Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
sckego said:
OK, somewhat off topic, here, but go back to the chart that chandra posted...

Are these bikes specifically set up for the 1/4 mile? It seems like they completley run out of steam as soon as they pass that mark... look at the ZX-6R... 0-137.3 in 10.4 seconds. To get another 2.7 mph faster (up to 140) took another 2 full seconds. The same goes for all the rest of the bikes in that chart... The Triumph gets to 135.7 in 10.5 sec, and then takes another 2.5 seconds to add another 4 mph. Is it just coincidence that their acceleration happens to die at the 1/4 mile mark, or do the manufacturers specifically optimize the bikes for the quarter at the expense of acceleration at higher speeds?
Just watch this... it might help:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/cd11e61c-d02b-4164-941b-cd4bce561420.htm

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
chandra.hp said:
Doesn't make THAT big of a difference. The EURO ECU mod only helps at the near red-line RPM range.

Here's a dyno run of a ZX-6R with US ECU vs. EURO ECU:
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/06zx6r.jpg

Truth be told... ZX-6R spanks the competition! :eatpop

SPANKS?!?

it's 0.04 seconds faster in the quarter mile than the next bike. You don't think the Euro ECU could be responsible for 0.04 seconds? Think again....

Whatever- arguing about this is worthless. They're all essentially the same speed given the same rider. Even in the hands of pro riders, it'll come down to who's having a better day at the track.

Though the torque curves are what you should really compare... the Triumph will have a HUGE advantage on corner exit speed, as will the 636 over the other bikes.

So which is faster in a quarter mile? Maybe the 636... but who the fuck really buys a 600 class bike to go drag racing?

I mean- there's some people who do, but i'd say the majority of people take them to tracks....

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Hornetsnest said:
+1

Most of us aren't good enough riders for the performance differences to even matter.
That hits the nail on the head!!!

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
chandra.hp said:
LOL... relax. I'm just messing around. I doubt anyone here on there boards will notice the difference between ANY of those bikes.
lol- i got you were messing around.

i'm not allowed to join in?

and yeah- i've felt for a LOOOONG time that i'm just going to get the bike that looks prettiest and is somewhat comfortable. I can never ride as much as i want to, anyways- and i never have time to go to the track.

So i don't really base my decisions on what is fastest, just what category of bikes is most useful to the type of riding i do. The triple was tempting because it's a perfect mex between the I-4 and V-twin.... so i didn't even have to make the decision between those two.

Seemed logical..... plus the bikes are pure sex, and i love fixing electrical problems. :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Choco said:
now how is a R faster than an RR?
The ZX-6RR is the bike that is ACTUALLY 600cc. The ZX-6R is 636cc.

The RR can compete in the 600cc classes of racing and the R can't. But for the street and trackdays the extra 36 cc makes it a little faster.

The RR comes with a slipper clutch, though... which is nice. And i think it's got an adjustable swingarm pivot as well as a couple other things....

But in a STRAIGHT line, the 6R is slightly faster.

:)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
TOPGUN$%^: said:
The 675 is a fast bike for sure, but no where near a GSXR 750.

:rolleyes

The 750 is still a bit faster in a straight line.... but the 675 comes eerily close to matching the 750 in performance on the track. It's an amazing little bike.

And i couldn't help but notice you own a suzuki. :)

Yes, i own a triumph. But not the 675. But i try to remain completely objective on all sportbike matters.... just a habit i picked up while becoming an engineer, i think. Brand loyalty is stupid, because all of them have their individual strong points.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Choco said:
now how is a R faster than an RR?

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=316065 said:
Actually it's 37cc's, a 636 vs a 599...
6r Displacement: 636 cc
rr Displacement: 599 cc
6r Bore & Stroke 68.0 x 43.8 mm
rr Bore & Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5 mm
6r Maximum Torque: 52.0 lb-ft @ 11,500 rpm
rr Maximum Torque: 50.8 lb-ft @ 12,000 rpm
6r Compression Ratio: 12.9:1
rr Compression Ratio: 13.9:1
6r Fuel Injection: DFI with Mikuni 43mm Throttle Bodies (4)
rr Carburetor: DFI with Keihin 38mm Throttle Bodies (4)
6r Rake/Trail: 25°/4.2 in.
rr Rake/Trail: 25.5°/4.3 in.
6r Wheelbase: 54.7 in.
rr Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
6r Front Suspension: 41mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping
rr Front Suspension: 41mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping,TiSiCN Coating
6r Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping
rr Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound, High and Low Speed Compression Damping, and Ride Height

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am positive it's not the Ducati or the CBR600. There accelerationg is starting to diminish by 140 mph so I am guessing there coefficient of drag is higher then the rest of the pack. Surpising since the Ducati has so much torque.

The four most likely candidates are the Y6 for it's top end power, the 636 and 675 because of their torque advantage, and the Suzuki because of it reduced aero drag (muffler placement - integrated blinkers) and not to mention it's top end power is right up there with the Yamaha and Kawasaki.

One thing I noticed in that video is that the 636 was bouncing off the rev limiter, maybe it's top speed is limited by gearing?

What would really help is if we knew the coefficient of drag for each bike, but I don't think manufacters release these numbers because they aren't pretty.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
hks1255 said:
hey all whats up?
ive been wondering for sometime now what is the fastest stock 600cc sportbike?

thank you, clay
Considering you can completely slaughter your driver's license and *all* the roads in the US with *any* of them, and considering they're all within negligible numbers of each other, I'd think comfort, appearance, and/or brand loyalty should be the considering forces in buying.

$.02

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
You're right, it's actually faster that the GSXR750 in roll on tests. Look up the numbers before you speak and know what you speak of.
" Look up the numbers before you speak and know what you speak of. "
LOL. Should have bought a 750!!!!
oh and :fot

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
You're just upset because you own an overweight pig of a bike.

Oh, and you're calling me a troll? Who's name is on the staff list, moron?
Hey man it's not a big deal I'm sure if you talk to the guys at the stealership you bought off, they will let you return it. :eek:nfloor
35 years old and your getting upset because some is talking shit about your bike, you must not have been riding for very long. Get over it and grow up.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts