Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got some money saved up so I want to finally get into riding. I just have a few issues/questions.

Now I'm planning on getting either a ninja250 or cbr250, whichever I find a better deal on but I'm leaning towards the cbr250 as for the immediate future that I see I'll probably barely use the highway if at all(I barely go on the highway in a car) The local msf schools have classes available as early as next week. I'm just worried because they say you should know how to ride a bike, I'm one of those people who never learned. If I gave it some spare time I'm sure I could figure it out by then I can at least balance just sitting on a bike, I just could never figure out pedaling more than 5 feet without kicking the bike over in my occasional bored attempts, but my issue is more how proficient should you be, or is just being able to balance the thing about all they want of you? I'm just worried about wasting my money on the course to get on the bike and not be able to not drop it constantly or be crap at turns and not be able to pass the test.

As to a bike, I saw a dealer has a 2011 cbr250 for $2700, like 5000 miles, good price? It's right in my budget if I then figure about $1000 for gear the $350 for the msf course maybe another few hundred for some things to do to the bike like put frame sliders on, and insurance and such. Just want to make sure I wouldn't be paying too much or if it's too little, it's the ABS version, and maybe there's some reason it's cheap. Most the few year old ninjas I see are barely cheaper than the MSRP, but for some reason I'm not seeing the bunch of them on the used market but maybe the timing is the problem and I'd find more in spring. Trying to search Craiglist for bikes is horrible though, nothing but harley stuff.

Um I have more things I wanted to ask but I can't remember right now I'll remember them once i go to sleep or am at work or something I'm sure.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
$2700 is a good price for the cbr250. Especially for the ABS.

You'll LOVE the gas mileage. 72mpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would definitely learn to ride a bike before taking the class. It's a very unnatural thing to ride a 2-wheel vehicle at first. It's not like anything else you do in life. Get a dirt cheap bike off craigslist or your closet or what have you, and figure it out.

Remember to look ahead, not down. That's the biggest part. And just keep pedaling!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
when i bought my motorcycle i had not ridden a bike-cycle in over a decade.

and even before that, i was never very good.

still, see if you can go over to a friends and borrow a bike.

just get till you can balance turn and stuff.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
OK, let's stop here. Brother, you have no business being on a motorcycle if you can't ride a bicycle. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Occasionally I see someone in an MSF class who does not know how to ride a bicycle. They never pass. Ever.

That doesn't mean you can't eventually learn to ride a motorcycle. It's just going to take you a little longer. Here is what I recommend. Buy a used bicycle off CL. Learn to ride it. Ride it every day for six months. All those little kids you see riding bicycles know a thousand little things about balance and control of a two-wheeled vehicle. You need to learn them. There is no other way to do it than to ride a bicycle. A lot.

I would get a scooter next. Yeah, a scooter. Ride it around for a few months. It's an easy way to learn how to control a b*****, heavier two-wheeled vehicle. Hell, it's fun too.

After a year of bicycle / scooter experience, you'll be ready for a motorcycle. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm just trying to save you aggravation and money in the long run.

·
Registered
615 Posts
+ 1000 on the bicycle to scooter to motorcycle advise.

Also, there are 2 different MSF courses. One is the experienced, ie you've been riding at least with a permit for at least 6 months. The other is the beginner class, ie you don't ride, yet. The beginner course here offers 250cc cruisers to use for the course. You don't need to own a bike for that one, just gear.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, let's stop here. Brother, you have no business being on a motorcycle if you can't ride a bicycle. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Occasionally I see someone in an MSF class who does not know how to ride a bicycle. They never pass. Ever.

That doesn't mean you can't eventually learn to ride a motorcycle. It's just going to take you a little longer. Here is what I recommend. Buy a used bicycle off CL. Learn to ride it. Ride it every day for six months. All those little kids you see riding bicycles know a thousand little things about balance and control of a two-wheeled vehicle. You need to learn them. There is no other way to do it than to ride a bicycle. A lot.

I would get a scooter next. Yeah, a scooter. Ride it around for a few months. It's an easy way to learn how to control a b*****, heavier two-wheeled vehicle. Hell, it's fun too.

After a year of bicycle / scooter experience, you'll be ready for a motorcycle. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm just trying to save you aggravation and money in the long run.
+1
a year is nothing preparing to ride, especially if it's going to save you quite a bit of pain. that year investment is well worth the wait.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I hadn't rode a bike for 2 decades and started on a yzf r6. All I can say is that is not the proper progression of skills. I believe riding a bicycle more often would have helped, and a scooter also would help. I've never rode a 250 but a 600 for someone who has never rode is a hell of a bike. I would compare it to the bicycle as a suppressed .22lr to an unsuppressed, open brake .50 bmg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's what I was afraid but expecting to hear. I always had the plan of learning to ride a bike first then getting into motorcycles I just always procrastinated/didn't have time to learn and just got the idea maybe with only a little skill in it if be fine with the course after a guy I know told me knowing how to drive a manual is more beneficial which I didn't really get but whatever, I'll find a cheap bike and ride it around and try next year. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts