Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brief search (here and otherwise) turned up positive reviews on this helmet, but just in case there's an unturned stone on this I'm posting this thread anyway.

I'm gonna swing by a dealer today after work who stocks Shoei and get test fitted, but I generally wear XXL in other mainstream helmets. If all goes well I'm gonna place my order for a new black RF-1100 in whatever size I end up wearing from wherever I can get it cheapest (but $350-370 seems to be the norm).

The only thing I'm concerned about is that they off three different blacks; matte, metallic and just black. I want shiny, so definitely not matte black, but will just the standard black (and not the metallic black) suffice?

I didn't post this in the Riders Gear section mainly because there hasn't been a post there in three days, and only once since then. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Most people actually need 1 size smaller helmet than they think, so be very sure on size

Great helmet, superceded by the new RF1200 though

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Great helmets. I'm using an RF1000 myself and both my folks have the RF1100. A few things:

1) Don't buy a straight black helmet. It absorbs heat from the sun and on a bright, sunny, hot day your head will be roasting and it's unpleasant.

2) Good call on going to a store and test them for fit and comfort. Different helmets fit different shapes of head. You'll want to wear the helmet in the store for a good 20-30 minutes to see if it fits you properly; if discomfort/pressure points become noticeable during the testing phase the helmet is not for you.

3) The RF1100 has been in production for a good number of years (came out in 2009 I believe). As a result, check the date of manufacturer on the helmet you're looking to buy. This is normally found under the liner inside the helmet or on the inside of the chin. I recommend this because if you're at a dealer and they're selling them for a very good price, there is a chance that the helmets had been manufactured 1, 2, hell, 5 years ago and they're trying to offload their old stock. You want to buy a helmet that's been made in the past 6 months; not one made in 2010.

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound advice, thanks you two!

And I'm very aware of the RF-1200, but thank you nonetheless for mentioning it. I hope I actually do wear XXL in this particular helmet though, because they have my color in XXL for $279.99! They don't have gloss black in just XL however.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as happy as I am for it, I really didn't think the dealership would have exactly what I wanted in stock but they did! So, here's my new Shoei RF-1100 in black. I'll be ordering a dark smoke shield for it a little later.

Shoei RF-1100 by zacharyhisel.9623, on Flickr

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy had one and loved it. I would suggest trying to find one local you can try on to make sure you get the correct size.

I'm an Arai guy myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shoei has a new photochromatic shield.

Not sure if it fits this model, but I love the photochromatic on my Bell
Photochromic isn't for me. I do see the usefulness of it, but I prefer just a dark shield. I do absolutely no night riding, so running into visibility issues won't be a problem for me.

But just in case, I will keep my clear shield in my backpack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I absolutely love my rf-1100 (black hadron). I tried a lot of helmets on before actually buying, and the Shoei was by far the best fitting for me. The quality is excellent. Hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The RF1100 is an old helmet, and has been discontinued, but can be had for cheap (good value considering how awesome this lid is). The 1200 is out now, if you buy an 1100 inspect the date code on the inside before you purchase it. I've raced in the 1100 extensively, its a very good helmet (light weight, good sharp impact rating, vents well). Only thing i do not like is that the visor fogs like crazy unless you get the pinlock lens. Also, the helmet is a little loud compared to some other helmets (like SHARK). For this reason I highly recommend the 1200 since it comes with one, and shortly there will be a transitions visor that also is a pinlock available for the 1200. If you decide to get a 1200 instead, I suggest trying it on first because the fitment is different compared to the 1100.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Been running Shoeis for years. Ditto the fogging thing, it is a nuisance. Other than that the RF1100 is a lot of helmet for the money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts