Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since it was brought up in another thread, and there are no how to's, can we explain feathering the clutch when starting wheelies?? This will be beneficial so that people understand when you say clutching up the wheelie, you dont mean DUMPING the clutch.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
njssli22 said:
Ok, since it was brought up in another thread, and there are no how to's, can we explain feathering the clutch when starting wheelies?? This will be beneficial so that people understand when you say clutching up the wheelie, you dont mean DUMPING the clutch.. :)
I just finally got the concept.. as I was powering mine mostly until I got the clutch tongiht. Basically I start by giving the bike gas and as I am twisting the throttle I pull the clutch in about 1/2" and let it out in one smooth motion all the while still twisting the throttle. Do not "chop" or let off while you feather.. give it alittle more until the desired wheelie height is reached.

Do not pull it in and then wack the throttle and dump like original poster states. it should be one fluid motion while the hand is giving gas.. it takes some practice to be smooth but it will come with time. :banana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
wow that already helped me, in understanding at least, havnt tried it (just got off work and am drinking) but I was doing it all wrong, i didnt dump the clutch but let it out very very quick and wasnt easy on the throttle. how should you be giving it throttle like how fast should you be givin it gas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
rs50asu said:
wow that already helped me, in understanding at least, havnt tried it (just got off work and am drinking) but I was doing it all wrong, i didnt dump the clutch but let it out very very quick and wasnt easy on the throttle. how should you be giving it throttle like how fast should you be givin it gas?

You should be steady on the gas. I start by standing up ,bring my r's up to like 4500(V-twin) and with 1 finger bring the clutch in until it slips, no farther, and as I'm bringing in the clutch smoothy grab full throttle and let the clutch right back out as soon as I "feel" my r's are high enough to bring it up. Then let the bike come up to you until you reach your balance point, should be one nice smooth motion. REMEMBER to cover the rear brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
how does that play into bounce ups - if at all? same thing, or you just stick to WOT? i finally got my bounce ups down, but am feeling empty on RPM's after i bring it up and would like more room to play. im sure running at 11k cant be good for the engine straight up.
doing sit downs, i just got used to predicting the jump on power ups and it served me fine, but im interested to go out and try this now. would u suggest practicing the technique sitting or standing first to get used to using the clutch as the power guide?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no wonder I couldnt get it right..and why the hell wouldnt somebody ask this question sooner? Thanks to all that responded, keep the tips coming..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
njssli22 said:
no wonder I couldnt get it right..and why the hell wouldnt somebody ask this question sooner? Thanks to all that responded, keep the tips coming..
ya i couldnt get it for about a year. then i watched that "wheelies from dummies" and they showed the "handful of clutch technique". Before i was grabing the clutch all the way and then gunning the throttle. Basically all that did was ocassional lift of about 4 inches or mostly just the bike surging forward.

I found that the twist and 1/2" dip in the clutch brings it up nicely and by adjusting the speed of the 1/2" dip will allow the throttle to get higher on revs and bring it up higher. I am still learning but I feel I am almost there on getting where I need to be. :beer
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top