Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm practically in the final step of buying a first bike. Let's see, it's a 1991 CBR f2. 48k miles. Clean title. It's missing the lower two side fairings but that's okay. I'll probably buy new ones. There are scratches but I'm planning on doing a paintjob on it by myself. good battery, good clutch (said he popped a wheelie yesterday, running strong), new tires, brakes are good.. everything is pretty much in good running condition. It's running! He said you need the choke on when you first start the bike cold. then you turn it off. (I'm guessing that's normal for a bike this old anyway) He said it can use a tune up like oil change, new plugs, and all the other tune-up stuff. I think if I go get a manual from a shop, i can do those simple things by myself. Um, what else....? He said carb cleaning would be good for the bike but it's not required anyway. It's running. but i'll probably eventually get a jet kit or somehting.. or learn to do it myself. Getting the bike for $1000 cash.

So everything sounds good? Is there anything I should check or try out when I'm riding it? Um, any thing raises a RED flag? Is 48k miles too much?

This thread is just a last minute check on things. Also, i'll be giving him the $1000 in cash. like BILLS. Getting the title and Bill of sale at the same time. Should i also make a contract or video tape it or something. After all, the BILLS don't have any record or receipt. Thanks! And hopefully i'll meet some of you soon and start riding.

Oh yeah, how do you check if the frame or the forks are bent or osmething like that? thanks... or like if the engine is running good.

All help is appreciated. Thanks
-David

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I'd get the bill of sale notorized just to make everything perfectly legal.

Have you taken the bike to a shop to get checked out? If not i would. You never know what underlying problems may exist.

The first thing I always check on old bikes is the throttle. Twist it wide open and let go. If it snaps back quick, you're good to go. Otherwise it will need adjusted.

Congrats on the new bike. Ride safe and lots of practice.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ thanks. not congrats just yet though. :) Im pulling out my hair on how im going to transport this bike. I cant ride it cause i haven't legally registered my MSF course with the dmv yet and also i dont even have a helmet yet. I'm going down there on wednesday. Plus it's 1hour 30minutes on a road i haven't been on. :(

·
20,262 Posts
Find a friend who can ride it/transport it for you.

Don't want you first outing to be a bad one.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ seriously. i do NOT want to die or drop the bike the day i get it. i found a bike CLOSER though.. hopefully it's everything i want it to be. :) I really wish i can pick it up soon though.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Do you care if its been raced? If you do, try to get someone who knows bikes to have a look. Unless of course, you know enough to tell on your own. :beer

·
Registered
486 Posts
with it being an F2 (F2's are big with new stunt riders)and the guy saying he did a wheelie on it yesterday you might want to check the sprocket on it(this shouldn't keep you from buying it IMO) but if it has a b***** sprocket on the back you might want to get a stock one back on it, being new to riding you dont want something that is going to come straight up on you the first time you slip the clutch out to fast.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^ got ya. Thanks

Okay im in a dilemma actually. I found another bike for the same price almost but newer. Well it's a 1992 Katana with 22k miles. He said you can ride it and it's in good condition but if he were to keep the bike, (it's his brothers) he would get new fairings, valve adjustment if i have the money, and like a seat cover and mirror. Other than that it's pretty good. It has been down a couple times he said. That's why i would need new fairings. THe picture shows that on the left side, 1/2 of the fairing is missing. Like ripped off or something. But from his words, he says no frame damage or any fork damage and the title should be clean.

So actually the bikes are identical. The f2 is also missing fairings (lower) but im not sure if they're from a drop or if he just removed them. Either way i would have to buy new fairings for either bike. Um, the f2 also has 48k miles though. Needs a tune up. The katana is $1100, maybe at $1050. The f2 is at $1000. Oh yeah, katana also comes with a helmet which i'm going to buy new anyway, but it's a good thing cause he's closer and i can ride it back in case i can't find a damn pickup.

If it's been dropped, should i be worried? I mean it's really an old bike and I'm probably going to drop it too. I read that clarity.net and it's really useful but it doesn't have any pics of the frame or forks. How do i check if they're straight? Thanks

quick reply would be great. I'm going to work and then hopefully going to go there tonight.

