Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a zzr600 that I'm thinking about buying. The original owner replaced the stock exhaust with a full D&D exhaust. I have two questions:
1. Are there any internals like catalytic converters etc in the stock pipe but not in the muffler can? I saw someone make this claim somewhere on the internet and I don't believe it but. . .
2. What is the outer diameter of the exhaust pipe right before the exhaust can?
I want this bike but I don't like D&D. If I bought it I would eventually like to saw off the D&D can and install a Yoshi or a TBR. The problem I have is all the recommended replacement exhaust cans are made to fit on the stock pipe.
The stock manifold and mid-pipe costs 700ish. Geez if the guy wanted to "upgrade" to a D&D why didn't he just frickin bolt one on?
Thanks in advance,
DJM

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I hate D&D pipes, for some reason they seem to be louder than a straight pipe. I think your best bet would be to try to swap the exhaust for someone elses stock exhaust, and keep looking on model specific forums. I can get OEM full exhaust systems for my GSX-R 600 for less than $200 on e-bay.

Look at what I found:

zzr 600 exhaust | eBay

You'd be just a slip on away from having the exhaust you want.

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's bad about D&D? If it's too loud, is the packing ok? Does it have a db killer in it?
The general consensus on this and some other forums is that D&D exhausts are not the best choice and are bought by squid types to maximize decibels. However, after listening to the bike run it didn't seem overly loud to me. Still I'll probably replace it eventually (yes I am buying the bike) after tires and frame sliders. Also, I see in the service manual that there are indeed pre-catalytic converters in the mid pipe on the standard exhaust.
DJM

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally think the D&D stainless pipes are ugly, but I do like the carbon pipes. If your not upset about down grading...I would sell the full D&D, purchase a factory headpipe and a yoshi rs3 slipon...which is pretty much what Todd was getting at I believe...lol

Also, from what I understand...the 636 header bolts up to the zzr with just a slight need of bending off the oil pan...another option which will give you some different options on cans

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my plan

I personally think the D&D stainless pipes are ugly, but I do like the carbon pipes. If your not upset about down grading...I would sell the full D&D, purchase a factory headpipe and a yoshi rs3 slipon...which is pretty much what Todd was getting at I believe...lol

Also, from what I understand...the 636 header bolts up to the zzr with just a slight need of bending off the oil pan...another option which will give you some different options on cans
Thanks guys, yeah it looks like stock headers and midpipe are very common on ebay for short money and I can probably sell the exhaust I have and not have to spend too much to get what I want (yosh or 2BR). My main problem now is getting the bike from the seller. When I went and looked at it it was 40 degrees and now there is 4 inches of snow on the ground and more coming this week.
DJM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah it looks like stock headers and midpipe are very common on ebay for short money and I can probably sell the exhaust I have and not have to spend too much to get what I want (yosh or 2BR). My main problem now is getting the bike from the seller. When I went and looked at it it was 40 degrees and now there is 4 inches of snow on the ground and more coming this week.
DJM

yeah I imagine that would cause some issues. Did you get to at least give the bike a run down? Hear it run, check the vin etc etc.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
DJM
Got a friend with a pick-up? U-Haul rents trailers designed for hauling motercycles for 66US$, at least down here. A friend with a pick-up generally goes for a 6 pack + gas. Down here. YMMV. I always do that. I have had real bad luck with riding a motorcycle I just bought back home. Wrecked several. Since you are going to need a ride there anyway........:loller

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gambling

yeah I imagine that would cause some issues. Did you get to at least give the bike a run down? Hear it run, check the vin etc etc.
I heard it run, but didn't ride it. Gave the vin to the bank I'm getting financing for the bike.

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a friend with a pick-up? U-Haul rents trailers designed for hauling motercycles for 66US$, at least down here. A friend with a pick-up generally goes for a 6 pack + gas. Down here. YMMV. I always do that. I have had real bad luck with riding a motorcycle I just bought back home. Wrecked several. Since you are going to need a ride there anyway........:loller
Actually I have a trailer set up for a motorcycle and a hitch on my HHR chevy.
I'm worried about getting the bike safely on and off of the trailer and into my basement where I can start getting her ready for spring. Plus I'll have to clear the snow off the trailer and from around the trailer where I've kind of piled it up while sno-blowing the driveway. I'm hoping for a second January thaw in the next couple of weeks but this coming weekend won't be it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm worried about getting the bike safely on and off of the trailer and into my basement where I can start getting her ready for spring. Plus I'll have to clear the snow off the trailer and from around the trailer where I've kind of piled it up while sno-blowing the driveway. I'm hoping for a second January thaw in the next couple of weeks but this coming weekend won't be it.
I got the thaw instead of you. It's 74 F on the stoop and as soon as Bubba gets here, we are gonna go fool around on our 2 wheeled death machines.:lala

·
Registered
7 Posts

heres a picture of the night I bought my zzr 600. Towed it home with my Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 V6. She hauls very nicely up to 3,000 pounds. Trailer is a kit trailer 4x8 with a motorcycle dolly bolted to the floor and weighs roughly 400 lbs...close to 1000 pounds with bike and accessories on it.

I also use the ramp to put the bike on my deck...ha

When I take it to the track and need to unload it or load it, I use a 2"x12"x8* board as a ramp leaning onto the back of the trailer. I will than pound a screw driver into the grass to keep the board from sliding backwards. This has worked very well and I have done it all alone multiple times. The bottom fairing will bottom out easily with anything shorter than my 8* ramp. The trailer attached is 24" off of the ground

Attachments

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still don't have the bike. There's a problem with the title bc somebody checked the box saying odometer reading not correct . Meantime now I think "full exhaust" really is just a bolt on after talking to d&d. That would be good for me. Can't wait to getting hands on the thing to start fixing it up a bit. Got a set of new tires sitting in my living room.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts