Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i'm going to be in the market soon to buy a first bike, and have been looking at all the types of bikes around the 600 class. im just curious as to what the differences are between the honda f4i's and the 600rr's. i know that the rr are the race type bike, but what things make an f4i different from the rr? as far as motor, chassis, suspension etc...from what i've read so far the f4i is the more streetable bike, which would probably be better for myself but i just want to know what makes them different. thanks for any replies

·
Registered
15 Posts
The F4I is more bike than you will need to be honest. Most are going to say that the F4 is more of a street bike and of the two I have to agree. I think most will tend to forget how many 600cc Super Sport races the F4I has won and how well it done on the track. It is funny how one day a grate race bike is a good street bike.

The RR is more of a GP style race bike with a more aggressive riding position. It has about 117hp v/s the F4I’s 100hp ish. I’m not totally sure on the numbers, but they are close it depend on what magazine you read. The RR is about 10lbs lighter. The new RR comes with radial brakes. I can’t believe the first few years didn’t. The RR struggled for a few years in the AMA when it came out. Of course the swing arm, frame and undertail exhaust are new. I think the forks are smaller on the RR than the F4I not sure whats up with that.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Neither bike is a good starter bike. For a time, I had both a 2004 RR and a 2004 F4i in my garage. Their engines were the same. The FI on the RR is mapped differently and the throttle bodies on the RR are 2 or 3 MM larger. Unless you are a professional road racer, you could ride one, get off and get on the other and your lap times will be so close, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

When people tell you the F4i is a good starter bike, ask them how many miles they have put on one...otherwise, it's idiot wind

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks very much for the replies. I have read just about everything on here about what makes a good starter bike, i've heard it all and I've talked to many people from those who have been riding for years and years to those who have just started. I may still get an f4i but i'm looking at bikes like the sv650's to the f4i, i know how different they are but i'll make my decision when the time to buy one gets closer. thanks for pointing out the differences between the f4i and the rr though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Read the beginers forums and know that you have a very high chance of being a poser on any 600ss as a first bike. You also have a high risk of crashing if you decide to hot foot it and fuck up during your first season. Something to think about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys i have read so many of the topics and stickys in the beginners forum and I have taken into consideration everything I have read in there. I'm not gonna pick up a 600 bike and go out try to be the hottest thing on the street. my dad has been riding street bikes since he was my age, and he has pounded it in my head that no matter what bike im on i have to go out and respect the bike and my ability and I trust myself to do that. he has ridden all types of sportbikes in his time, and he even suggests that i get a 600 and take it easy till i know the bike and the do's and don'ts of riding in traffic. he's not going to let his own son go out and get splattered all over the street. I do appreciate all your words of advice though

·
Registered
649 Posts
Buy whatever you want. Just learn how to ride and don't be a poser. At least your ready to rock out on a Honda!!!!! That makes you 10x smarter than the average biker.:cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand the poser thing, see them all the time in the off-road scene. So what should i get first, a twelve bar, or a turbo?...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I'm curious to know the specifics of why bumblebee doesn't think either bike is a good starter bike.
Because unskilled riders on 400lb bikes with 100+ horsepower is dangerous...especially if the rider is under 25.

But I am not picking on sportbikers...I believe these middle age fools buying 800lb boat anchors for their first bikes, so they they dress up in leather and pose from bar to bar is just as, if not more stupid, because they are old enough to know better

·
Registered
327 Posts
I owned a cbr 600f4i for a year and now own a 1000rr. Even though they are not the same cc. To compare a 600f4i and a 600rr, I can tell you the f4i is much more relaxing. you sit a little higher and the handlebars are more upright so you are not so hunched over. Even though they are both 600's the f4i is geared differently so that if you make a mistake it doesn't throw you off the bike. If you zero experience on two wheels, I would recommend the f4i. If you have ridden before go with the 600rr and don't look back. You also want to keep in mind who you ride with and what they have. You don't necessarily need to be the leader of the pack but you don't want to be "catching" up all the time neither.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You don't necessarily need to be the leader of the pack but you don't want to be "catching" up all the time neither.
On public roads, it's never going to be the bike that's holding the rider back. Even a ninja 250 will do upwards 100mph, so that argument is null. Rider skill/comfort is what makes people fall behind.

·
Registered
649 Posts
True that. Me on a 250 and my brother on a DT50 would leave my buddy on his R6 in traffic. Some people just suck and can't ride for shit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts