Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, one of the guys I ride with went down. He is a very good rider and rides an '04 750. He borrowed a buddy's '05 636 and took it for a spin. Now for a bit of background on the 636.... it was bought this spring, and was down once already about a month ago. Silly mistake on the owner's part, but no big deal. He finally got all the parts in and had it put back together last weekend. Anyway, the 750 owner takes it out for a spin for a few minutes. No big deal, as he has done it before loads of times (works each way, the other guy has borrowed the 750 before as well). Coming up the road on the way to swap bikes back again, a girl coming the opposite way turns left RIGHT in front of him. Never had time to break. His the side of the tail of the car.

Bike looks like it may be totalled, but needs to get to the shop to be inspected first. The rider was wearing helmet, boots, jeans, gloves, leather jacket. He has a bit of minor road rash on one knee. The problem is with his arm though. I guess he landed funny, cause his arm is broken clean. His wrist is mangled though. All tendons/ligaments are torn. He's going in for surgery today for it.

Officer showed up and was a royal ASS about it all. He basically got out and immediately said it was the bike's fault. There were a bunch of witnesses of his comments so that will help (keep reading). He basically said "It's all you bikers always causing this shit." BRUTAL!!! Needless to say, this bias probably ended up in his report as well, so that will need to be addressed. The guys are filing complaints with the Department today, as well as his supervisor directly. They are afraid that his biased report will hurt the guys' case so they are going to try to discredit it right away.

Anyway, all in all, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Rider walked away. Arm needs to be fixed up and will take a while, but it could have been worse. It was completely the fault of the girl in the cage so hopefully the bike can be fixed/replaced without any insurance problems with the owner.

Biased Cops :pisson
Shitty inattentive cage drivers :pisson

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glad he is going to be alright. I get so sick of people turning in front of me that I know one day something similar will probably happen to me. As far as the cop he is a prick and has no business out on the streets with biases that strong. Unfortunately some cops get past the psychological screening and get on the force with bad attitudes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: They have now found out that the girl that hit him was driving without insurance. They are getting lawyers in the morning and going after her.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
decius said:
Update: They have now found out that the girl that hit him was driving without insurance. They are getting lawyers in the morning and going after her.
Fry her ass. Make damn sure the next time she can afford to buy a car, she will take her eyes off her freaking cell phone and LOOK

·
Registered
426 Posts
highkav said:
Glad he is going to be alright. I get so sick of people turning in front of me that I know one day something similar will probably happen to me. As far as the cop he is a prick and has no business out on the streets with biases that strong. Unfortunately some cops get past the psychological screening and get on the force with bad attitudes.

+1 After the 3rd time I've become extreamly pariond of anyone waiting to turn. I watch them like a hawk as I move by covering my breaks. Though I know if someone just jumps out in front of you there is little to nothing that you can do regardless of how fast you are going.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was actually collision that wasn't at an intersection. It was a two-lane road (two lanes each way) with a lane in the middle for left-turns (based on what's on the particular side of the road). There are strip malls, stores, etc, on the road along the side, so there's a lane to wait in to get to turn across. Someone was waiting in that lane to get into a particular parking lot, just as other people are waiting in the lane further back and ahead. This girl (20 years old by the way) just cut across right in front of him.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sucks about your friend going down, and the bike, hope he heals up alright and things work out for him.

·
Registered
346 Posts
He's breathing right?

Thats a good start. Sorry if I sound jaded. Lost 2 people I know in 2 months (one was a good friend).

It's relative. Be safe, have fun.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn that's hardcore, and it's definately a scary thought.

This is something that worries me everytime I see a car ahead of me turning. I always cover my brakes, but as mentioned before, there just isn't anything that you can do if they decide to pull out.

Its horrifying.

·
Registered
323 Posts
glad to hear your buddy is ok minus the injury he recieved i hope that girls gets nailed for that and they make her pay for all of his surgery that stuff is $$$$$.
the bike can be replaced hes alive and she should pay!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
decius said:
Update: They have now found out that the girl that hit him was driving without insurance.
Uh oh, that's not good at all.

They are getting lawyers in the morning and going after her.
Ever heard the phrase "you can't get blood from a turnip"? Good luck with that. Seriously, I hope your friend is able to find a lawyer who can/will help him out--especially after the lawyer finds out that the girl had no insurance. That's almost always a death knell for any Plaintiff's case. Think about it, the people who aren't willing to pay for insurance usually have no money and no other assets against which you could satisfy a judgment. A judgment is essentially worthless if there's nothing to satisfy it.

If this situation serves no other purpose, I hope it at least convinces anyone who doesn't have underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage to ante up and get it.

I'm glad your friend wasn't hurt worse. I hope he recovers quickly and fully. And I hope the bike's owner had uninsured/underinsured coverage to help pay for it all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike was fully insured. Getting the bike replaced/fixed won't be at any cost to the owner, so that's good.

Surgery went well yesterday as far as I know. Bonus there. Could have been a lot worse.

As for the girl and lack of insurance, I believe they're checking now to see if she was the actual owner of the car. If not, they can go after the owner. I don't know about the US, but here it is illegal to "allow operation of a vehicle by an uninsured driver" and a huge fine and pts go with it to the OWNER of the vehicle (as well as the driver). Since that is the case, they may be able to go after the owner in court as well, or at least his/her insurance. This, of course, all depends on whether or not she owned it to begin with.... if she did, they may be SOL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
decius said:
Last night, one of the guys I ride with went down. He is a very good rider and rides an '04 750. He borrowed a buddy's '05 636 and took it for a spin. Now for a bit of background on the 636.... it was bought this spring, and was down once already about a month ago. Silly mistake on the owner's part, but no big deal. He finally got all the parts in and had it put back together last weekend. Anyway, the 750 owner takes it out for a spin for a few minutes. No big deal, as he has done it before loads of times (works each way, the other guy has borrowed the 750 before as well). Coming up the road on the way to swap bikes back again, a girl coming the opposite way turns left RIGHT in front of him. Never had time to break. His the side of the tail of the car.

Bike looks like it may be totalled, but needs to get to the shop to be inspected first. The rider was wearing helmet, boots, jeans, gloves, leather jacket. He has a bit of minor road rash on one knee. The problem is with his arm though. I guess he landed funny, cause his arm is broken clean. His wrist is mangled though. All tendons/ligaments are torn. He's going in for surgery today for it.

Officer showed up and was a royal ASS about it all. He basically got out and immediately said it was the bike's fault. There were a bunch of witnesses of his comments so that will help (keep reading). He basically said "It's all you bikers always causing this shit." BRUTAL!!! Needless to say, this bias probably ended up in his report as well, so that will need to be addressed. The guys are filing complaints with the Department today, as well as his supervisor directly. They are afraid that his biased report will hurt the guys' case so they are going to try to discredit it right away.

Anyway, all in all, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Rider walked away. Arm needs to be fixed up and will take a while, but it could have been worse. It was completely the fault of the girl in the cage so hopefully the bike can be fixed/replaced without any insurance problems with the owner.

Biased Cops :pisson
Shitty inattentive cage drivers :pisson
Next time a cop acts like that at an accident scene demand a supervisor be dispatched. Call the department yourself if you have to. I would file a complaint as well

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thread Jack!!!

So i'd like to ask everyone if they ride with their High Beams on 24/7 like I do? Soon as i think that someone does not see me i put my beam into a mirror or something.

·
Registered
297 Posts
addivinum said:
Damn that's hardcore, and it's definately a scary thought.

everytime I see a car ahead of me turning. I always cover my brakes,
Its horrifying.
when i have this situation ahead of me i always flick my high beams a couple times. make sure i get their attention.

·
Registered
124 Posts
train460 said:
when i have this situation ahead of me i always flick my high beams a couple times. make sure i get their attention.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad IDEA! Did you take MSF? Cagers dont know what that means, it means something different to everyone. Sometimes it means go ahead, i see you... other times it means, im coming dont move. Dont recommend it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts