Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been riding anything with an engine (dirt bikes, four wheelers, snowmobiles) for about 10 years now, and i got a chance to drive my stepbrother's zx6r a few months back, and ever since i have dreamed of getting a sport bike and finally, i now am financially stable enough to get 1, so i decided that i am getting a yzf600r, because out of all the things i have driven, yamaha has always fit my style and comfort preferences the best. now that i am definately getting a bike, everybody that i ever knew insists that i am gonna die the instant i even sit on it. does anybody have any suggestions to help calm their opinions a little and be more supportive of my descision?

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Maybe get local crash reports and show that a cage is morelikely to be involved in a traffic collision than a bike?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i said about the whole car situation, its just that they keep saying that if you crash on a bike, your automatically gonna be dead instantly, but thats not true

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Bro, several on here have crashed on the street with their bike...me inluded. Educate them and show that you are going to be responsible...sooner or later they relax. Hell I put a bike down 5 years ago at 85+ in a curve and walked away (can't say the same for the leathers and bike).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i think it will take a bit after i get the bike for them to ralize that i am not going to be stupid, i admit when im on dirt bikes and fourwheelers i do wheelies and jumps and all kinds of stuff and it gets my family/friends nervous, but thats just me and the bike, but when im in the traffic, its me and other people, and im not putting my life in other people's hands...not the way people drive down here, i will follow all traffic laws as i do in a car too. if i want to get a thrill and go do wheelies and drive really fast, i'll take it to a parking lot

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, so far convincing them hasn't worked, i said about car accidents happening, and used the walking down the street theory, pretty much anything, and my mom still wants to start freaking out every time i even mention getting a bike. is there a link to some statistics or sumthin that could help her calm down a bit

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Actually, I just read a report (can't remember the source) that said apparently there are more injuries riding horses every year compaired to motorcycles.... interesting...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you ever find out where you read that please let me know, my mom is freaking out over me wanting a bike and i need to show her something like that to calm her down

·
Registered
426 Posts
If I remember right, when I took the MFS course. They said that 40% of all motorcycle fatalities, alcohol was involved. So just wear your helmet and don't mix drinking and ridding and you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, now i just have to convince my mom about that...(thats about as impossible as getting a rock to bleed

·
Registered
426 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

better ride like your invisible :) If you watch out for all the other fucking idiots on the road you got half the battle won :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, thats great info!!! i hopes this helps calm her down

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
promise them you'll take the msf course and do it..and tell them you will always wear the proper gear and do it :D

that's what I did with my wife

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
take the www.msf-usa,org class, show them that your doing the responsible thing

buy a smaller beginner bike, learn to ride then upgrade

are you prone to tickets accidents? if so you'll get more tickets on bikes. and as for accidents, bikes don't take to those well.

·
WTF guy
878 Posts
I find a few of them interesting...

22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

25. Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement.

33. Motorcycle riders in these accidents were significantly without motorcycle license, without any license, or with license revoked.

41. Seventy-three percent of the accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection.

I seems to me if you take the MSF and use common sense, and wear your gear you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, those are good ones, also look at this:

19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly over-represented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are significantly under represented

if this is fact.....why is insurance so high for my age group!!!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
um, cuz peeps your age tend to crash alot and die.........

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well that's the nature of owning and riding a bike. Every skeptic comes out of the wood works.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RACER X said:
um, cuz peeps your age tend to crash alot and die.........
19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are SIGNIFICANTLY OVER-REPRESENTED in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are SIGNIFICANTLY UNDER-REPRESENTED......i assume that this means that 16-24y/o's dont have as many accidents as made out to be, and older riders have a bit more than they are made out to be

1 - 20 of 51 Posts