Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just made the move down to Austin (Cedar park actually) 4 months or so ago. Picked up a bike and now things are settling down some, it's time to go exploring the area.

I'm always looking for new people to ride with, go do a couple of hours in a direction, get some lunch and find some great twisties. Anybody ever wants to meet up and ride, need an extra set of hands/eyes to wrench or just give suggestions on roads/places to go, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Let me know! There's a bunch of great people here that ride, and I know of a few in CP. Also, if you're ever interested in riding the track I'm riding more track and less street now.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
My parents just moved to Cedar Park a couple months ago. I'll be down there next week for spring break, but won't have my bike. I'll probably just borrow my dad's cruiser and ride around Lake Travis. I heard there are some nice roads in that area.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Most certainly. I may have my bike back by then, so let me know if you're up for a ride (should be getting it back Thursday). I'm free a few days, but I'll be working most. I will gladly show you guys around!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I think the best day for me is either Wednesday or Thursday, I know for certain I'm working Monday and Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lived in Austin for 5 years and learned to ride a motorcycle there. There are some nice twisties, Lime Creek in particular around the lake for the tight stuff. Did the "4 water crossings" ride on motowhere.com almost weekly for a while. Good stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depends on what you like. Lime Creek is excellent technical and tight stuff with elevation changes. I like that. Just sucks the road is blind and in a residential area. It's one to ride with more caution that's for sure. I used to ride with some guys in ATX and they'd average 100-130mph in the sweepers up towards Marble Falls and SW Austin near Boerne. That can be fun, but not my cup-o-tea on the street. Like I said, the 4 water crossings is a fun ride for high and low speed stuff.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Lime Creek is excellent technical and tight stuff with elevation changes.
nice, that's the kinda stuff I like. won't be very fun on a cruiser though :(

I used to ride with some guys in ATX and they'd average 100-130mph in the sweepers
sounds like the type of riding we had northwest of Dallas; long sweepers with long lines of sight. lots of fun but if something goes wrong you're screwed!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Meh, I still hold Lime Creek is more dangerous than anything. There are much better roads with tight stuff and elevation changes where you don't have to worry about people crossing the double yellow in the turns which happens way too frequently. I had a school bus drift the rear end into my lane on that road. It is way too dangerous. I like to save my technical and tight stuff for the track :D

As far as the road to Marble Falls, you're talking about 1431. It is a fun road, but lots of cops frequent it. 100-130 is actually kind of slow. Me and my friends have been known to go about 150 down 1431.

If you come with us I can show you some more roads that are just an absolute hoot! DW, PR4, Hamilton Pool Area, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds great! We'll have to meet up sometime next week and ride a bit. And yeah I take anderson mill to and from work every day, so when it's nice out and i have an extra 25 minutes I like to do lime creek on the way home. You're right though, not a road to get too frisky on. I've had a few 'close calls' with cars, and once, a bike swinging wide on some of those tight, slow corners. I just take it pretty easy on there. I've ridden PR4 too, that is a really cool road.

I'll start researching roads in the area and throwing up suggestions, hopefully we'll figure something out.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Sounds good, like I said, Wednesday works best for me. I may be 2-up so won't be going too fast for those of you on cruisers :p

PR4 is nice, still not my favorite. I have one road I constantly run back and forth. But I don't share it on the internet, you have to ride with me there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As far as the road to Marble Falls, you're talking about 1431. It is a fun road, but lots of cops frequent it. 100-130 is actually kind of slow. Me and my friends have been known to go about 150 down 1431.

If you come with us I can show you some more roads that are just an absolute hoot! DW, PR4, Hamilton Pool Area, etc.
That's why I stopped riding with them. I value my life and wallet more than farting around at 130mph on the street.

1431 is fun, WAY better than stuff here in Houston, but still kinda boring for the area because of the cops and mostly gentle sweepers. I've ridden pretty much all of those roads, definitely a blast! Once took my 929 for a nice ride then hit up the Hamilton Pool area for a nice chilly swim. Man I miss Austin.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Haha, exactly. I can carry 150, but usually don't do more than 100 now.

Haha 1431 is a decent road around my group I ride with, but nothing special. Hamilton pool is nice, I need to actually stop at the water haha.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I've been wanting to visit Hamilton pool for about 5 years. Since the first time I visited Austin. Sadly every time I was here for work or to visit friends, the place was shut down because of water quality/safety issues. So I know i'll be going up there in the near future :)

And sounds good about the ride. I get out of work at 5pm. Hope the road isn't too far away, otherwise we'll have to make plans for a weekend ride sometime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good. Even if it's not this next week, we'll have to get together and carve some roads sometime. I know i'll be around wed/thurs after 5pm, just let me know if you're gonna be out somewhere.

And yeah, i'm not much for riding 120+. I haven't even topped out the bike yet and i've had it for 2 months. That being said, i'm in a town I don't know particularly well, so it's too risky to try something like 160mph (or more, i dunno) on a road i don't know too well. That and my bike is my daily rider too. If i had other transportation I could justify dragging knees and riding on the edge, but I need it for work!

And track days sound awesome. I'd love to even just go to one and check it out from the pits. But while I need the bike every day, I can't afford to track it. I do have all the gear (minus full gauntlet gloves) already though. So maybe an old f2 or FZR6 will show up for $500 that I can turn into a track bike.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It isn't far at all from CP, I may go riding earlier though if HiSpeed wants to :p
wednesday works for me, i'm on vacation :beach

i'll pm you my phone#

now I just need to decide whether I should bring my new helmet down, or use one of my old helmets. I kinda wish I had one of those open-face cruiser helmets, so I could be a bad-ass lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts