Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced battery trouble with their F4i battery if you're in a lot of stop and go/idling? I'll explain. bike is less than 4K miles and had no trouble with the battery until I went to watch the Moto GP race recently at Laguna Seca. Long lines to get in and lot of stop and go traffic, idling time, probably for around 1/2 hour. I realize the low engine revs were probably not charging battery, and because I parked and when I came out later that day - dead. Jumped it, the battery held the charge and was fine that night riding and the next day. but then, next day, same stop and go traffic getting into the track, then when I had to pull over and stop the bike (to discuss double yellow lines with this guy wearing a uniform) then bike would not start. Tried to bump start down the hill. Started but didn't take. Parked it and later after the races, bump start worked and bike held the charge. Bike was fine that night and next day, then rode 220 miles home, hooked it up to trickle charger and it went to green on my trickle real fast. Anyway, a long thread, but just wanted to describe and see if anyone else has had similar problem. Just seems like I must have a very weak battery (I'm going to take into shop) or the bike can't take much stop and go/low revs for very long. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Note the crowds and traffic were the worst ever this year because of so many race fans for Moto GP - but man, totally worth it, awesome sound and power out of the GP bikes!!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The charging system on my/your F4i does not charge the battery at idle, so when you are idling in traffic with your lights, fan etc. on, you are draing the battery. you don't start charging the battery until 2K plus...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Yeah I guess there's a lot more power drain than I'm used to with fan and all - I guess electric for fuel pump too(?) Also this was the longest I'd ever sat in traffic on any bike. It was unbelievable, very narrow roads, sometimes no where to pass on the right and bumper to bumper stopped, so sometimes no place to go when riding left of the center line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeap..
have exact same problems.

Changed the battery..it would still go dead.

Changed the rectifier,,still goes dead.

so back to changing the battery again.

any suggestions, thoughts?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
you have to keep the revs at 2500 and up...also, I installed a trickle charger to keep it up when it sits...

Also I have noticed when it gets really hot (fan's been running a lot) the clutch doesn't want to engage properly and it is hard to take off from a dead stop.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Trickle charger is different in that it only charges a very small amount - usually in the milliamp range, instead of about 2 amps for other low range chargers.

And no, it doesn't charge while you're riding, it charges when your bike is parked for extended periods of time. The ONLY way to charge while riding is as stated. This is common to all CBR's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts