Sport Bikes banner

Exhaust Preference

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you like/have on your bike or wish you had? :)

I'm in the market for a new exhaust for my '01 F4i and I need some opinions...

What Im wanting out of the exhaust:

1) Maybe a horse or two
2) More "throaty" sound - hollow race sound I guess
3) Not too raspy, but not too deep

Help a man out! :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know people on here don't generally like the D&D can. My Fizzer came with a D&D and I kinda like it. I only have the Vance and Hines pipe to compare it to, but I think the Vance can was WAY louder. I prefer the D&D to the Vance can. Ya it screams at higher rpm's but I like a louder bike that can be HEARD and seen. Some sportbikes I've seen on the highway are so quiet that with the windows up I can't even hear them while I'm driving right next to them. A louder pipe will increase your visibility to other cars.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I like Akrapovic. My exhaust is stock for now, but when i buy one it's going to be an Akrapovic. So far ive heard nothin but good things about them. All the D & D's i heard have been way to loud, and it's not what i would call a good loud either. My buddy had a Yoshi on his zx7 and it sounded good to.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a Vance & Hines pipe and I love it. It is not too loud and has a prefect throaty sound to it. The muffler is also narrower than a normal pipe (it isn't really wide or fat like the others).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I voted other. I really don't like having the same as everboby else. My past two pipes (2 bikes) have been Blue Flame. They are well made and sound good on either V-twins(SV) or an I-4(F4i). When I was shopping for pipes I looked in Euro mags. They seem to have way cooler bits for the bike also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Two Brothers C2 Ti on my 636 and love it. The build quality is very good and the price is not that bad compared to some others. The tone is deep and throaty at idle and lower rpms, but it absolutely howls in the upper rpms. It sounds like a beast. It is one of the best sounding exhausts I have heard, IMO. My bike dynoed 110.5 hp SAE on a Dynojet with just the slip-on. 92¼ ambient temperature with no ram-air effect.

If money is not an issue, Akrapovich.

·
Banned
730 Posts
My bike came w/ a Vance & Hines system (about all that's left for my ride), but my next bike will get an Akrapovic. They are usually the lightest, quietest and produce as much or more power than the other brands. Not the cheapest, but then again, D&D is and I've yet to read one good thing about them that doesn't relate to price (loud and no power gains).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I chose a Micron oval in carbon when I was shopping for a slipon.. I found and downloaded about 8-10 soundfiles with my bike and different slipons and the Micron sounded best. Plus, it's maintenance-friendly if you need to replace the muffler fiber.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I went from the stock can- sounded like a blender- to a V&H S4 aluminum.
The S4 is louder, but not obnoxious. It added alot of bass sound to the bike but with a crisp high and mid punch. Sounds great except for a slight rattle at WOT.
The build was great, all the parts in the kit worked fine. Overall I'm totally satisfied with the V&H.
I like the angle it sits at better and the faux double exhaust tip is different. Obviously, no power gain was expected and none was found. Although the motor does seem to spin up a bit faster with less restriction, and the hesitation off low RPM is reduced, but with carbs, you can't expect it to be eliminated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bluevfr said:
I chose a Micron oval in carbon when I was shopping for a slipon.. I found and downloaded about 8-10 soundfiles with my bike and different slipons and the Micron sounded best. Plus, it's maintenance-friendly if you need to replace the muffler fiber.
where did you find the soundclips? Micron website?

·
Banned
912 Posts
bluevfr said:
Dam right they sound good!

Attachments

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Akrapovic...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Devil. all the devil pipes ive heard have sounded very good(including mine) and i think they are good for a few HP as well. a good quality pipe

·
Registered
389 Posts
mtnryder said:
where did you find the soundclips? Micron website?
Nah, I collected them through VFR forums and mailing lists, they also kept showing up in online reviews I'd find in some search results. I don't have anyone left, but I kept the micron one because the V4 growl + the camgear whine reminds me of the good old days when it's knee-deep snow outside..
Most sounds I found were like this one

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Head to your local B&N and pick up the latest sportrider magazine. It has a comparo of like 30 or 40 exhausts and could give you some insight on the best one for you.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a Wiley-Co Racing muffler on mine. Not a lot of people have heard of it, but it sounds really good, looks pretty good, and is built very well. Not to mention it was fairly inexpensive. I don't know, nor do I care, about the performance gains I did or didn't get from it. It's only a slip on, so any gain would be good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts