Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean with that is a decision where.. You just up and quit your job, move to another state, leave everything behind and get a job doing something completely opposite of what you did before?

Has anyone ever thought of making a choice like this? If so what deciding factors did you use to justify doing it? If you did do it, do you regret it? What things happened that you weren't expecting...

Inquiring mind wants to know :D

Thanks

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Yes, I've done it about three times. In every case, there was more to gain than there was to lose and the change was the right way for me to go forward.

The first was when I joined the Merchant Marines at about 22. I'd been working at Schuck's Auo Supply in Seattle and was Assistant Manager, but when I looked at my paychecks and my life I knew I needed to make a change. I thought about what I wanted to do with my life and talked about it with some of the guys I worked with. One guy's father was an engineer on a ship and I thought that sounded cool - I wanted to get a skill and travel so I made some calls and joined the Seafarer's International Union. www.seafarers.org It was a good job and I learned a lot, but eventually I decided I wanted a regular life and went back to college.

The next time I made a jump was when I cam to Japan as a teacher. I graduated college but couldn't get a job. I was broke, living with my mom and pretty desperate. I finally decided to take a job as a teacher even though I knew it would be a dead end. It was an easy decision because I didn't have anywhere else to turn, but I never would have gone if I hadn't been at the end of my rope.

The third time was when I took my current job. I had to come back from Japan, go through a bunch of hoops and then got posted to Jamaica. That was pretty bizarre, but by that point I was pretty used to moving around and it worked out pretty good. Plus my current job supports my moving pretty well - it is a little tough moving every few years though. We got lucky and my current assignment is back in Japan and close to my in-laws. Now, we're just coming into my next bidding season and I don't know where we'll end up next. I have a strategy and if I get my choice it'll be Germany, but we'll see. Bidding and the uncertainty surrounding it can be a little intense, but after Jamaica I figure I can go about anywhere and be OK so I'm not afraid.

In every case, I was at a point where I was unhappy doing what I was doing and needed a change. It isn't that hard to put down your life (especially when you aren't happy with it) and go on to something else. Since every new change has its own challenges, you stay busy enough to forget about fretting over what you gave up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
On a side note, I would love to move to a town with a singles scene, but the family business thing has kept mere here thus far. I'm just itching to get away though. Nothing but fat chicks, lesbians, and white-trash-in-denial here. It kills me every time I go to the city and meet beautiful friendly women. I just bought a house 6 months ago which means I'll probably be staying around a bit unless I rent it out and move anyways. Sucks though, I love my house but am sick of the people here.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm...Anyone happy with were they were at but made a spontaneous deicison anyways?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
wescoas1 said:
On a side note, I would love to move to a town with a singles scene, but the family business thing has kept mere here thus far. I'm just itching to get away though. Nothing but fat chicks, lesbians, and white-trash-in-denial here. It kills me every time I go to the city and meet beautiful friendly women. I just bought a house 6 months ago which means I'll probably be staying around a bit unless I rent it out and move anyways. Sucks though, I love my house but am sick of the people here.
Sounds like you're describing the Seattle area.... especially fat chicks and lesbians (in hiking boots and plaid shirts)

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I had two offers on the table when I decided on college... full-ride basketball scholarship or 25,000.00/year tuition at a dedicated engineering college. Decided to study and don't regret a minute of it.

After three years in the prof. eng. world, I couldn't take working in an office any longer. Took a job as a construction engineer and never looked back. I get to move every 18 months or so, live in different parts of the country, aid in the monumental task of power plant erection/commissioning, and get paid very well to do so.

While working in the office (see above pp), I came home from work one day, loaded my Harley with a week's worth of clothes, tent, sleeping bag, etc, called my folks to tell them I was going to hit the road for a few weeks and the next morning before the sun came up I was hammering the interstate headed for New Orleans. 10 days later I'd been to New Orleans, most of the Florida panhandle, cut up through Alabama and into Tennessee, across Tennessee and through part of Kentucky, diagonally up through Missouri and finally returned to Kansas City. I just needed those 10 days and 3,000 miles to clear my head and figure some things out. To date those 10 days are some of my most memorable, and when I returned to KC I had made the decision to get into field engineering.

I guess that's about all I've got -

·
Registered
222 Posts
I decided to join the Air Force, pretty much just up and leaving my internship (the office life is boring). I won't find out if that was a good decision or not until July 5th when I leave for boot camp. Right now Im bored as hell because my departure has been delayed 4 times and I am hoping this one is final.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I worked in Chicago for years and LOVED it, but couldn't take the BS that came along with the job I was at. A lot of "passing the buck" and so forth, so one day in my daily 8 o'clock meeting, I looked at my boss, told him "Here's my two weeks notice as of two weeks ago" and packed my crap and left. No other job to go to, no other means of income. At the time I was living in Milwaukee, WI and loved it, (still do) but up and moved to Minneapolis (hate that place, still :lol) From there I took a job as a buyer for a bar supply/wine co. It was ok, but it didn't pay worth a shit and I had a 38 yr old boss that I had to baby sit. The bf and I took a leap of faith and went into the construction business. No experience, no $$. It was scary, but now it was the best decision he and I ever made.

·
Registered
813 Posts
my list..

1) Joined the Air Force in 1989
2) Got out in 1998
3) Got Married in 1999
4) Got a motorcycle in 2002
5) Had kids in 2002 & 2004

Couldn't be happier with my decisions!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I joined the Army as a long haired heavy metal head...everybody was shocked but I did it.
I got out and worked seven years for an Insurance Company in the data center. made it to supervisor. Also got married in this time period. One day I met a guy and he handed me a business card that said "Electrical Engineer" on it. I felt a weird feeling and within 3 days I had signed up for my College education at 28. I made it a few more months at the Ins. Co. but one day I walked in and resigned.
Went to school full time. As soon as I graduated we packed our bags and left Atlanta for the great state of North Carolina.
The town we lived in was too small for my wife so we packed our bags again and moved across the state to Raleigh.
And here we sit :)
With a 3 year old baby girl.

PM me Rascus or get on yahoo if you need to talk about anything. I'm here for ya brotha.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
-Joined the Army after waiting for a police job to open up.
-Dropped an OCS packet and a CID packet at the same time, right before my enlistment was up. OCS packet came back first and I accepted it.

·
1st name basis with Death
2,350 Posts
Dropped out of school in the 10'th grade to go to work full time...
Moved to a big city when I was 20 and lived there for 2 years...
Moved back to my hometown at 22 to decide my next move, but landed a great job when I got back and worked there for 5 years...
Rode to work the morning of Aug 31, 2000 and was almost killed in an accident...
Had a baby boy arrive Dec 23 that same year...
Went back to school and completed all my upgrading, as well as my first year post secondary...
Getting married to the girl of my dreams on Aug 20 this year...

Life changing decisions to still make... where I want to raise my family, what I'm going to do for my next career, what amount of money will I be willing to settle on for the injuries I recieved in my accident!!! (the last one is the toughest!!! What's losing half the function in your right leg and arm worth???)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Woke up one morning in the summer of 98, hungover from both beer and weed :drunk And asked myself if this is what it was all about. Went for a ride that morning past the Marine recruiters office and stopped in. Left for the Marine Corps Dec 15, '98. Best decision I ever made.

Made another tough decision, got out of the Marine Corps. Lured out by the almighty dollar. I sometimes regret my decision to seperate from the military because civilians (co-workers) piss me off to no end and there isnt anything I can do about. They all work sooooo fucking sloooooooow and don't know how to take responsibility and make decisions.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kazlab67 said:
PM me Rascus or get on yahoo if you need to talk about anything. I'm here for ya brotha.
Thanks man :dblthumb....you probably have an idea on what i'm talking about :D

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Blackduc said:
Woke up one morning in the summer of 98, hungover from both beer and weed :drunk And asked myself if this is what it was all about. Went for a ride that morning past the Marine recruiters office and stopped in. Left for the Marine Corps Dec 15, '98. Best decision I ever made.

Made another tough decision, got out of the Marine Corps. Lured out by the almighty dollar. I sometimes regret my decision to seperate from the military because civilians (co-workers) piss me off to no end and there isnt anything I can do about. They all work sooooo fucking sloooooooow and don't know how to take responsibility and make decisions.
Spoken like a true semper fi. :D :cheers So, how was the Marines? Seems like once you're in it, you're actually a different person (for the better I guess?) A guy I know went to the Marines last year and he said they treat you like shit.. like honestly like crap. I guess to make you feel worthless and just part of the military. But, I'm also guessing you "grow out of" it and that's just the introductory phase of joining the Marines.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
Spoken like a true semper fi. :D :cheers So, how was the Marines? Seems like once you're in it, you're actually a different person (for the better I guess?) A guy I know went to the Marines last year and he said they treat you like shit.. like honestly like crap. I guess to make you feel worthless and just part of the military. But, I'm also guessing you "grow out of" it and that's just the introductory phase of joining the Marines.

The Marines, and the military in general, is what you make it. I had a blast got to do a lot of things that only a few people can say they have done. The Marine Corps changed my thinking about a lot of things. I don't know about your friend but, I felt like I was an important part of something. If I didnt show up to work there wasnt anyone that could take my place. I mattered. In the civilian world? Just another brick in the wall. Sure the money is unbelievable compared to military but, after that then what? To be honest living in J-actionville N.C. is dirt cheap and being a married Sergeant living out on town, you live pretty damn good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts