Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
old member
13,079 Posts
F4i = 2 years ago Honda 600ss
600rr = current Honda 600ss

RC51 = 5 (?) years ago Honda superbike (liter v-twin, still quite potent)
CBR1000rr = current Honda 1000ss

All are great bikes in their own ways. None make a good first bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dont buy any of those if its your first bike, specially the liter bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 94 yamaha fzr 600. Was just curious. Would you recommend moving up to say a 600rr or a rc51 before getting an R1?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
How much experience do you have on that FZR? The 600RR is just as potent as litre bikes were 6-7 years ago. The RC51 has a completely different powerband than the inline 4's so if you jumped on that right after the FZR, you might find it difficult to control. If you absolutely had to move up, I'd say the 600RR but hopefully you would have some good experience on that FZR.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
RayOSV said:
None make a good first bike.
black7R said:
Dont buy any of those if its your first bike, specially the liter bikes.
Man you guys are all over this one!

I'm not sure if you can compare the Twin to the 4-banger, almost like apples and oranges there. But if you're moving up to something comparable, say an F4i or 600rr, you may want to sit on them and do a few lot rides (if the dealership will let you!) I know that the ergonomics play a huge role in purchasing a new machine for a lot of riders, as they should.

Example: 600RR and F4i, maybe 110 peak HP versus 95 peak HP, similar peak torques, etc. But a lot of riders up here chose the F4i because of the way they sat "over" the RR.

·
Registered
243 Posts
None make good first bikes. You'll find all the reviews say the F4i is the easiest bike to get on and ride fast and control, it's also going to have a more fomfortable riding position. Best advice, find and older f3 or something like that :dblthumb , (even that will be fast for a first bike) because it's not if you're going to drop it, it's when. 2 of my friends just bought brand new (first) bikes within the last month. One an 05 ZZR, the other an 05 636. Both have been droped already. Chances are you wont kill yourself, but plastics are expensive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
lets compare apples to oranges to shoes to golf clubs...

Very different bikes all around. The F4i and the 600rr are the closest, but still quite different...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh its not your FIRST bike. Thats better then.

If you have some time on the fzr, then you could step up to any of the
bikes you listed. BUT, even the modern 600's you listed will be pretty fast
compared to your fzr, im sure. (although the old fzr's are quick)

The thing is, the 600's (fzr, f4i, 600rr) wont wheelie to easily in first gear unexpectedly whereas the 51 and especially the R1 will.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
mikem317 said:
But a lot of riders up here chose the F4i because of the way they sat "over" the RR.
What do you mean by "sat over the RR"?

·
Registered
488 Posts
TJT said:
What do you mean by "sat over the RR"?
the way the seat felt on their arse and their body postion on the bike.. I'm assuming, didnt mean to speak for you, but thats what it usually means.. if i'm wrong, by all means correct me. lol

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
njssli22 said:
the way the seat felt on their arse and their body postion on the bike.. I'm assuming, didnt mean to speak for you, but thats what it usually means.. if i'm wrong, by all means correct me. lol
That makes sense. Anyway I love the seat/body position on the RR myself.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
njssli22 said:
Nope, that's exactly what I meant. I sat on one in the showroom and it was more "race" oriented in terms of ergos. It might be the next bike in a few years for me, but the F4i is a great compromise IMO on performance and ergos.

·
Registered
321 Posts
stope said:
So what are the differences? Which is best, etc...
The RC51 doesn't belong in that group!! :mad: The first three are inline 4s, the RC51 is a classy Vtwin sportbike. That is why it cost more than the others, and it hasn't been changed since 2002,except for color. Can you say the same about the other bikes???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally went with the f4i for comfort. also the seat is better for my girlfriend to ride on the back. Also strongly recommend used if your new to the game. Friend bought brand new 600 gsxr as first bike and dropped it first day plus many other days and now it has cracks. Just a thought

·
Registered
772 Posts
mikem317 said:
Example: 600RR and F4i, maybe 110 peak HP versus 95 peak HP, similar peak torques, etc. But a lot of riders up here chose the F4i because of the way they sat "over" the RR.
I know you were guessing but curiosity got the best of me and I looked it up. According to sport rider, the '06 RR peaks at 105 and the '06 F4i peaks at 97.
Of course the biggest difference are the ergonomics and suspension kits on the bikes. :cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts