Sport Bikes banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Consider how far ahead you can see/ scan in traffic/ on the street and recognise any type of hazard whether it be a turning car, gravel, animals, curve. Then realize the time/ distance it would take to react if something is in the way of your path of travel.
If you can't see far enough ahead just give yourself some time/ space.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Ok those are scary numbers.. Got me thinking about how fast I can react to a sittuation.. and how much room I need to anticipate for. Results scared me enough to break out a calculator.. which almost never happens.

if going at 65mph your doing 95fps - That leaves very little room for error..
Considering the average Reaction time speed is 215 milliseconds.
Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Stats
*apply some cross multiplication (did I do this right?) and you travel 20 feet before your mind even comprehends what is happening..

at 100 mph you travel almost 32 feet. thats the leangth of a standard trailer that sits on the back of a truck.

(I hope my math is wrong)
Your math is wrong, and unfortunately it's optimistic. As vaguely addressed, unless you ride down the highway anticipating a deer to jump out every millisecond you ride(contrary to what people tell themselves nobody rides this alert) there is an even b***** delay.

Now add to the fact that the moment you have processed that something bad is happening, you don't instantly end up decelerating as hard as possible. There's time to go from on the throttle to off, as well as grab the brakes, and now how good are you at braking with serious mental pressure?

Everyone: This is the beginner forum, if you aren't going to contribute kindly fuck off.

·
Registered
313 Posts
these calculations have nothing to do with "adrenalin" rushes, I showed them for people to consider some factors when riding a motorcycle, and take those numbers into consideration when doing normal riding around town or country roads.
How long does it take you to do the math? I'm sure by the time you have your mathmatical answer you would have already smashed into something :eek:nfloor

But seriously.. Thanks for the advice.. def a great sticky..

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How long does it take you to do the math? I'm sure by the time you have your mathmatical answer you would have already smashed into something :eek:nfloor

But seriously.. Thanks for the advice.. def a great sticky..
if you pay attention to your speed on a regular basis, there is limited calculations you need to do, and just assume that looking at your speedo x 1.5 is pretty close to feet per second. also why i broke down the numbers for common speeds.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
if you pay attention to your speed on a regular basis, there is limited calculations you need to do, and just assume that looking at your speedo x 1.5 is pretty close to feet per second. also why i broke down the numbers for common speeds.
I liked your first post in this thread. It's a good post binx. :)

1.466 is the multiplyer for MPH to fps and you divide by 1.466 to go the other way. Average perception & reaction time is 1.6 seconds so if you were travelling at 60mph, 87.96fps, you would travel 140.73 feet just realizing something has come into your path and formulated what you are going to do about it. If you are anticipating an obstruction, such as approaching an intersection, you lose that first 1 second as your mind is already prepared to act.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Also light travels at 186,000 miles per second. Sound takes almost 7 seconds per mile. This difference in speed between light and sound explains why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
. On the track, any kind of it, you can get high doses of acceleration and excitement, and unless I were doing Texas mile kind of events, I have no need for a 240mph bike (is it even possible?).
Yes, on salt no less.

I don't think the bikes are getting to 240 in the mile. Alcohol drag bikes hit that....on 1,500 yrds.

Methinks that would qualify as exciting.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that braking distance squares with every doubling in speed. So in addition to reaction time, you also have that to consider. Doubling your speed approximately quadruples stopping distance (assuming no brake fade).

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that braking distance squares with every doubling in speed. So in addition to reaction time, you also have that to consider. Doubling your speed approximately quadruples stopping distance (assuming no brake fade).
And assuming perfect braking abilities.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
And assuming perfect braking abilities.
No, not assuming that at all. If you, for example, are not perfect and only give the bike 70% of its best braking, a doubling of speed will still result in a squaring of braking distance.

Braking ability affects distance to brake, but it does not affect the underlying physics that the higher speed results in much higher energy.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
No, not assuming that at all. If you, for example, are not perfect and only give the bike 70% of its best braking, a doubling of speed will still result in a squaring of braking distance.

Braking ability affects distance to brake, but it does not affect the underlying physics that the higher speed results in much higher energy.
My apologies. I misunderstood what was being said. You are correct :superdude I meant more along the lines of constant braking abilities. A rider should also be aware that they may be more nervous or scared to brake as hard at 100mph than they are at say, 30mph, and so may be able to give it 90% at 30, but only maybe 60% at 100mph.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts