Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, the weather was pretty nice, and I had an hour to kill while I was waiting for a friend to drop in, so I decided to clean up the bike a little.

I put on a bit of chain wax, did a little soap and water, etc. I also put a little tire shine on the side walls of the tires (not in the middle of the tread). I never tried tire shine before for my bike, because I never really thought it was that good of an idea. When I took the bike out later this afternoon, I naturally took it really easy with leaning/ speed. Surprisingly, the tire shine didn't feel that slick.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Or do you guys just avoid tire shine altogether?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Get caught in the rain with that stuff on there and it's going to the middle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No joke, just put some tire shine on the sides, not in the actual tread path. I was just curious, really, I realize that tire shine is pointless.

Boredom :cheers:

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
But really,I know people on the VTX board that did what you did and got caught in the rain.............it's slick to say the least.

·
Registered
488 Posts
uhhh. im not sure how to take this thread.. thats like dumping oil on your tires.. durrr...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should clarify, it wasn't tire shine, it was the tire-foam cleaning stuff. In any case, I took it easy for about 10 mi. and it rubbed off pretty quickly.

As for getting caught in the rain, I'll try to look out for that. Thanks Cajun. I try not to ride in the rain in any case :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The best way to clean you tires is with simple green or 409.That will cut the greese and oil and clean it as best as you need it to be cleaned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I put nothing on my tires beside soad and water. That tire shine/foam stuff CAN put you down either on a dry or rainy day. TAKE IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
njdjh2o said:
I put nothing on my tires beside soad and water. That tire shine/foam stuff CAN put you down either on a dry or rainy day. TAKE IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

+1

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sebula said:
No joke, just put some tire shine on the sides, not in the actual tread path. I was just curious, really, I realize that tire shine is pointless.

Boredom :cheers:
Dude, never put that on your tires. Get some soap and water and scrub all that off of your tires before you wreck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sebula said:
I guess I should clarify, it wasn't tire shine, it was the tire-foam cleaning stuff. In any case, I took it easy for about 10 mi. and it rubbed off pretty quickly.

As for getting caught in the rain, I'll try to look out for that. Thanks Cajun. I try not to ride in the rain in any case :)
glad you cleared that up... I was thinking you were taling about that silicone spray. I would NEVER use that on my bike. On a car it's okay because you never use the sidewalls on the road surface, but it's basically a lurbicant.
On a bike (theoretically) you use the whole tire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dad put that on the side of a nearly new valkyrie tire a week before he brought it to the dealer to get inspected. The dealer failed it because it had developed small cracks in the sidewall. The dealer attributed this to the tire shine and says it happens all the time. If you look on the back of most of them it says not to use on motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going out with some soap and water, thanks for the advice. And yeah, it's not the silicone based tire shine, I know better than that :)

Anyway, thanks for the input

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you want to get that junk off I'd use simple green. It is a safe alternative cleaner to use that acts like an engine degreaser and leave no residue. I would go ahead and use it and a tire brush to get that stuff off. Because I think that is the type of stuff that will cause your tire to "brown". For the future I'd use the simple green to keep the tire stock black. But never put stuff on your tires again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
njdjh2o said:
+++++1 TAKE IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..... I was stupid 5 or 6 years ago and did the same thing with ArmorAll sp?? and waited for the stuff to COMPLETELY DRY... took the bike out and the centrifical force slung the stuff into the tread pattern..... that's when shit got REAL interesting, slipped and slid thru EVERY corner, almost crashed 5 or 6 times in ONE day... the next thing I knew I was home scrubbing that shit off with a steel brush.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
+1...

I found that even being a little careless with the WD-40 and getting a very small amount on the side-walls caused some steering difficulties once things got going or got a little damp. Very careful with anything around the tires now, and stopped using WD-40 to clean my rims completely ... picked up Simple Green, I'll see how well that works on the rims and tires (and everything else but the plastics, it seems, for that matter).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts