that doesn't really do anything except tell you if there's play somewhere. But then I never was a BMXer..

You definately have something bent. The trick is going to be finding it. Might be the handlebars. Might be the forks. Might be the triples. Might be the frame. Only a good eye and/or knowledge of geometry will tell you what.

Bending it back may or may not work. For cast parts, get new ones (or good used ones). Cast things get much weaker if you bend them back. For things like fork tubes, either have someone who knows how to bend them do it, or get new ones.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
That's either your left fork leg, the triples, the swingarm, or your frame.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nothing wrong w/the Z6's I've ran them on my gsxr750 and 600rr and liked them and they last forever

1 - 6 of 6 Posts