EDIT: updated with pics of bikes. tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
they both looked trashed to me. I would wait and save more cash and by a better bike for next year. IMO

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ oh okay. well, i mean it is my first bike, i dont want to care to drop it once or twice and get used to riding first. plus, doing oil changes and stuff on my own, i'll get familiar with the bike's mechanical stuff. Prbably ride this for about 2 years and then buy a better bike.

·
20,262 Posts
The one photo of the tank on the F2...is it dented in? If so a sign that it's been used for stunting.

·
Registered
833 Posts
No offense pardner but those two bikes look like beater rat bikes. They both look like they'll need more work than they are worth. Add up the bills to all the likely crap that might need replacement and repair - fairings, fork seals, rear shock, chain and sprockets, tune up, valve clearance check, carb sync, etc.. and you may wind up spending much much more than just $1000. Trust me, I've repaired my own bikes and it adds up quick. I'd recommend that you look for motorcycles in slightly better condition or convince the the two owners to drop thier prices a few hundred bucks. Personally, I wouldn't spend around 1000 for a 15 y.o. F2 with close to 50K or a beat to hell Katana.

There are just so many better deals out there for that much money. Perhaps you should look for an ex500 - I've seen some killer deals in the $2K range.

P.S. doing valve clearance checks on the old air-cooled GSXR motors that power the Katana and a few other motorcycles in the Suzuki line-up is easy as pie. The valve adjusters are simple nuts rather than fancy-smancy shim under bucket. You could do this job yourself with a manual - Haynes is very good.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree they both look pretty busted up, the amount of money your going to pour in to either of these two bikes is going to be enough to buy a nice ex500, also if you buy an ex500 used for around 2k and you dont bash it up to bad you'll be able to sale it for close to the same price next year(note I said used ex500, this isn't true for a new one)

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah okay input taken into consideration. i guess i gotta go look at it and see exactly what i would need to replace. Right now, i know i need new plugs, oil change and stuff like that. um, new seat/seat cover, lower fairings.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
IMHO buy the Katana, but for $900. Fork seals are like $10 each, a quart of fork oil is like $7. You can replace the fork seals without special tools (you can use the old seals to drive in the new ones). Plastics are cheap, and valve adjustment on the Kan-o-tunas is DEAD EASY! You just need a plier, 8mm wrench and a feeler gauge.

With $500 you can get the Kan-o-tuna running perfectly. The F2 looks like a bike that has been stunted, manteinance is not as easy and parts are more expensive.

At the end, if you spend $1500 for the Katana, it will be WAY better than a $2000 EX500.

Of course, if you have cero shadetree mechanic skills, avoid both bikes, as both will bleed you to dead. If you are good with the tools, get the Katana, it is a very easy bike to work on (valve adjustments on it are even easier than on the EX500 or GS500), and built like a freaking TANK (that explains the weight).

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn i was going to choose the katana but the guy said to me that he's pretty firm on the $1200 price. i only have $1000 and that's borrowing $300 too. :/ So i guess it's the f2 or a GS500e that i found. The gs500e is a 1991 (same as the f2) and in great condition. Never dropped or tipped, only 8,900 miles and looks clean with the front fairing thing so it doesn't look like an old bike. He said $1200 or something but i probalby can bring it down. just hope he didn't sell it. If he did, man, i guess i gotta go with the f2. It's my first bike anyway. Hopefully i wont have to replace too much on the bike.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think you'll be buying another man's problem if you get the F2. shrug. That GS500 sounds like a good deal though.

I'd recommend that you buy a cheap bike that is ready to go - doesn't need any major repairs. That high mileage F2 prolly needs a chain, sprocket, new tires, fork seals, and a rear shock ~ $4 - 500.

Good luck bro.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ yep. well he said it has ne wtires. but everything else.. who knows?

I'm looking into the GS500. Only 8,900 miles and it has never been dropped. Kind of been avoiding it cause it's not as sporty as the katana and the f2 but eh, first bike. Who cares?

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Dont forget time is on YOUR side. New and better deals coming along all the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts