Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about gettin a 250 not sure though. But. Want people to be able to hear me a little better. And sounds cool but is it worth it for a 250?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thinking about gettin a 250 not sure though. But. Want people to be able to hear me a little better. And sounds cool but is it worth it for a 250?
Friend of mine has a new-gen 250 with a carbon fiber Danmoto GP. Thing is fricken LOUD. I'd say the actual sound is a little better than stock, but it's a preference thing. I think you can get a baffle for it though. Probably would be a good idea.

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
A 250 with a slip on can sound meaner than a stock 1000. My wife purchased her's used and it came with a Vance and Hines CS One slip on. It made my at the time stock S1000RR sound like a scooter in comparison and I'm not exaggerating. After I heard it in person I ran out and purchased a full exhaust for the S1000RR. You can find slip ons for less than $300 on forums and such.

IMAG0056.jpg

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yea if I do settle for a 250 I just want to be heard and seen a tiny bit more
Then don't get a motorcycle as you are invisible. Fire trucks with a front facing 130db siren, flashing lights and air horn are frequently not seen/heard. Learn to ride defensively and read traffic.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Then don't get a motorcycle as you are invisible. Fire trucks with a front facing 130db siren, flashing lights and air horn are frequently not seen/heard. Learn to ride defensively and read traffic.

Absolutely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I am converting my 250 to another track day toy.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I agree in that you shouldnt rely on an exhaust to be heard. But if you want one for sound the competition werkes exhaust makes it sound very mean

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Put a Supertrapp on it...make it as loud or quiet as you want.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your concern is being noticed, forget about the loud pipe. The noise is directed to the rear, which isn't where most collisions come from, and all you'll be doing is pissing people off.

Wear bright colors when you ride. Avoid black. If you ride in urban areas you also want to avoid gray, and if you're in wooded or landscaped areas, you want to avoid dark green or camouflage.

A lot of riding gear comes with reflective piping. You can also pick up reflective tape at Wal-Mart, etc., and put it on your helmet and the bike.

My daily riding jacket is a red Aerostich Darien that has lots of reflective material, but if I'm wearing my leather one-piece I will bring my hi-viz safety vest from work so I can throw it on if I'm out after dark on poorly lit roads. But even with this, I always follow the rule of assuming that nobody sees me, and if they do see me they'll try to hit me. Defensive riding and anticipating situations before they develop is what will keep you safe.

If you're just doing this because you don't like the sound of a stock pipe, it's really a matter of preference. Some pipes are just loud, but others give a deeper sound at idle.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Aye, P-Twins sound like frantic, v-twins. (Of course.) Pretty mean sounding...
And at 60 kph(38mph) at 10 000rpm you'll be sure to annoy everyone how long do you intend to keep it? If its a just while I get the hang of this motorcycling thing don't bother buy a better helmet or jacket or do a MSF course if you haven't already.

We go through this regularly with a tiered licensing system fortunately most of the CBR250RR's are dead by now and Honda mercifully has not bothered to make anymore.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My 250 is loud as a full blown MX bike and I still have people merge into me etc...
It does have one big upside though, no one tailgates me. My exhaust intrudes into their radio listening or cell phone conversation. If they do get up on me I downshift a gear and let it scream till they back up (mostly 2 lanes around here).
The idle from a distance sounds true to life, but when close and revved the sound over powers the mic on my phone, so this is more like what they sound like inside the helmet with ear plugs in. Anyhow, this is what the singles sound like with an exhaust. The honda baby sport bike would sound about the same, if a bit less aggressive due to a milder engine design.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have no problem about people spending on a nice sounding exhaust, but have no illusion on it being a safety feature. If you want to be heard, get a louder horn.

·
Registered
848 Posts
yep, loud pipes don't do much except to stroke a person's ego when cruising through town. otherwise it just pisses tons of people. i had a race pipe on my 04 (since i had been track whoring) and i dreaded riding through base housing cause there was sure to be someone that got annoyed and could have called it in to the po-po. luckily, never happened, but still.

what's amazing to me is that people will call in sportbikes with aftermarket stuff, but not even bat an eye when a cruiser goes on by with open pipes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Most power gains ona 250 are made through jetting and intake mods(pod filters) Exhaust is good for losing weight. When shopping for an after market exhaust I have three main criteria looks/quietness/weight....power is usually last....unless it COSTS power over stock. I'm a street rider mainly though.

said I ahve a race setup on my 250. pod filters, jet kit and a Kerker FULL exhaust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts