Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently picked up a 05 R1. completely bone stock minus being lowered in the rear. i am wanting to extend it but was reading that i should buy a whole swing arm instead of just extensions.

how necessary is this, or will the extensions be suitable? i don't ever road course the bike, and will very rarely drag the bike.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you're not going to be hitting the drag strip why do you want to extend it? If you're just riding the street why would you want to kill the amazing handling? I'm just curious as I don't understand the point of extending a sportbike for street use. Now to your questions: If you're going to leave the rear lowered(I don't advise it) you will want to lower the front as well to at least aleviate how ridiculously the bike probably handles by a little bit. How much are you looking to extend? Extensions work fine but if you are going to go some ridiculous amount you might want to look into a full swing arm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're not going to be hitting the drag strip why do you want to extend it? If you're just riding the street why would you want to kill the amazing handling? I'm just curious as I don't understand the point of extending a sportbike for street use. Now to your questions: If you're going to leave the rear lowered(I don't advise it) you will want to lower the front as well to at least aleviate how ridiculously the bike probably handles by a little bit. How much are you looking to extend? Extensions work fine but if you are going to go some ridiculous amount you might want to look into a full swing arm.
well, i will drag it more often then i track it. as far as handeling, i am not out to drag my knee around corners. honestly i just have an addiction for speed and nothing more. so i am wanting to extend it so i can just crack the throttle wide open with out have to worry about wheelies as much.

i will take your advice and drop the front a little bit via raising the forks.

i don't want to extend anything crazy amount. im thinking 4-6" but no more then 6" ever.

·
Registered
638 Posts
well, i will drag it more often then i track it. as far as handeling, i am not out to drag my knee around corners. honestly i just have an addiction for speed and nothing more. so i am wanting to extend it so i can just crack the throttle wide open with out have to worry about wheelies as much.

i will take your advice and drop the front a little bit via raising the forks.

i don't want to extend anything crazy amount. im thinking 4-6" but no more then 6" ever.
One of my buddies old bike had I think a 6 over extension when he bought it, just using the extenders and they worked just fine

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You realize that with an extension of the swingarm (or a longer swingarm) you have a much higher likelihood of spinning the rear wheel when you "crack the throttle"... Right? That makes for a pucker-factor if you're not used to it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts