Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1566157

So there is this guy that claims that his 1.8T Audi (probably 180 hp max, only a chip, but it is a quattro AWD, so even slower than a normal 1.8T), with its new suspension was able to keep up with a groups of riders (friends of him) on a twisty road...

We're talking about a 1.8T A4 Quattro Audi versus newer SS litre bikes.

A 180hp AWD family sedan, with more than 3000lbs, keeping up with 300lbs 150hp bikes???

Obviously, being a car forum, the general population thinks that it is completely possible and that bikes handle like crap.

Opinions?

Pic belongs to "ragingduck" @ VW Vortex

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the f*ck out of here!!!

Definitely biased source!! That is total BS!!!!! I once saw an R6 race an M3 and the R6 took the M3 by atleast 50 yards. Homeboy driving the M3 didnt wnat to come back to chat..He just bounced..and now that Audi claims to beat the R1....No F*ckin way!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
heh,... hmmm I really dont think thats possible. Unless his friends all ride like a bunch of grannies..

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It's not BS. Think about it, it was probably a good driver with good suspension/tires and average riders. It's so much easier to drive a car fast through the twisties than it is a bike. This debate has been going on forever, this guy probably got dusted evertime there was even a short straight, but I'll bet the riders were only average and were not going as hard as the bike possibly could in the corners. Put a pro racer on a bike and it would be a little different story (although the car would still keep up)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
ckarlic said:
Definitely biased source!! That is total BS!!!!! I once saw an R6 race an M3 and the R6 took the M3 by atleast 50 yards. Homeboy driving the M3 didnt wnat to come back to chat..He just bounced..and now that Audi claims to beat the R1....No F*ckin way!!!
An R6 will go through tight twisties quicker than an R1 will, you do realize that in corners it doesn't matter all that much if you have 160hp+ right?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
firefighter81 said:
It's not BS. Think about it, it was probably a good driver with good suspension/tires and average riders. It's so much easier to drive a car fast through the twisties than it is a bike. This debate has been going on forever, this guy probably got dusted evertime there was even a short straight, but I'll bet the riders were only average and were not going as hard as the bike possibly could in the corners. Put a pro racer on a bike and it would be a little different story (although the car would still keep up)

agreed.

123456789 (stupid your message is too short shit!)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
-----
find my car to be far more exhilerating.
It's about 1000 x times harder to drive
whichs means it's 1000 x more dangerous thus more adrenaline pumping and fun.

I have become bored of sport bikes. I sold my last one after only 10-15 rides.
I do love leaning through a corner though.

-----

Ha, an AWD luxo barge being 1000x harder to "drive" than a sport-bike, being 1000x more dangerous. Moron.

Who cares what they say, I doubt 90% of those guys have even sat on a motorcycle, especially the failed abortion who posted the trash I quoted.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I was just reading that quote you listed redstar. I was laughing my ass off, I'm almost tempted to register just to respond to that, but I'm not gonna be a troll. I want to know what makes his car 1000x harder to drive and 1000x more dangerous.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll make a comment here althought I was jumped on this argument before. I'm pretty new to the bike world but I've been in pretty quick cars for the past 10 years or so. The VW/Audi 1.8T motor responds VERY WELL to mods. It's a 5-valve with pretty low boost and can turn well over 200 HP with just a chip. Second AWD cars are about the most idiot-proof driving experience ever. AWD cars also have an advantage with braking, esp. with ABS. Also Audi's are designed for teh autobahn where cruising at 100-MPH is common. A luxo barge is hardly the word for an Audi.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
did you watch the video with the Carrera 4 and R1?

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I love that road. I was just taking that road down (Second up on my roomy's ST1100 Pan Euro) two weeks ago. Big Sur is one hell of a sweet road--it's way worth making a day of going down it, stopping every 15 minutes to enjoy one of the finest coastlines in the US, and possibly the world.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Anything is possible on the internet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It seems that with four tires, a car would have 10+ times the contact patch of a bike. Seems obvious that a car can out corner a bike any time of the day.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
does it really matter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hell I'll say your astro van is fast as hell if you haul my gear around in it on a trip, might even let you roast me once at a stop light for good measure. :leghump

·
Registered
457 Posts
you can end the debate real simple.. have all the riders post their rear tires :)

and when riding in a group of 5 or so riders, why would you go all out in the twisties? thats dangerous.. especially on public roads..

·
Registered
457 Posts
synergy said:
It seems that with four tires, a car would have 10+ times the contact patch of a bike. Seems obvious that a car can out corner a bike any time of the day.
maybe with you riding.. i have taken corners on my bike at 130 mph with the side of my foot rubbing on the asphalt and i know lots of cars arn't even going to come close to that on that corner.

from my experience with cars and motorcycles, i can get through turns quicker on a bike than in a car

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Bottom line is:

An average rider on a near-stock bike will be outdone by an average driver in a well set-up car in the twisties.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
depends on the road/course, if it's long and open a bike will win. if it's short and tight a car will win. the vehicle that held the record at "deals gap" for a long while, was a miata :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Bottom line is:

An average rider on a near-stock bike will be outdone by an average driver in a well set-up car in the twisties.
I would have to agree on this one.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts