Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of my MSF right now and since I'm just learning, everything I hear is a NORM for me. What about those experienced riders, that took the course after riding for some time? What was that "one" thing that was like WOW for you?

A friend of mine locked his front wheel in a turn (15mph).... high side :flipa I was like: "Now you see why I brought my gear to this class!" :spank

I locked mine up once (while practicing Fast stop w. front brake only), but I just skid to a halt :alky

I'm taking notes of every exercise we do, so I can practice by myself and maybe hook some people up with them

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no-one ever learned anything new?

So, why why does everyone say that MSF is the best thing out there? If you haven't learned anything, it means that you already knew all of it?!?

·
Registered
157 Posts
i was in the same boat as you, learning to ride during the course. There was also a guy in my class who locked up the front brake and crashed during the final test :spank and he had been riding for over 7 years prior. They failed him, but gave him a second chance to come back after his dislocated shoulder healed. so I guess the old saying is true... it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
don't Pre-Judge because no one answer your post.
I am not an expert rider so I did not answer it.
But I will tell you what I had learned.
I had learned what to do in an emergency,
If I lock it up what to do because the front and the back are different.
And I learned Control, the figure 8. That take some some beginner skill.
I never understood why I would need it, But I found out in the real world why.

I have been riding for about 1 and 1/2 years, I am not experienced but
as for no one answering, I figure I would give you my opinion.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Most experienced riders in my classes are very poor at quick stops and slow speed riding. They learn what they are doing wrong that prevents them from stopping in a short distance and how to use the clutch to control the bike at slow speeds (not their flapping knees).

·
Registered
321 Posts
evil girl said:
so I guess the old saying is true... it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
No it is not true!! :) All old dogs are not alike! :)

The old saying of.... what goes up, must come down, was thought to be true at one time too!! :)

The trick is not to have a closed mind.

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got home with a freshly laminated MSF certificate. CAn't wait to go to DPS tomorrow and get a license

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I took the course 12 or so years ago and I still use what I learned in that class. I had ridden maybe 5K miles or so but I did learn some moderate countersteering techniaues, hard braking techniques, etc plus I learned more statistical info. Its an excellent basic learning tool. And after youve been riding for a bit you'll be able to spot those that either didn't take the class or didnt pay attn in class. I also think people should be forced to watch movies of people in accidents w/o wearing propoer gear. Like in drivers ed-"blood on the hwy".

·
Registered
143 Posts
I only had about 1500 miles under my belt when I took the class....Definately picked up some pointers on slow speed riding and cornering (I tended to look down instead of ahead)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Never took the course. I got my first bike when I was 13. It is a much different environment these days. Back then it seemed like every teenage boy had a dirt bike before he got a streetbike, so street riding was pretty much natural. I am planning on going the the Kevin Schwantz school this fall and I am sure I will learn a ton of techniques then!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been riding for 20 yrs and don't feel the need to take it.

My wife took it and got her license 2 yrs ago, and of the 3 bikes she's ridden, I've taken her to the parking lot to practice those drills they teach....she's getting better each time out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Helped me to become more aware of some bad habits I had acquired.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I learned that it's near bloody impossible to get a spot in one of the classes in the first place... at least around here. :nutkick

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took MSF ERC (Experienced Rider Course) after I had been riding for about 6 months.

It was definitely helpful and interesting, but by the same token, it teaches the basics of riding. Nothing magic happens after you complete the course. It's more like a starting point in long term improvements.

BTW, I still disagree on their position regarding use of rear brake.

I guess I understand their position which is: if everyone nails down the basics, we all as a group will be much better off, and if someone wants to do more advanced stuff, they will learn at proper track schools, etc.

Keith Code's TOTW-2 had much more impact on my riding than MSF ERC.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
I took the MSF course about 6 yrs. ago. And took the ARC, about 2 years ago. What I learned was: There are a lot of people who have no business on a bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts