Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out to go for a ride, and smelled gas when I got close to my bike. I heard a leaking air noise and thought it was my tire. Turns out theres a 1" seam on the lower right side of my gas tank, right where my crotch would be, thats slowly leaking gas. I left the top cracked slightly to relieve pressure. Would this be patchable? Anyone ever had this happen to a tank? The whole right side of my bike is caked in dried gas sludge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I pulled the tank, and got some advice from some friends. My tank was getting seriously pressurized when it was shut especially with the temps outside here. Every time i would open my cap a loud woosh of air would come out. My bud told me to check the pressure valve for the tank, and when I lifted the tank, there are 2 fuel hoses and 1 electrical wire coming from the pump, and then 1 hose attached directly to the tank. That hose on the tank is hacked in half and I dont know where it is supposed to attach to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Süsser Tod said:
Nothing but welding will properly fix it.
K cool, I've already decided on getting a new tank, this ones fucked. Is the air vent hose coming out from under the gas tank supposed to be attached to anything? or just vent into the atmosphere? Right now I have no tube at all on my hose :confused:

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Air vent should be just atmosphere. Though if your tank is anything like mine, there's a one way valve in there that will let air come in but not out (hence the pressure). The pressure buildup is normal, I think, but a crack in the metal isn't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
enos said:
Air vent should be just atmosphere. Though if your tank is anything like mine, there's a one way valve in there that will let air come in but not out (hence the pressure). The pressure buildup is normal, I think, but a crack in the metal isn't.
do you know what else would cause enough pressure buildup in the tank to basically bust a seam in it? I dont know how long the patch will stay. Could overfilling a tank cause this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks ghetto now :( Time for a new tank painted raven black

There is nasty gas residue all over now, some places like the brake pedal assembly I cant get it off of. It left brown / greenish water marks on anything metal it got on.

Oh and that hose sticking out, was the air vent hose. I have no clue how this happened because it flowed fine when I blew through it and the valve wasnt clogged. Its not building pressure as bad anymore.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Damn dude that sucks! I remember when I accidentally punctured two holes in my ninja's gas tank I was PISSED (long story short, it's an inheirant design flaw), and it sucks getting gas all over everything. I patched my holes with JB Weld and it's worked fine for the last thousand miles or so.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
So the white thing is the patch?
As long as you stripped the paint off and did it right, it should stay.

The pressure is from heat evaporating the gas inside the tank. It definately should not be even close to busting metal, though.

And the place where this is happenning on yours isn't even a seam between two pieces? So you have a plain old hole, maybe from rust? Has it been sitting empty for a while?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
enos said:
So the white thing is the patch?
As long as you stripped the paint off and did it right, it should stay.

The pressure is from heat evaporating the gas inside the tank. It definately should not be even close to busting metal, though.

And the place where this is happenning on yours isn't even a seam between two pieces? So you have a plain old hole, maybe from rust? Has it been sitting empty for a while?
Yea the white thing is the patch. I used a gas tank repair kit from autozone called Quiksteel, worked pretty good but looks pretty awful. There was definitely rust under the paint there. This bike has a shittastic paint job, as I found out pulling the fairings off today. I think I'm just going to buy a new tank, sand it down and have it powdercoated black.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spike said:
Damn dude that sucks! I remember when I accidentally punctured two holes in my ninja's gas tank I was PISSED (long story short, it's an inheirant design flaw), and it sucks getting gas all over everything. I patched my holes with JB Weld and it's worked fine for the last thousand miles or so.
That gas is a pain to get off. I put about an hour of elbow grease, WD-40 and clean rag scrubbing into the plastics and it looks a bit better. I'm going to try a sort of stainless cleaner on the metals to try and get that greenish/brown sludge off.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Arpawocky said:
Yea the white thing is the patch. I used a gas tank repair kit from autozone called Quiksteel, worked pretty good but looks pretty awful. There was definitely rust under the paint there. This bike has a shittastic paint job, as I found out pulling the fairings off today. I think I'm just going to buy a new tank, sand it down and have it powdercoated black.

Maybe your bike was wrecked before, it was "repaired" and that was a weak point on the sheet metal?

Thats the only way I can think of how it could get as weak as to break like that because of gas pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts