Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in buying a rc51

i have rode my sv650s for the last year and a half, and my brothers r6 for the last year. i dont really like the feel of the inline 4's and there is something about the shape of the rc51 that does it for me.

i'm just a student right now, but i just got a wicked job, 15/hr. I have already checked out insurance and figured out i will be able to afford it too.

the only questions i have are

what year is the best to buy?
i hear the 2000-2001 years arent that good compaired to the 2002 and up?
whats the comfort like?
hows the maintenance?
is the technology outdated as many say it is?
what do you feel are the best and worst features about the rc?

thanks for your time

·
Registered
133 Posts
1. 2002 and up are the newer model years.

2. 2000 -01 are a few pounds heaver than than 02+ yrs with a few less hp.

3. Not the best bike to tour on, but I love mine. The stock seat doesn't bother me much.

4. Maintenance, just change oil and tires and you should not have many problems.

5. Technology - some of the things maybe outdated like not having radial brakes or being as light as newer bikes.

6. Best features - its different from your everyday gsxr, yamaha, cbr. V-twin rumble, Torque, handles well for its weight. Worst - Gas mileage, I only get high/mid 20 mpg. Some say it runs too hot (220 most of the time).

Do I like mine? No, I love it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Find yourself a nice RC..... Buy it. If it doesn't have pipes, powercomander and a 15 tooth front sprocket, buy those too.

If your not happy with that package, you can come over here and slap me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Riding in-line fours for the last decade before switching to my RC51 I find there is nothing like that V Twin rumble. I giggle like a lil bitch every time I rev that thing up around my buddies' in-lines and they put their heads down in shame.

Bro, you will love the torque and you will never get tired of that sound! I dont find mine to be uncomfortable at all. I rode it from Michigan to Ohio (345 miles) with 2 stops for gas and my only complaint was a sweaty crotch and a numb hand.

I find this bike to be a lil hotter than my others. Especially if you do alot of town type stop-n-go riding. Well worth the heat though.

Joshua

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have an SV650 and an RC51. needless to say, i have a thing for twins.

my RC is an absolute blast to ride. the ergos are tough, but similar to most other repli-racers on the street. the low-end grunt is a bit more 'city friendly' than an inline 4 that you have to strangle to get at the power.

- what year is the best to buy?

whatever year you can get a good price on, i think.

- i hear the 2000-2001 years arent that good compaired to the 2002 and up?

i think the difference is minimal. sure, people will argue the finer points back/forth but the biggest difference (to me) is going to be a few grand between a 2000 model and a 2003 model. go cheap and use the extra money for pc and sprockets. again, just my opinion.

- whats the comfort like?

similar to most any repli-racer. the seat sucks. but you get use to it. i'm 6' 1" and have 'toured' on mine. (450 mile back to back to back days)

- hows the maintenance?

standard sportbike maintenance.

- is the technology outdated as many say it is?

i'm not sure how outdated they are. if you want the latest/greatest, the RC isn't it. but if you want a tried and true ass-kickin' loud as hell grin-inducing license-jeopardizing beast of a machine, the RC might just be right up your alley. plus, they aren't as run of the mill as your R1s, GSXRs, CBRs, etc.

what do you feel are the best and worst features about the rc?

- best features: they don't attract your typical squid, the sound, the low-rpm launches, the fact that i can spin up my rear tire almost whenever i want (though i rarely do)

- worst features: not knowing if Honda will keep it in their line up, it roasts my legs in heat (radiators in stereo), it can be like a little piggy wrestling it through chicanes

·
Registered
28 Posts
The RC51 was a champion superbike. I have 25,000+ miles on mine and hope to ride it for a long long time. I have modded the whole damn bike almost. I won't trade it for anything, or sell it EVER. It is outdated in technology, weight, power, but it is the bike for me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
VtwinRC51 said:
I won't trade it for anything, or sell it EVER. It is outdated in technology, weight, power, but it is the bike for me.
What he said! :urowned

·
Registered
355 Posts
coooool!!!! :phatyo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts