Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Here's my critique: be careful! There's lotsa gravel on the road in that lat picture! Gravel = my biggest fear when riding the street.
+1, don't be an idiot. Bike repair costs allot of money- I know. get some plastics and get to the track. You might not like my critique but there you have it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
get your head down, shoulders square and hips open.

your eyes should be looking through where your mirrors are. your mirrors should be off, you don't need them at the track.

Photo Viewer

middle pic, 1st row and middle pic 4th row.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
I'll chime in here on a bit of a more serious note. I have this friend, see, we'll call him 'Muff_Naughty_Nine'... Now, Muff is pretty quick on the roads, though there are lots faster... Muff is also a pretty accomplished track rider, so I trust what he has to say.

Though Muff's body position is less than picture perfect on the track, it's downright Doohan on the roads.

Muff understands that the most important aspects of road riding are:
1 - staying as loose as absolutely possible on the bike to allow it to move around when it hits gravel, tar snakes... etc. Muff puts most of his weight into his lower body and steers with his feet. His upper body remains crossed up. Hanging the upper body off requires more stiffness than Muff likes to exhibit on the roads.

2 - Ground clearence isn't an issue on the road. At least it shouldn't be unless you're on the Isle of Man. So, the extra couple of degrees of lean angle that you buy back by hanging off is irrelivant. Riding more crossed up, with your body line atop the center line of the bike, allows you to make more rapid inputs and direction changes - Muff draws the anology to a dirtbike.

Muff sites that you never know what's ahead on the roads, so you can't set up corners like you can on a track - committing to a line tajectory at turn in. You have to take it all as it comes, and that means staying loose on the bike and being prepared to change lines.

Mind, this is all what my friend Muff says. I personally don't condine riding fast on the roads.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good points Todd. Whoever your friend is has probably ridden for awhile. My street riding style is very different from track riding style. I can't get into same riding position on the street on the track because I'm not going fast enough and I also can't commit to a line on the street like I can at the track. But with nearly 200,000 crash free miles on roads, I'm probably not pushing it hard enough. haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts