Sport Bikes banner

Fender eliminator issues

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  YJDER 
#1 ·
I was pulled over today for absolutely nothing. Merging onto freeway, people flying past me, I pull into the 2nd to left lane on a 10 lane freeway using my signal and pausing before I changed each lane. I look into rearview and see fuzz, lights on. Take the exit and pull into side street. First the guy asks for license and insurance, got that.

He then goes over my bike and asks me if my fender eliminator is legal. I said yes it complies with DOT and is the plate is visible. I went out of my way to demonstrate that the lights came on to illuminate and showed him the turn signals. I was very pleasant and cooperative because I hadnt done anything wrong (or so I thought). He asks me about inspection, got that.

So then he goes back to his car. He stays in there a while and I know he's writing a ticket, but for what??? Gets out and gives me a ticket for 70 in a 60 and non-visible license plate. DAMMIT!!! 70??? Last time I got a ticket, I was speeding...this time, no way in hell... I was merging and people in cars were flying past I remember looking at my speedo it was under 65. I was like come on I was not speeding and my plate is legal, look you can see the damn thing. He tells me "we're cracking down on motorcycles, you ppl run from us and speed and think you can do whatever you want."

So they're taking it out on the people who pull over? I'm so pissed, ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Next time, I'm running...

nah, I've had enough jail to last me a lifetime it's not worth it. It sucks riding like you have a target on your back though. Houston PD makes me want to vomit.

So anyways, anyone had any problems with police and fender eliminators and know which ones are legal and which ones arent? I thought mine was perfectly legal, I've never gotten any police attention with it before and it's plainly visible and well-lit. It's behind the battery box. I think he was just looking for stuff to pull me over for. I know houston is hurting for public funds right now. Oh well, back to the attorney's office.

See less See more
#2 ·
His statements are admissible in court... sounds like you might win this one.

#3 ·
If he did say "We're cracking down on Motorcycles because you guys run, blah blah blah" then you can use that in court to point out that he was singling you out..
I've been picked out of a busy highway also.. cop weaved through 6 lanes of highway to get me, and I was a constant 3 seconds behind the car in front, same speed as traffic.. the cop used "officers discretion" in court to explain why he chose me.. and I got stuck with it.

#4 ·
I hope the attorney can use that. I'm debating what I can do to prove that the plate location is legal, I cant find anything online dealing with this issue and I doubt my lawyer has any experience with this. Hmm, have to keep digging and write down all the events while it's fresh in my mind.

#5 ·
GreenZED said:
I hope the attorney can use that. I'm debating what I can do to prove that the plate location is legal, I cant find anything online dealing with this issue and I doubt my lawyer has any experience with this. Hmm, have to keep digging and write down all the events while it's fresh in my mind.
Just look up the laws for your state pertaining to License Plates.. They are almost ALWAYS very basic.. usually they have to be easily viewable, not obstructed in any way (plastic covers, tire in the way, ect..) and lit.. That is all.. If you can prove that your plate meets these conditions, you win.. take a pic of your bike's plates to prove the placement does NOT interfere with its visibility. And take a copy of the law with you..

#6 ·
ok I read the texas guide to motorcycling it states:

"The license plate must be attached to the rear of the vehicle"

what constitutes the rear of the vehicle? looks like by the letter of the law I may be screwed since it says nothing about visibility, only "rear of the vehicle"...meaning right under the tail?

#7 ·
GreenZED said:
ok I read the texas guide to motorcycling it states:

"The license plate must be attached to the rear of the vehicle"

what constitutes the rear of the vehicle? looks like by the letter of the law I may be screwed since it says nothing about visibility, only "rear of the vehicle"...meaning right under the tail?
Is that the Official law, or just someones Paraphrasing of the law. Make sure it is the actual Statute, with a date and everything..

If that is the actual law, then use that to say that you are meeting the law, since it just says "the rear of the vehicle". Your plate is on the tail, the rearmost part of your bike. I dont think that is the actual law, because it would be nearly unenforceable as it is written.

#8 ·
Just do what I do now. Carry a cheap, low quality yet small camcorder. When the officer approaches inform him that for insuring accurate recall of events, the camcorder is rolling. Be polite, but make sure he knows that you have it on. I can assure you that he will be angry, but, he will most likely behave. And if he doesnt, you have it on tape.

#9 ·
Sounds like profiling to me, but pretty much every undertail is illegal. If your bike had ANY lights or reflectors that got removed or changed, that's a no-no. In CA a red reflector over the plate is required. There was a crackdown last weekend up in the hills and any bike with an undertail was pulled over. It's easy to argue whether or not the plate is visible, but if it doesn't have a light and a reflector you lose. In CA the plate must also be visible at 45 degree angles which pretty much means it must be at the rear of the bike and vertical. The other common citation is non-DOT rear blinkers or front flush-mounts.

#10 ·
RayOSV said:
Sounds like profiling to me, but pretty much every undertail is illegal. If your bike had ANY lights or reflectors that got removed or changed, that's a no-no. In CA a red reflector over the plate is required. There was a crackdown last weekend up in the hills and any bike with an undertail was pulled over. It's easy to argue whether or not the plate is visible, but if it doesn't have a light and a reflector you lose. In CA the plate must also be visible at 45 degree angles which pretty much means it must be at the rear of the bike and vertical. The other common citation is non-DOT rear blinkers or front flush-mounts.
Agreed......
It's pretty much the same thing here in Quebec, Canada. Must have a reflector over the plate. Crazy but must have it, even if the reflector is positioned just under the brake light. They also require that you have reflectors on each side, both front and rear.

With a FE with original blinkers and plate light set up you probably will get by on visibility, it becomes more of a judgement call for the cop. But if you also changed for small white blinkers, then you may have another strike against you. I was just following a bike with these small blinkers and you could barely see it when he did put it on to change lanes.

I have kept the original fender, just in case I need to go back....

YJDER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.