Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in the motorcycle hand book it says all helmet should have a DOT approval printed on the back of all approved helmets. One of the things that I remember reading from the book is that to make sure it is not a "sticker".

Meets U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and state safety standards.
• Has the DOT lettering on the back of the helmet for your safety.
NOTE: The DOT lettering should not be a stick-on label or easily removed.

I just got my Shoei helmet in the mail and the first thing I checked was to see if it was a sticker and it was. It is the Shoei RF-1000. Can anyone else check their helmet for me too. Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
mine is a sticker as well. The sticker is fine. The real label is inside the helmet under the padding. It will also tell you what year your helmet was manufactured. A lot of the helmets you will find at reduced prices on line are a year old.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is a sticker as well. The sticker is fine. The real label is inside the helmet under the padding. It will also tell you what year your helmet was manufactured. A lot of the helmets you will find at reduced prices on line are a year old.
Thanks for the info. I'll check my helmet when I get home..

·
Registered
696 Posts
All my helmets have had DOT and Snell stickers

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
My RF1000 has a sticker, but it doesn't matter if it is a sticker or painted on. In fact, we have a lot of students come to our classes after they've removed the sticker. If they have, we rely on the inside label.

DOT is a self-certification anyway. It really doesn't mean much unless the manufacturer (like Shoei for example) has something to lose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A sticker is fine, in fact, that is what DOT sends the helmet manufacturers.
Yep, mine is a sticker too, but I don't think DOT sends the manufacturer "the" sticker - I've seen them in all different designs, some with the Snell included, different size, fonts, etc. There isn't really even an official logo or seal.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
A sticker is fine, in fact, that is what DOT sends the helmet manufacturers.
Right. DOT doesn't send anything. DOT, as they will make a specific point of saying, also doesn't certify helmets. They publish standards.

The manufacturer sends paperwork to DOT claiming that the helmet meets standards. DOT does have a compliance program that tests very few helmets every year, but it's so small as to be mostly useless. Still, some helmets in this small sample don't pass every year.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shoei uses stickers. Arai is painted on. I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's fake if you bought it from a reputable seller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts