Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys looking for some guru's to chime in here. I recently put my f4i on the road for the first time since I purchased it two years ago. When I bought the bike it had been laid down by the previous owner it had a broken clip on scraped up plastics and a bent wheel but it started right up and ran fine and had a clean title 24k miles so I bought it. I started the bike and rode it down the road with the new wheel got it nice and hot and everything was fine a few times. Well my job moved me and the bike sat for over a year, last month I decided to finish it up and get it on the road. Everything was good till the second day I rode it to work on the way home I started here a knock/rattle it got progressively worse as I got closer to home and started to lose power dramatically so I made it almost home and walked it the rest. It seems too loud to be the cct and its at all rpms with or without the clucth in. The only things that I have done to it is change the oil I used 15w50 full synthetic fuchs slikolene which the dealer swore up and down it was the greast oil ever lol and I fell for it. I changed the spark plugs to ngk 6966 laser iradium and I put a full tank of gas in it. I did a few tests on it tonight I checked the timing which was on par. I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and came up with (145,145,120,145) so I noticed one of my cylinders was a little low. A friend of mine suggested that the new gas I put in could have stirred up some stuff and clogged the injectors and it said it could cause the noise I was hearing but Im not sure clogged injectors could really cause the noise im hearing? Also noticed when I pulled the plugs the middle two looked to be fouled the outside plugs were fined. too much fuel? I could really use any help or suggestions

thanks guys.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
You'd be surprised, when a CCT REALLY goes it can make some hellacious noises that make it sound like your motor just grenaded. Don't rule it out just yet....

I wouldn't worry about that one low cylinder.... it's not gonna cause what you're experiencing. Injectors or anything along those lines wouldn't cause it either, something base engine would be my guess

It could, however, be fuel related, mainly fuel pressure, and the knock/rattle could be detonation caused by low fuel pressure causing it to lean out. If the bike sat for awhile there is a possibility it killed the fuel pump. Or even a stuck fuel pressure regulator could drop the pressure significantly as well. Def worth checking out and making sure you have good fuel pressure to the rail

Without hearing it first hand though it's hard to tell...

·
Banned
827 Posts
Try some fuel injector cleaner, sounds like a fuel issue (gas tank probably varnished over time). Take a look at the insides of the gas tank, if there is brown sludge, it could be affecting the flow from the fuel pump.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Would a faulty cam chain tensioner cause loss of power like that? I guess ill drain the oil tomorrow to check for metal shavings and order a ape chain tenshioner. Wondering if I should refill with the sugested 10w40? If things good anyone know how to check fuel pressure?

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
You'd need a fuel pressure gauge with a banjo fitting to put in place of the banjo bolt from the fuel line going into the rail. The fitting will have a nipple on the end to screw the fuel pressure gauge on. Unfortunately such fittings are usually sold in a whole kit, so it may be kinda hard to find

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys looking for some guru's to chime in here. I recently put my f4i on the road for the first time since I purchased it two years ago. When I bought the bike it had been laid down by the previous owner it had a broken clip on scraped up plastics and a bent wheel but it started right up and ran fine and had a clean title 24k miles so I bought it. I started the bike and rode it down the road with the new wheel got it nice and hot and everything was fine a few times. Well my job moved me and the bike sat for over a year, last month I decided to finish it up and get it on the road. Everything was good till the second day I rode it to work on the way home I started here a knock/rattle it got progressively worse as I got closer to home and started to lose power dramatically so I made it almost home and walked it the rest. It seems too loud to be the cct and its at all rpms with or without the clucth in. The only things that I have done to it is change the oil I used 15w50 full synthetic fuchs slikolene which the dealer swore up and down it was the greast oil ever lol and I fell for it. I changed the spark plugs to ngk 6966 laser iradium and I put a full tank of gas in it. I did a few tests on it tonight I checked the timing which was on par. I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and came up with (145,145,120,145) so I noticed one of my cylinders was a little low. A friend of mine suggested that the new gas I put in could have stirred up some stuff and clogged the injectors and it said it could cause the noise I was hearing but Im not sure clogged injectors could really cause the noise im hearing? Also noticed when I pulled the plugs the middle two looked to be fouled the outside plugs were fined. too much fuel? I could really use any help or suggestions

thanks guys.
Hello I’m currently having the same issue did you ever find the issue

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
OP hasn't been seen in 9 years. Good luck getting a response...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts