Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to cross post this from the newbie forum, but it didnt get many looks

Background info on myself

Used to be on here a couple years ago, but school and other things have taken up my time. I guess my registration got deleted since I was gone for so long.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 13, I am 22 now. I have not ridden on the street except for a few times. Big dirt bike rider, raced MX through HS, sold it after I started college and didnt have time to ride. So its been about 3 yrs since I have ridden on a daily basis, but lately I have been missing it. Several of my friends have gotten bikes, and my dad got a new one so I have been missing life on two wheels lately. Came very close to buying a sport bike a couple years ago after I sold the dirt bike, but moved off to college and partying and drinking became my main interest, thats kind of calmed down now that Im getting older, and I find myself going back to motorcycles.

I consider myself to be a very responsible person, I have never had a insurance claim in the six years I have been driving. Handling the power of a bike is not my main concern, although I have no intention of buying a liter bike. I rode my dads kawi concours and it had more power than I need. I am more concerned with not having much street experience, Its a whole diff world from dirt bikes, even racing. At least in racing, while its easy to get hurt, you are with other riders who know what they are doing, at least most of the time. But on the street, people are idiots, I too am guilty of not seeing bikers, but some people have no business operating a vehicle.

So Im trying to figure out what bike I should get. I dont feel the need to have a liter bike, maybe never, but at least not now. At first I was thinking something like a sv650s, or maybe a 600, like f4i, gixxer, r6...... poss even a gixxer750. Im not sure what to get exactly. Its not so much the bike that Im afraid of, though I have a lot of respect for them, but more other people on the street.

I dont want to get something like a 250 or 500 because as soon as I am comfortable on the street, I will be bored with the bike. I have ridden a 250 a few times, and while it was fun, def not something I would buy. I cant really afford to swap bikes after a couple months of learning. So I need to buy something that I wont outgrow after Im used to street riding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You've got kind of the right attitude, but, and here's the but, you're going to do what you want anyway...

Start small is what's usually preached here, even though most people son't listen. They just post trying to justify their reasons for buying a liter bike instead of a smaller machine...

You said it yourself when you mentioned you rode a coucours... I'm not sure what size engine it's got, but if it had too much power for you, then you'll definitely have too much if you get a 750 SS...

I ride a bandit 600s, and have determined that the bike has about as much power as I'll ever need on the street... would it be nice to have 1,000 cc's? Sure, but I personally don't need it.

Get an sv650... they're good bikes, not too expensive torepair when dropped like an F4i would be without frame sliders...

Most importantly, determine what type of riding you plan on doing... commuting to work? twisties? straight lines?
that'll help determine what you should choose.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would get the sv650 and get it used to save some cash. It should be enough of a bike for you for some time before you decide to move up to another bike.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
concours is a carbed 1000cc sport touring bike with plenty of power...and plenty of weight too at around 600 lbs with shaft drive. great for its purpose, but nothing like a new GSX-R 1000 or ZX-10R. if the concours scared you, stay away from that GSX-R 750.

maybe go for an older carbed 600, maybe an F2 or F3. mid-90's ZX-6R. cheap and reliable. if you drop it, who cares.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The power of the concours didnt scare me, it was fun, though I realize it "could" get me into trouble quick, the size and weight of the bike is what I didnt like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically with my experience I "could" ride a gixxer 1k or a r1, but I dont want too. A 600 is 100% fine by me, I only mentioned a 750 b/c that is the absolute biggest I would buy, IF I felt comfortable with it. The reason I didnt like the 1k concours is prob cause I rode it in flip flops on a gravel road, no helmet. Im a big believer in helmets BTW, just took it for a test spin, which is why I was uncomfortable. I admit, the power was prob more than I need, but nowhere near unmanageable, I just didnt like the top heavyness of the bike. Power didnt really bother me at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you def dont want a 250 or a 500 (lets be serious, who does), F2 or F3. No need for anything b*****. an F3 is still as fast as a Ferrari 360, and at $3,000, you wont care when you drop it

·
Registered
839 Posts
If you can find one, get a 01 f4i. my $.02 I think it is one of the best all round sportbikes. looks good and can hold it's own in the twisties no problem

·
Registered
809 Posts
a 600 supersport will have alot more power than that concours.
the sv650 will probably feel about the same power wise.

starting small is a good thing even if you can handle a b***** bike because it will let you focus 100% on lines, maintaining corner speed, and keeping the revs up in the powerband.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If your not sure what to get, get an F4i; it's got the middle ground staked out, sporty but still comfy. The GSX750 is sweet, but I'm sure the extra insurance cost will add up, and I see a LOT of riders resting their wrists on those bike because the speed at which the wind keeps you comfy is a lot higher than most peeps can afford to ride at with law inforcement the way it is.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Those guys are all pussies, go get a busa. Those other bikes are all slow. If the busa is too big, get a GSXR1000

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you'd be fine on any 600cc I4 that's a 2002 or older. I'm sure you'd be able to handle my bike without a problem, but you might want to start with something that has a little less power anyway, just so you don't have to worry about your throttle input quite as much. Go look at a few bikes, sit on them and find out which you like the best. Then buy whatever you like the most. With the experience you have I don't think anyone is going to orry about you flipping the bike over. Just find a nice 600 and have fun. Eventually you'll want a liter bike, trust me on that one. I used to say that I'd never want a liter bike, too much power for the stret, etc. Now I want to get one in the next year or so. Not so much for the top-end, but mostly to make up for the lack of low-midrange torque on the smaller I4's.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll pick a good bike. Welcome back to riding, I know you're going to have alot of fun!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi. I'm new here too and in the same type of predicament.

One problem I found is that you can't just try out bikes, especially older ones to figure out which one is more comfortable, suits you best, etc. Sure, you can go drool over the new ones, but they aren't the same as 2002 or 2003's, are they?

Which leads to another problem of finding an 02' or 03' that hasn't been "dropped in the garage" or gone down "at extremely low speeds." Makes me very curious about the ability of so many people to keep these things from getting so bitched up. Are people just totally screwing around on them? Or are they really that hard to keep from "dropping?"

Doesn't sound like insurance is an issue for you, dpenny, other than your age and where you live. Start with what you like looks-wise, then pick from the one that best fits/suits you and your needs. Hope you have better luck than I am.

:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
A lot of the bikes were "droped in the garage" or "at extremely low speeds" are ones with minimal damage. Sometimes they were wrecked and the owners just fixed a majority of the damage, sometimes they were really droped in the garage. Dont worry if the bike has a little rash on a fairing, or a crunched turn signal. You're going to drop the bike anyways, so pick one out with a little cosmetic damage to start with. as to your question, yes. Most bikes out there have been droped at one time or another. I know 3 guys who went out and bought new R6s at the beginning of this summer as their first bike because they wanted to have a new bike. All 3 have been droped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First bike.

I definately think you should consider a Goldwing or a Rune as your first bike. That way when you crash, you sure will be comfy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
A lot of the bikes were "droped in the garage" or "at extremely low speeds" are ones with minimal damage. Sometimes they were wrecked and the owners just fixed a majority of the damage, sometimes they were really droped in the garage. Dont worry if the bike has a little rash on a fairing, or a crunched turn signal. You're going to drop the bike anyways, so pick one out with a little cosmetic damage to start with. as to your question, yes. Most bikes out there have been droped at one time or another. I know 3 guys who went out and bought new R6s at the beginning of this summer as their first bike because they wanted to have a new bike. All 3 have been droped.
I will have to remember your post, H20, when I'm crying because I actually did drop my new to me bike, and I don't have have a problem with getting one with some rash on it, since I can in no way afford the insurance on a new one.

I just can't believe it happens that easily. Guess I will find out when I get one. I started out on a Ninja 500, only dropped once, pulling out in 2nd gear, but I mostly laid it down and picked it up again before too many cars saw me. No damage. I am now ready for a 600, and have ridden only one - I think it was a 2000 Honda. Didn't have any problems with that. I'm pretty tall, so size doen't matter, :) although I don't want anything b***** than that. I was happy with the 500, except that it looked like a 500.

Thanks for the dropping lesson. I will remember your words as I continue my search.

·
Registered
243 Posts
F2 or F3 . . . . A lot of guys dont want to get an older bike because they still want some attention. If you want a bike that's older, pretty quick, and people will still come over to see at bike night, see if you and find an old Smokin Joe F3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Found out last night that one of my buddies bought and 04 f4i. So Im gonna take that for a spin in a few days and see what I think, since I havent ridden a 600ss before. That should help me gauge whether or not I should buy a bike of that caliber or aim a little lower.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts