Sport Bikes banner

Ever had any close calls

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave King 
#1 · (Edited)
Please Delete

#4 ·
when i was a kid i fell off my bike and my head landed right behind the driver's side REAR tire of this black lady getting into this old car. She was already reversing as it is, but slammed her brakes on right away.

it turns out she left something in her house. She didn't even see me and she stopped an inch from my head.

if she had not slammed her brakes on, i'd been long gone now. hehehe

#5 ·
A few years ago when I was still doing it, I popped my head into a room a little too early and didn't count to 3 Mississippi before the flashbang thrown by another squad member detonated. Needless to say, I was incapacitated by the device and blinded as well as deafened by the shock to my senses. However, I wasn't so incapacitated to forget the two tangoes in the room, which I was stumbling blindly in, armed with handguns. All I remember were a few muffled shots as I tried to get out of the way of the rest of my team as they cleared the room. I'd learn afterwards that the no 2. man in my team dropped one of the tangoes who had already taken 1 shot at me - and luckily missed.

Damn, I should start playing Rainbow 6 again.

#7 ·
When I was 6 I ended up trying to become one with a glass window, and doing it very unsuccessfully.

I was running around the house playing tag with my older brother. He opened and ran through a door with 2 panes of glass in it. As he went through, he made it a point to slam it behind himself. I tried to stop from going through by going into a slide tackle (soccer terminology) but my foam sole Superman Tennis shoes just didn't have the right grip. I ended up catching the bottom edge of the closed door and it catapulted me through the lower pane of glass. I went halfway through and landed stomach side down...on a large protrusion of glass. My body initially twisted inside the window, causing a large arching reverse-C on my stomach. I remember a good deal of the situation, specifically the part where my father had me on my back holding a pool of my own blood on my stomach, trying to keep it in.
After a scary ride in the ambulance, I went into the hospital and recieved 51 stitches total. I remember the person who was stitching me up. She was a larger lady, of the chunky sort, with brown hair that had millions of short curls in it. I remember this because they couldn't put me down before stitching due to blood loss. The stitches were on my stomach, my leg had a large gash, and underneath my arm on the side of my chest, they had 3 rows of long gashes (probably because of my flailing).

After all of that, I learned later that the piece that I landed on was about 1/2 inch away from my heart judging by internal damage on the X-rays.

I've had some close calls.

#8 ·
While in college I worked construction. I was working on building a scaffold that was stacked 4 high (6ft type) and someone didn't overlap the boards. I was in a hurry and didn't catch it. I ran down the board and it tipped and slid. I rode the board down two scaffold heights and then fell off. I landed between two pieces of rebar with a thud. They for what ever reason weren't capped off. It could have been ugly.

This is just one of my "work" incidents.

#9 ·
I do hvac work in the summer and I have never really been afraid of getting schocked before. It's happened a few times while learning and it didn't really bother me. So at the end of summer, I was putting a stablock breaker in a panel and I had to move a half breaker to the top. It barely fit between the breaker below and the plastic covering the main lugs and it wouldn't snap on the the bus bar. So me being the fearless idiot decided to stick my screwdriver in there to pry down on the breaker. Well I had been going at it for about 2 minutes and still couldn't get it so I pushed harder and my hand touched the main bus bar and my other hand was grounded. It was the worst shock I have ever had. It felt like I was latched on for like 10 seconds just shaking and screaming. Needless to say I won't ever pry on a breaker in a live panel again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.