Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have excessive vibration on their bikes? Mine gives a steady buzz at any speeds at 80mph+. It is really quite annoying. I have read it can be anything from broken/loose exhaust, to worn out chain/sprockets, to loose motor mounts. I have checked all those things, but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stone

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, it is not "bouncey". It just has a strong buzzing over 80mph. It has been doing it for years, but this year it really has been annoying me. Tonight I noticed a few bolts on the bike were loose after last nights ride. Gotta be from the vibrations.

How is yours above 80mph? Do you feel any buzzing vibration through the pegs?

Stone

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Yeah I get a funny vibration around the tank area around the bottom near where the seat it, and my clip ons, but I get it at all speeds. I have done all the checks too and nothing...dunno bro, If I find out something I will let you know.

·
Banned
101 Posts
How is yours above 80mph? Do you feel any buzzing vibration through the pegs?

Hmmm, mine seems fine over 80. Sure it has a buzz to it, but nothing I would call remarkable. I mean, how much buzz are you talking about? Sometimes, after long highway rides, I'll notice my hands feel a little weird due to the buzzing, but then again, to me, it's a light buzzing, and has been precisely the same since day 1, 0 miles (at 19.5k now). Nothing to note with respect to the pegs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine is very smooth (IMHO). It gets buzzy when speeds hit 100+, but nothing out of the oridinary or unacceptable.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beanhead said:
Hmmm, mine seems fine over 80. Sure it has a buzz to it, but nothing I would call remarkable. I mean, how much buzz are you talking about? Sometimes, after long highway rides, I'll notice my hands feel a little weird due to the buzzing, but then again, to me, it's a light buzzing, and has been precisely the same since day 1, 0 miles (at 19.5k now). Nothing to note with respect to the pegs.

Don't get my wrong... It is just a steady buzz (like a vibrator :) ), not like a Harley buzz. I think my bike has been "buzzy" since day one too. I notice a buzz through the pegs on my bike moreso than the clipons. It just seems very pronounced this year. Like I said, insomuch that my exhaust canister mounting bolt was getting loose the other night and my front fairing mounts (both sides) were loose. But, I am starting to think the front fairing might be getting loose because I have been riding around all summer with the lowers off. There is nothing down below to keep the top/front fairing from 'flopping in the breeze' so to speak. Follow me?

I also checked out my exhaust after last fall's lowside. I cannot find any cracks or broken pieces.

I am at my whits end to think what is causing the vibration. I have ridden other bikes before (929 and Gixxer 1000) and they are not like this. I wish I could find someone with a ZX-7R around for me to ride.....

Someone once told me going -1 in front might cause the vibrations....I am thinking of going back to the stock gearing on my next sprocket/chain replacement.

Stone

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switchgear fix?

kawagirl said:
Yeah I get a funny vibration around the tank area around the bottom near where the seat it, and my clip ons, but I get it at all speeds. I have done all the checks too and nothing...dunno bro, If I find out something I will let you know.

Kawagirl,

Have you attempted the throttle switch fix yet? How did you make out?

Stone

·
Banned
101 Posts
Stonecoldchavez said:
Don't get my wrong... It is just a steady buzz (like a vibrator :) ), not like a Harley buzz. I think my bike has been "buzzy" since day one too. I notice a buzz through the pegs on my bike moreso than the clipons. It just seems very pronounced this year. Like I said, insomuch that my exhaust canister mounting bolt was getting loose the other night and my front fairing mounts (both sides) were loose. But, I am starting to think the front fairing might be getting loose because I have been riding around all summer with the lowers off. There is nothing down below to keep the top/front fairing from 'flopping in the breeze' so to speak. Follow me?

I also checked out my exhaust after last fall's lowside. I cannot find any cracks or broken pieces.

I am at my whits end to think what is causing the vibration. I have ridden other bikes before (929 and Gixxer 1000) and they are not like this. I wish I could find someone with a ZX-7R around for me to ride.....

Someone once told me going -1 in front might cause the vibrations....I am thinking of going back to the stock gearing on my next sprocket/chain replacement.

Stone
I took my bike out for a ride tonight, and specifically paid attention to the buzzing. I swear the buzz is the same at 30mph as it is past 80 (to a point, get past 110 and the buzz is greater, but only to a point). It's really, really, hard to differentiate. The only time I noticed the "buzz" increase, was if I was low on the rpm's, for example (arbitrary as I didn't look at my gauges (I know, I know...)), 6th gear at like 4K rpms, or something similar.

Another thought occurred to me, are your carbs in synch? I'll bet the 929 and 1K gixxer are fuel injected, and that probably results in a much smoother ride simply due to the precision of fuel delivery.

Now I'm curious, and kind of wish I could take YOUR bike for a ride just to feel what you're talking about! :lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tire balance is a big culprit, I have a twin with 2 plugs per cylinder, One plug wire was not on the spark plug from the dealer when I got the thing shipped to me, didn't think much of the vibration(didn't know better, my first v-twin they are not as smooth as a 4 banger anyways) So, I did the 600 mile valve check and seen the boot was laying wedged between the frame and the engine, super smooth after that, around 6000 miles vibes are slowly coming back, spark plug change and back to smoothness again.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Stonecoldchavez said:
Kawagirl,

Have you attempted the throttle switch fix yet? How did you make out?

Stone
Yep just undid the starter assembly, took a little sand papter to the connectors to get rid of the carbon and she is as right as rain. That site you gave me was right on time, thanks.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beanhead said:
I took my bike out for a ride tonight, and specifically paid attention to the buzzing. I swear the buzz is the same at 30mph as it is past 80 (to a point, get past 110 and the buzz is greater, but only to a point). It's really, really, hard to differentiate. The only time I noticed the "buzz" increase, was if I was low on the rpm's, for example (arbitrary as I didn't look at my gauges (I know, I know...)), 6th gear at like 4K rpms, or something similar.

Another thought occurred to me, are your carbs in synch? I'll bet the 929 and 1K gixxer are fuel injected, and that probably results in a much smoother ride simply due to the precision of fuel delivery.

Now I'm curious, and kind of wish I could take YOUR bike for a ride just to feel what you're talking about! :lol

Good point. Yes, the Gixxer and 929 were fuel injected.

The vibes are more pronounced above 80mph in top gear. At ludicrious speeds it is worse.

Funny you should mention carb synch. I had it done last year. But all last year and this year I have been having troubles with my bike when it gets real hot (like in traffic). The bike starts to surge at idle and occasionally stalls on me. Often I have to keep the bike revved to 2000rpms at idle just to keep it from stalling. I am thinking something is wrong in the carb synching or the jets are too rich. My next thing is to check the condition of the air filter. I haven't done that since April.

Where are you located? You could come ride it...... :)

Stone

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kawagirl said:
Yep just undid the starter assembly, took a little sand papter to the connectors to get rid of the carbon and she is as right as rain. That site you gave me was right on time, thanks.

Was it a PITA to take the switchgear completely off?

Actually lets discuss this in your orignal thread about it. OK?

Stone

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stoinkythepig said:
My 9R buzzes a bit at highway speeds when it's in need of chain lube. Try chain wax and see if it helps.

Thanks. I just lubed it last weekend though. I use Maxima Chain Wax.

Stone

·
Banned
101 Posts
Stonecoldchavez said:
Good point. Yes, the Gixxer and 929 were fuel injected.

The vibes are more pronounced above 80mph in top gear. At ludicrious speeds it is worse.

Funny you should mention carb synch. I had it done last year. But all last year and this year I have been having troubles with my bike when it gets real hot (like in traffic). The bike starts to surge at idle and occasionally stalls on me. Often I have to keep the bike revved to 2000rpms at idle just to keep it from stalling. I am thinking something is wrong in the carb synching or the jets are too rich. My next thing is to check the condition of the air filter. I haven't done that since April.

Where are you located? You could come ride it...... :)

Stone
I'm waaaaaaaaay the heck up in Massachusetts, near the New Hampshire border. It's the place spiders will crawl to in order to die!

Speaking of carbs, I've never had that issue when it gets hot, and I keep my bike in Florida for the winter, and part of summer. Basically, I've ridden it in stop and go traffic in 90+ degree humid weather a lot. Come to think of it, it's high 80's and humid up here in MA today, and I rode into work, which entails a fair amount of stop and go.

Anyway, when I got my carbs serviced this past May, I was told by the dealer, that they drilled out the mixture screws, and the mixture screws were set at roughly 3 additional turns for a richer mix. It pulled noticeably harder. Maybe your carbs are running super-lean stock? I guess what I'm getting at, is that it's not inconceivable that a lean-set carb in conjunction with needing synch, could cause a barely noticeable "rougher" running engine that ultimately expresses itself in the form of that buzzing past 80?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts