Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently I have realized that my wife no longer has the passion for riding anymore. Kinda saddens me as that is one less thing we have in common or share as a passion. While I am ok with this, i do get jealous of other riders who date a chick that also rides and share that passion. I know I know I'm naive and need to let it go, I just didn't think it would bug me like it has.

I honestly see females attractive enough as it is. A female who rides a motorcycle especially a sportbike is attractive and in some ways intimidating (in a good way).

Does anyone currently or has been in a relationship with someone who rides? Has it been more enjoyable? Stressful? Do you just not care? Do you prefer riding with one gender more than the other? Are you one of those types that think women shouldn't ride?

Disclaimer: I am in no way of contemplating cheating or anything of the sort.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
We both ride and always have since before we met.

And based on our relationship and my hobby with horses and how difficult it is for me to do horses and date I could see it being really difficult to have someone who rides but the other who doesn't. But we only see each other on the weekends- and I feel its unfair to drag him to the barn where I ride and he plays on the phone. So same would apply with bikes... Fortunately we both enjoy riding and track days and fooling around wrenching and what not.

If you are closer and see each other regularly than the "me" time is required... And no big deal as long as you spend enough time with her.

People for some reason now a-days are obsessed with constantly needing to be with each other and its insane. Fuck that shit I need time alone to do what I want with my friends or alone. But I also am conscious that Friday through Sunday is my only "we" time so I try to limit my weekend solo activities to every few months... Not much of a relationship if I want to spend our only time alone doing my own thing! lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was just still dating, than my situation wouldn't bother me at all. But being married, all the ''we'' time has become ''me'' time when ''we'' aren't doing anything interesting enough and someone else is.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Might be time to find another "we" activity lol

Rock climbing? Ballroom dancing? Sucks when things change.. I know he doesn't like riding out with other people on the street and I still do... So I have to make uber for both but we still find time to do we bike things. Just have to find that middle ground.

Does she ride on the back at all? I have found I am not nearly as opposed to it because its fun way to spend time going to dinner or to someone's house (not for long rides that blows) and be together... Well I mostly fuck with him and wave to little kids but you know what I mean lol.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Michelle sold her bike a while back and got out of riding too. It doesn't really bother me. She was actually pretty fast when we were just out riding, its just that she didn't have quite the control over the machine for low-speed stuff, and had a couple incidents where the bike kissed pavement. Those things kind of suck your confidence, not to mention we got called to the hospital 3 times in a year over her dad biting it on his Harley (last time broke a bunch of ribs).

Still, as said above, its good that you both have things you enjoy on your own. Michelle does yoga and crafty stuff like painting. I ride bikes and shoot. Not that we don't enjoy being together, but having your own time is nice too.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Never dated a female that rides her own bike...

And honestly, I'd need more than a six pack of beers to even consider doing any of the female riders I've come across...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Does anyone currently or has been in a relationship with someone who rides? Has it been more enjoyable? Stressful? Do you just not care? Do you prefer riding with one gender more than the other? Are you one of those types that think women shouldn't ride?
I've been with my girlfriend for just under a year now. She had her own bike when we met, had been riding maybe a year if that.

I think it's nice to have this in common. We actually don't ride together that often, but the mere fact that she rides means that I don't get any kind of crap about risky behavior or shit like that. Then again, she's very much like me in having a sort of live-in-the-moment outlook on life anyway.

On the other hand, when we do ride together, it does stress me a bit simply because I'm concerned for her safety. Her personality is such that I worry about her pushing too hard and hurting herself. That particularly comes into play if we go up to the mountains; I want to go carve corners, but I don't want her to feel like she needs to try and keep up with me and then get in over her head. I know rationally that that's her choice to make, but rationality doesn't always rule.

In short, though, I think it's great. We're also both pilots, and I see that in a similar vein. Before we met, I was getting to ready to start building a kitplane. Honestly, I figured that maybe the best I might find in a companion would be someone who tolerated my hobbies, especially airplane construction. Finding someone who actually understands, endorses, and even is totally willing to be involved is almost more than I ever could have hoped for.

Plus we get along awesomely. :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
My wife and I both ride. Her more than me, honestly. We both rode before we met.

it's nice that someone understands one of my obsessions.... but I prefer to ride alone. I constantly worry about things when I ride with other people. But it's even worse with her... I just stress out about her crashing and whatnot. I shouldn't- and I don't when she's off on her own... but I can't help myself.

She's a good rider. But she's kinda timid and doesn't have a lot of confidence in anything that she does OUTSIDE of riding, so I tend to think that has at least SOME effect on her decisions while she rides. Maybe not, I dunno.

Anyways, I worry too much. But if she wanted to stop riding I wouldn't really care. I've basically stopped riding. In the last 3 years I've been injured a LOT off and on, and I've probably only been on a bike 5 times since I moved to NC. So I pretty much don't ride at all any more. Thankfully, my bike is almost in one piece (sold my old one and bought another project while my ankle was healing) so I should be riding by next weekend... but yeah- it's been a while.

Anyways- you have more stuff in common. You just need to think about it. For example, my wife is starting to get into guns- which I never thought would happen. I didn't pressure her or anything.... she just signed up for a CCW class one day. Surprised the hell out of me. And there's 100 other things that we like to do together.

Anyways, don't worry about the riding thing so much. There's other stuff out there.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
I've dated girls that hated bikes (yeah lasted all of 2 weeks)
I've dated girls that were ambivalent
I've dated girls had little interest in them until they met me, then got into it.
I've dated girls that rode bikes before we met
And I've even dated girls that RACE.

The only thing that really matters to me is that they don't hate them. If they hate em, that's an immediate deal breaker. Riding and racing is a HUGE part of my life and it's something that I'm incredibly passionate about. If you hate that then you're not gonna like or understand who I am or what I'm about.

When I met the girl I'm with now she had never been on the back of a bike in her life and once vowed never to try.... two months later and this is us...

Gotta thank my buddy and teammate Chuck for the hilariously cheesy video :lao

I think the fact that she likes bikes makes our relationship stronger. She'd like to get her own at some point, but even if she didn't feel that way it wouldn't be a dealbreaker... It was definitely a ton of fun to be able to take her around the track though. Made an already incredible weekend that much better.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
My wife rides, but isn't deeply into it, so sometimes we ride together, but more often I'm on my own. Which is, I think, a great balance. It's important for both people in a marriage (or relationship) to have their own hobbies and space, to do things separately. If nothing else, if you're never apart, you won't have anything to tell each other about. It's good if you each can take enough interest in each other's interests to understand what they are doing, participate in a conversation about it (with the partner, or with his/her group of friends), and not be bored of the whole subject -- while still letting the person have his/her own hobby and space.

PhilB

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've just started 2-uping with a girl and its been great. It actually allows me to enjoy the bike in ways that aren't stupidly illegal. When I drop her off I kinda miss having someone there. However, while having a gf that rides seems cool to me, I could definitely see it being a little issue for when I want to haul ass in the mountains but have to worry about someone I care about riding over their head trying to keep up. All that to say if I ever meet a girl that rides I hope she's faster than me.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
It's good if you each can take enough interest in each other's interests to understand what they are doing, participate in a conversation about it (with the partner, or with his/her group of friends), and not be bored of the whole subject -- while still letting the person have his/her own hobby and space.

PhilB
Yeah, this is the big thing for me, personally. Even though we VERY rarely ride together, she knows about bikes.

Like the other day I was like "wow, someone makes a set of cam sprockets for my bike that advances the timing 9 degrees. Gives you an extra 10lb-ft of torque from 2000-6500 rpm, and since you can stay a gear higher more often, it gives you a 10-15% boost in fuel economy"

She was like "damn.... you should buy those"

That's sexy, right there. Most women would be like "I don't know what that means"

Lol... you guys are lookin (riding?) in all the wrong places. ;)
Seriously, right? I've met quite a few really attractive women that ride bikes. As long as you stay away from the harley crowd, usually the women are hotter than average women, at least from my experience.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I should start looking in other countries then...

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I should start looking in other countries then...
Well, you live in mexico. I can think of like 158694 other reasons to move to another country that has nothing to do with women. But yeah- there's hotter women in other countries, too.

·
This End Up
1,960 Posts
My girlfriend was riding before I was and is every bit as much a rider & gearhead as me. We've toured together all over the U.S. and Canada. Back in '05 after our first full cross-country together, she continued on to Americade and got the award for 'longest distance ridden' to the event: over 14,000 miles. We've been up the Dempster to Inuvik; chased each other on The Dragon; she's totaled her Tiger on the Translab. The fun continues.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts