Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not making this up. Same guy also has "Kick Me" stuck on his back.

Vanity plate nets driver more than 200 tickets
By The Associated Press
(7/23/04 - WILMINGTON, DE) — NOTAG is no gag to motorcycle owner Jim Cara.
He thought a vanity license plate reading NOTAG would be pretty funny. But he's not laughing anymore. His new motorcycle license plate arrived in the mail last Saturday, along with more than 200 parking violations.
It seems the computers in Wilmington, Delaware, are sending him the tickets, when an officer writes "No Tag" on the citation. Cara works for the American Motorcycle Association and says he's been a lifelong prankster.
But he worries the clean-up is going to be worse than the joke. State officials suggest that Cara get a new plate. But he says no way, he's going to keep NOTAG.

·
Registered
522 Posts
sounds like a computer problem to me, bastards at the local gov just don't want to fix it. You'd think with all the revenue they're making with tickets they could spend little to fix a programming problem.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
That would be to much of a headach for me to deal with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The problem is, all these cops right "NOTAG" and then the people at the DMV actually enter it in as that. They need an actual option like 000000 for no tag or something like that since he decided to do this. Or they should have "reserved" it for gov't use only. I'm sure they have done that with other questionable tags.

·
Registered
199 Posts
that is funny. I know I would raise hell though down at the DMV. Could you imagine getting arrested for that b/c you had to many tickets that you didnt know about for BS reasons.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
ok, now THAT'S funny.... sad, but funny.... haha!

·
Registered
590 Posts
MaxOwner said:
a computer is only as dumb as its programmer
Actually, this is a PEBKAC issue. I seriously doubt the programmer either forced them to enter a value in that field, or made the decision to force entry into that field.

At any rate, it's not a big deal to fix on a local level, but if he's getting tickets from multiple localities then I can see the headache.

I just did a query on our parking ticket system..... no record of a plate 'NOTAG', but amusingly enough, someone did put 'NONE' on three tickets that actually got entered into our system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts