Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally got around to pulling the smog cannister from my California Emissions equiped '02 F4i.

I've done a fair amount of reading on it lately and found that Honda claimed a 2HP difference between the Cali bike and the 49 state bike. The cannister also adds a couple lbs though I don't the number.

Pulling the cannister was actually very easy (pull two bolts, completely remove one hose from the bike, move two hoses from the cannister to the normal hose clip on the fairing, remove the hose coming from the 4 way throttle body tee and plug it).

It may indeed only be 2HP (I have no dyno) but it really perked up the middle RPM range. 6k - 9k definately pulls harder now. 45 minutes and $0 invested yielded quite the improvement.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Gotta love that!!! Free is such a sweet word.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey! 02 Cali F4i in Boise, Idaho? Was that a salvage bike? I wrecked one JUST like that on Highway 21 last summer when some Tahoe from Maine crossed the line and struck my friend's bike. I hit his bike where it lay in the middle of the road, it was unavoidable. What is the VIN? I always hoped she would be back on the road someday. Mine was JH2PC35192M300826. I get all tingly hoping she survived. That bike was good to me.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Gotta love Cali! I know Mass. has similar laws, but not to the same pervasiveness as CA. Those industrial diesel trucks' exhaust prob. put out more air pollution than bikes.

I feel the same way w/ my newly installed K&N. After 8,000 RPMs, there seems to be a little bit more oompf! and a little more noise under me, guessin' it's the different air pattern flowing through the air box assembly.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woody600 said:
Hey! 02 Cali F4i in Boise, Idaho? Was that a salvage bike? I wrecked one JUST like that on Highway 21 last summer when some Tahoe from Maine crossed the line and struck my friend's bike. I hit his bike where it lay in the middle of the road, it was unavoidable. What is the VIN? I always hoped she would be back on the road someday. Mine was JH2PC35192M300826. I get all tingly hoping she survived. That bike was good to me.

I don't have the VIN with me (in Jersey for the week) but I'm sure its a different bike. My is a salvage bike but, I did a VIN check when I bought it.

Some fool in Cali registered it for the first time in July of 2002 and totalled it in August of 2002. I looked the bike over and rode it before making the buy and got a good enough deal that I could have dropped some cash on minor repairs and still come out ahead. The bike runs great with the exception of the CCT issue (have a manual at home to be installed next week) I've also had all of the fairings off for various reasons since then and everything is cherry.

What color was yours anyway?
How do you like the R6 in comparison?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mine was in "Winning Red" just like yours. I just got the R6, only put 1XX miles on it since I got it. I left it in Boise since I am leaving the Marine Corps in a little over a year. One or two weeks of riding a year in Idaho is better than all year long in Missouri (where I am stationed). No offense KC Riders! In my limited experience I can tell that the R6 is less user friendly but by no means hard to control. It is definitely set up more aggressively. Once I am more familiar with it I imagine the "less user friendly" tag will drop. I did put 10,000 miles on my F4i, so we got along pretty well. It is an excellent bike. Sometimes it seemed like there was a bad rap for the F4i for not being racy enough, especially dealers trying to push a 600RR on me, and I think that is BS. That bike was quick and capable. I tell people it's 90% rider. I might go pick up an another F4i someday when they are a bit older.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mikem317 said:
Gotta love Cali! I know Mass. has similar laws, but not to the same pervasiveness as CA.
Yep Cali is pretty strict about emmissions, but if you hang out here in the summer you can't help but agree with it. In August you can see a nice brownish haze...oh and a week after washing my car it has a nice coating of grit on it.

I actually heard that most motorcycles have worse emmissions than cars, but in Cali they don't sit in traffic idling so you end up getting where you are going in 25% less time. In the end we would be better off replacing all the SUVs with motorcycles.

Regarding the yanking of emmissions equipment...I can't wait to be able to convert my F4i into a track bike and gutting all that shit. Let my baby breath dammit!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
redcbrla said:
Yep Cali is pretty strict about emmissions, but if you hang out here in the summer you can't help but agree with it. In August you can see a nice brownish haze...oh and a week after washing my car it has a nice coating of grit on it.
Could be worse. Ever travel to Mexico City?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know where I can find information on removing the emission system. I have a 2000' ZX9R that has had this removed. The bike has a flooding problem and are wondering if this may be the cause of it. I have replaced all float valves and the bike still floods. I notice after getting the bike hot, when I get it home and take off the airbox, there is about 3/16" of fule sitting on the butterfly and slowly getting sucked into the engine. I'm not sure why the fuel is sitting in there, I had adjusted the float heights to be on the lean side.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a little info here:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11984

I personally don't know much about the Kawi bikes though. You may try a google search and see what you get.

rosalk said:
Do you know where I can find information on removing the emission system. I have a 2000' ZX9R that has had this removed. The bike has a flooding problem and are wondering if this may be the cause of it. I have replaced all float valves and the bike still floods. I notice after getting the bike hot, when I get it home and take off the airbox, there is about 3/16" of fule sitting on the butterfly and slowly getting sucked into the engine. I'm not sure why the fuel is sitting in there, I had adjusted the float heights to be on the lean side.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts