Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Fender Eliminator kits in the past, but I have always opted for the kit that places the plate directly under the tail light. For this kit that I am considering the Eliminator kit places the Plate way under the tail. It is from Competition Werkes. The Ltd edition. I am sure that many here have this style plate holder. I am wondering if you have been pulled over for having your plate so far under your tail. I have a feeling that I will have issues, but I really just Love the look.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used to have my plate mounted where the Competition Werkes kit gets mounted and never had any problems. It was clearly visible, however local shops wouldn't pass it for state inspection with it at that location.

Not sure about the laws in NH or how lenient the LEO's are there, but I'd imagine you would be fine.

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
my experience has been that as long as you have a light on it, and it doesnt look like you are intentionally putting it so low as to conceal it you will be ok. I have seen a few of the comp werks kits....i didnt think they were that low. Does the kit you are looking at have a light?

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
you should be fine then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had Fender Eliminator kits in the past, but I have always opted for the kit that places the plate directly under the tail light. For this kit that I am considering the Eliminator kit places the Plate way under the tail. It is from Competition Werkes. The Ltd edition. I am sure that many here have this style plate holder. I am wondering if you have been pulled over for having your plate so far under your tail. I have a feeling that I will have issues, but I really just Love the look.

We have sold thousands over the past years.
So far, its rare to hear of someone getting pulled over, unless you have a really anal cop looking to meet quota.

A few of our customers are actually policemen, and they also have FE Kits.
They say, as long as they are visable, and illuminated, they don't have a problem. But, they also said, it's at the officers discretion.

So, you can never be 100% safe. But, 95% should be ok.
Worse case they give you a ticket, you put it back to stock location, take a photo, and they normally toss the ticket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Florida recently tightened up tag laws for cycles.
The tag must be at the rear of the bike (no under-fender setups).
It can not be mounted sideways either.

Enforcement? In general LEO's limits their efforts to idiot (squids) riders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have my plate mounted at the end of the swingarm, perpendicular, with no light, and I haven't had any problems.
The Florida law went into effect Oct 1, 2008, and includes a mandatory $1,000 fine for a tag violation like yours.
I know 2 people that have been cited.

I sincerely hope you have no problems but am not very optimistic.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I added a fender eliminator and I had the same questions on this and finally had the opportunity to ask an officer. He basically said it's the officer's interpretation of the law. The law in Texas is vague and nothing more than visiblity from the rear is stated. I guess depending on why he stoped you and your attitude towards him determins if he will cite you on your plate. I still have not mounted a light and do ride at night returning home from work, but definatly do the speed limit, turn signals and whole bit not to draw attention to myself and have yet (knock on wood) been pulled over. I know come time for an inspection, I will have to fabricate and mount one. For now, I love the look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts