Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, driving home with the kids from the Orioles game in Baltimore down 295 (the BW parkway) about 11 pm last night in fairly heavy traffic. We're moving pretty quick for after game traffic, maybe about 50-60 mph. I glance up in my mirror to see two ass-clowns splitting lanes doing at least 80-90. Tell me, do you morons really have someplace that important to be at 11pm, or do you just have a deathwish? My kids see this and say Wow, look at those stupid guys (9 and 10 years old), and ask if I ride like that. Nice example to set. I don't care if you retards wrap yourself around a tree, I won't lose a tear for you, but think about the kids in the backseat of the car you might plow into at those speeds. Take it to the track, or someone might just open a car door for you next time you're splitting...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
and people wonder why we have a bad wrap..........

·
Registered
569 Posts
Should've opened your door... that would've taught 'em!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mykl said:
Should've opened your door... that would've taught 'em!
I know this was said in a sarcastic sense, but honestly, I think these squids deserve someone to open a door on them. People who do this stuff are asking for death. When they die I will not shed a tear for them, I will not feel remorseful for it either. The only way some people learn is for reality to slap the shit out of them. Honestly I don't wish they would die, but I wish they would get injuries that would not allow them to ride a motorcycle any more, because they do not belong one, PERIOD.

Now all the "bleeding heart" people can come on and say we are insensitive assholes for thinking this way, fine, if you ride that way, I hope you go down too. :angry

·
Registered
569 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I know this was said in a sarcastic sense, but honestly, I think these squids deserve someone to open a door on them. People who do this stuff are asking for death. When they die I will not shed a tear for them, I will not feel remorseful for it either. The only way some people learn is for reality to slap the shit out of them. Honestly I don't wish they would die, but I wish they would get injuries that would not allow them to ride a motorcycle any more, because they do not belong one, PERIOD.

Now all the "bleeding heart" people can come on and say we are insensitive assholes for thinking this way, fine, if you ride that way, I hope you go down too. :angry
Are you sure you live in Italy?

That very last line caused me to lose a bit of respect for you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
tiepilot1138 said:
So here I am, driving home with the kids from the Orioles game in Baltimore down 295 (the BW parkway) about 11 pm last night in fairly heavy traffic. We're moving pretty quick for after game traffic, maybe about 50-60 mph. I glance up in my mirror to see two ass-clowns splitting lanes doing at least 80-90. Tell me, do you morons really have someplace that important to be at 11pm, or do you just have a deathwish? My kids see this and say Wow, look at those stupid guys (9 and 10 years old), and ask if I ride like that. Nice example to set. I don't care if you retards wrap yourself around a tree, I won't lose a tear for you, but think about the kids in the backseat of the car you might plow into at those speeds. Take it to the track, or someone might just open a car door for you next time you're splitting...
Look, I feel your pain, but you gotta realized that squids, and dumb chit like this is going to be a part of our sport no matter what. What we gonna do, shoot the bastards?

This Sunday passed, I returned from riding the twistees down in Va ,with a group of VA riders. Nice ride,slow pace because it was a large group. Okay, get back home to the Baltimore area, and stopped at one of the local hang out spots at about 7pm. There were about 20 bikes minglling around. I asked what they were up to, and they said they were going to hit 95, 83, 100 or 295.. I said to myself "WTF".. first of all it is almost night time, what in the f--k you going to do on 95 that is exciting??? I hate that f--king road, and all the rest of those slabs. But, I have to take slabs to get to the twistees down in VA.

But, getting back to squids, just like there was evil people in this world when this world was created, there are evil people in this world now. They are not going anywhere. What can we do???? All we can do is to learn how to live with it. You get my point??

This is what I do.. I don't ride with them. At every chance I voiced my opinion to them. And when one of them tries to pass me in my lane with that dumb chit, I will call him, his mama, his papa some of the wosrt names in the book, and hope they don't like it.. :)

In the meantime, all we can do is stay out of their way.

One last example, pistol shooting use to my hobby, you know they got squids out there doing big time harm with pistols. Yeah, they made it bad for the law-abiding shooters, just like tailholes doing this chit, they make it bad for us, But, just like with the guns, what you gonna do? We got to live with it, and as responsible riders, set good examples ourselves..

Just the opinions of an old geezer..

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

·
Registered
569 Posts
tiepilot1138 said:
Had the kids not been in the car I would have seriously considered it...
Yeah, and that would make you worse than them. Your willingness to even consider manslaughter as a remedy to a traffic violation.

If you ever break any traffic laws of any sort I bet there's somebody out there whose seen you and felt the same way about you as you feel about the folks you're talking about in this thread. Somehow I sense a little pot-kettle-black action going on in here.

That said, I don't think lane splitting is wrong, at all. Perhaps they were going 10-15 mph too fast while doing it, but that certainly does not justify making a big deal out of it on a public message board.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mykl said:
Are you sure you live in Italy?

That very last line caused me to lose a bit of respect for you.
I don't understand exactly what that has to do with Italy. People do ride crazy here, but it's besides the point. Ok, maybe saying "I hope you go down" was a bad choice of words, but that's the only way squids seem to learn. I don't want anyone to die, but I do want them to quit making me look like a damned outlaw because of guilt by association.

I think if you get a ticket for doing 25+ over the speed limit on a motorcycle, they should take your license away for 6 months, period. Extreme? Yeah, but also needed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I don't understand exactly what that has to do with Italy. People do ride crazy here, but it's besides the point. Ok, maybe saying "I hope you go down" was a bad choice of words, but that's the only way squids seem to learn. I don't want anyone to die, but I do want them to quit making me look like a damned outlaw because of guilt by association.

I think if you get a ticket for doing 25+ over the speed limit on a motorcycle, they should take your license away for 6 months, period. Extreme? Yeah, but also needed.
Crazy? How is it crazy when it's considered normal by so many people?

I don't think there's anything wrong with 25+ over, I do it all the time... pretty much every time I get on the bike. But I'm not reckless, which is the key. People should be punished for recklessness, simply speeding is not reckless.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mykl said:
Crazy? How is it crazy when it's considered normal by so many people?

I don't think there's anything wrong with 25+ over, I do it all the time... pretty much every time I get on the bike. But I'm not reckless, which is the key. People should be punished for recklessness, simply speeding is not reckless.
I have to agree. Speed is not the issue. Someone doing 50 over the limit is probably not as dangerous as someone doing the speed limit and weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc.

We do need stiffer penalties for people stunting in traffic or riding too aggressively, but then we need these for people in their cages as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mykl said:
Yeah, and that would make you worse than them. Your willingness to even consider manslaughter as a remedy to a traffic violation.

If you ever break any traffic laws of any sort I bet there's somebody out there whose seen you and felt the same way about you as you feel about the folks you're talking about in this thread. Somehow I sense a little pot-kettle-black action going on in here.

That said, I don't think lane splitting is wrong, at all. Perhaps they were going 10-15 mph too fast while doing it, but that certainly does not justify making a big deal out of it on a public message board.
First off, you're the one who suggested it. I may have been a bit rash, but certainly don't want to kill anyone (maiming might be a bit different, but i'm not going to jail for that either). There isn't any pot-kettle-black, either, I don't ride like that. Like you, I like to go fast. It's not uncommon for me to be going 10-20 over the limit, if the conditions are safe enough. I would never even contemplate splitting at those speeds in thick traffic. IMHO, they were closer to 40-50 mph faster than safe for splitting. I'm not sure I agree with splitting at all in moving traffic, never really given much consideration to it, but this was pure recklessness and irresponsibility. I'm sure they didn't make anyone think "Wow, look at how cool those guys are!" From the way cars were swerving out of the way the general opinion was probably closer to "What an ass". When I ride I try to stay aware that there are people watching, and already think I'm reckless (by association). I try not to re-inforce that opinion. Like I said, there is a time and place for it, and late night traffic is definately not it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
tiepilot1138 said:
First off, you're the one who suggested it. I may have been a bit rash, but certainly don't want to kill anyone (maiming might be a bit different, but i'm not going to jail for that either). There isn't any pot-kettle-black, either, I don't ride like that. Like you, I like to go fast. It's not uncommon for me to be going 10-20 over the limit, if the conditions are safe enough. I would never even contemplate splitting at those speeds in thick traffic. IMHO, they were closer to 40-50 mph faster than safe for splitting. I'm not sure I agree with splitting at all in moving traffic, never really given much consideration to it, but this was pure recklessness and irresponsibility. I'm sure they didn't make anyone think "Wow, look at how cool those guys are!" From the way cars were swerving out of the way the general opinion was probably closer to "What an ass". When I ride I try to stay aware that there are people watching, and already think I'm reckless (by association). I try not to re-inforce that opinion. Like I said, there is a time and place for it, and late night traffic is definately not it.
I'll take your word for it, you were there and I wasn't. :dunno :)

Yeah, splitting lanes at about 50+ over the speed of traffic is pretty dumb.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mykl said:

First, lane splitting is illegal in MD and VA. Second, lane splitting (when it is legal and then only in CA) is only to be done in a "safe and prudent manner". Splitting cars at 80mph on an open Interstate does not qualify! For the record, I've seen squids do it here as well so I know what he is talking about.

Third, people see the bad and stupid stuff. Behavior like this gives a bad rap to ALL motorcyclists but specifically sportriders. Say one of these brainless idiots splitting a lane just happens to do so at the precise moment a car ahead opts to change lanes? 80mph rear-end collision that your kids get to witness. If they are typical squids (meaning helmet only), then you also get the wonderful bonus of watching a human being get torn apart by surfing the pavement at 70+ for a hundred feet or so. You get a half-dozen cagers witnessing that, all they remember is it was a motorcyclist, it was a racing machine and thus all racing machines are dangerous and something should be done about it. These same people probably have no problem driving 80mph down the same road but welcome to the double standard that is riding a motorcycle on the street.

Cagers never see or pay any mind to folks like me. I ride a sportbike, I ride in full gear (leathers or mesh + leather pants), I ride with the flow of traffic in the right lane. I do not stunt, squid out or do anything to paint a bullseye on myself for the cops or the cagers. But because I am under the radar, they pay no mind to me. But they will remember the idiots blasting by at 90+ in the right lane, T-shirts flapping the breeze and weaving in and out of traffic. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the cidar for everyone.

It is a big deal. The more these morons do stuff like this, the more attention that gets heaped on a minority of a minority and there is a lot more of the sheep in the world than there is of us! Less than 3% of the total US population rides. That means when we wind up with 97% of the population pissed at 10% of that 3%, they are going to win no matter how misinformed they are. Stereotypes and outlandish behavior will win out and when it does, we will all pay. All those cruiser riders who love loud pipes (and there are sportriders in that boat) are finding themselves getting banned from neighbourhoods for noise. Homeowner's Associations (which I compare to Nazis) banning bikes in their areas outright because of it!

I know tiepilot1138 personally. I understand the temptation but the act would never occur. The thought would cross my mind too. I hate seeing reckless and stupid behavior by all motorcyclists because it hurts all of us. If we could police our ranks and eject these idiots from the majority of us who just want to ride, we should. I only hope when I see such moronic activity that they do wrap themselves around a pole or tree, out of sight of innocents. No need to traumatize them. A close second is a State Trooper. Nothing more poetic than seeing a sportbiker in handcuffs on the side of the road getting what they deserve for being too stupid to know any better and giving all of us a bad name.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I Would Not Have Been Just Spilting Cars I Would Have Been Doing Stand Ups Through Them. And For The Person WHO Said I Should Have Opened The DoOR, You Need The Shit Beat Out Of You

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
KEVCBR97 said:
I Would Not Have Been Just Spilting Cars I Would Have Been Doing Stand Ups Through Them. And For The Person WHO Said I Should Have Opened The DoOR, You Need The Shit Beat Out Of You
so do you............./shrug

fyi, ever heard of www.stuntlife.com :cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
linuxbikr said:
First, lane splitting is illegal in MD and VA. Second, lane splitting (when it is legal and then only in CA) is only to be done in a "safe and prudent manner". Splitting cars at 80mph on an open Interstate does not qualify! For the record, I've seen squids do it here as well so I know what he is talking about.

Third, people see the bad and stupid stuff. Behavior like this gives a bad rap to ALL motorcyclists but specifically sportriders. Say one of these brainless idiots splitting a lane just happens to do so at the precise moment a car ahead opts to change lanes? 80mph rear-end collision that your kids get to witness. If they are typical squids (meaning helmet only), then you also get the wonderful bonus of watching a human being get torn apart by surfing the pavement at 70+ for a hundred feet or so. You get a half-dozen cagers witnessing that, all they remember is it was a motorcyclist, it was a racing machine and thus all racing machines are dangerous and something should be done about it. These same people probably have no problem driving 80mph down the same road but welcome to the double standard that is riding a motorcycle on the street.

Cagers never see or pay any mind to folks like me. I ride a sportbike, I ride in full gear (leathers or mesh + leather pants), I ride with the flow of traffic in the right lane. I do not stunt, squid out or do anything to paint a bullseye on myself for the cops or the cagers. But because I am under the radar, they pay no mind to me. But they will remember the idiots blasting by at 90+ in the right lane, T-shirts flapping the breeze and weaving in and out of traffic. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the cidar for everyone.

It is a big deal. The more these morons do stuff like this, the more attention that gets heaped on a minority of a minority and there is a lot more of the sheep in the world than there is of us! Less than 3% of the total US population rides. That means when we wind up with 97% of the population pissed at 10% of that 3%, they are going to win no matter how misinformed they are. Stereotypes and outlandish behavior will win out and when it does, we will all pay. All those cruiser riders who love loud pipes (and there are sportriders in that boat) are finding themselves getting banned from neighbourhoods for noise. Homeowner's Associations (which I compare to Nazis) banning bikes in their areas outright because of it!

I know tiepilot1138 personally. I understand the temptation but the act would never occur. The thought would cross my mind too. I hate seeing reckless and stupid behavior by all motorcyclists because it hurts all of us. If we could police our ranks and eject these idiots from the majority of us who just want to ride, we should. I only hope when I see such moronic activity that they do wrap themselves around a pole or tree, out of sight of innocents. No need to traumatize them. A close second is a State Trooper. Nothing more poetic than seeing a sportbiker in handcuffs on the side of the road getting what they deserve for being too stupid to know any better and giving all of us a bad name.
I think you're slightly paranoid. That post is a more intelligent version of the "OMG, Biker Boyz is going to raise my insurance rates!" posts.

Motorcycles aren't going anywhere. Even if there are a few really loud people out there who would have sport bikes eliminated doesn't mean there's actually enough of a push behind them to do anything.

I think we agree, recklessness is bad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
KEVCBR97 said:
Somebody slap me the next time I even think about defending a segment of the population that might include people like this guy.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
no but they can make them nearly impossible to insure, or much harder to access (tiered licensing) ask the folks in the UK........

·
Registered
569 Posts
RACER X said:
no but they can make them nearly impossible to insure, or much harder to access (tiered licensing) ask the folks in the UK........
Save money and pay cash. :dunno

Your insurance options become a lot easier to deal with at that point.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts