1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Forum Killjoy
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on your own bike shouldn't be likened to brain surgery, its
not. Its a very simple process and with a little guidance it can easily
be accomplished.

Enter the book "101 Sportbike Performance Projects" by Evans Brasfield.
This book is a very good primer for the individual who wishes to take
the mystery out of doing work to your bike. Everything from basic
checking out your bike to installing new pistons and rings.
The book is laid out in an easy to read and follow format in which
every project is labeled as to how easy or difficult it is to
accomplish. By following the easy step by step directions most novice
mechanics will find this a well written easy to follow system. With
tips and photos that make it easy to get an idea of what you are
looking for as well as why you are doing what you are doing, and what
gains you may see from each project. Yes there maybe short cuts for some of you seasoned vets, but this is a great book geared for the novice mechanic, but even seasoned riders may find something valuable in this book as well.

This book is available at www.101Sportbikeprojects.Com

Attachments

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
or you could spend 25 weeks at american motorcycle institute and close to 15,000 bucks to learn what that book will teach you i suggest the book i learned more on my own from it than i did my time at ami

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just started on this website so i dont know who to talk to I have a katana 600 1997 when i drive it and it comes between 5 and 6 grand it bogs and then as soon as i shitft down i can go but when i get to 5 or 6 grand it does it again cleaned the carbs still did it the spark plugs are black i was told that it is running rich but i cant figure out why it would be running like that when it gets to6 grand wondering if you could help me out.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
markymark10004 said:
i just started on this website so i dont know who to talk to I have a katana 600 1997 when i drive it and it comes between 5 and 6 grand it bogs and then as soon as i shitft down i can go but when i get to 5 or 6 grand it does it again cleaned the carbs still did it the spark plugs are black i was told that it is running rich but i cant figure out why it would be running like that when it gets to6 grand wondering if you could help me out.
Start a new thread in the forum above this one.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
add some punctuation, as well as what mods were done to the bike. Air filter? Exhaust? Jet kit? It sounds like carbs to me.

And welcome!

·
Registered
464 Posts
so does this book actually have lots of stuff on actually improving your performance (hp...etc) or is it all about maintenance kinda stuff? if I were to rebuild my engine, would this cover it all?

·
Registered
139 Posts
LittleTex said:
Anyone want to buy a book and share it? :rolleyes

I will I will, !!!
sweet, Thanks duckman. I have an old Hurricane Ive been wanting to tear into and rebuild from the ground up. This Book looks like the my best oportunity Thanks for the info.

I found a used for 8.oo on the site. I'll post up when I get a look. ETA may 4th.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought it, I was so happy to actually find a book in the bookstore that I thought I'd like reading.

Returned it. You will learn far more surfing good forums, and listening to the guys who know what they're talking about. The trick is sorting those guys out from the rest of the idiots.

Its a coffee table book, something for your buddies to read when they're not spilling beer on it.

I could have saved and ASSload of money by skipping MMI and reading service manuals. Thats all they really teach you in the end. How to read a manual correctly.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I've had a copy for a coupla' years now...It is very informative and explains each procedure simply and the photos are a big help...I recommend it...I bought mine from Speedwerks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.