Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then, I get this weird feeling that almost scares the shit out of me that today could be the day that I hit the pavement. Maybe because I haven't crashed yet, I don't know. I know it's coming though. I'm getting much better at riding, much smoother, and unfortunately, much faster. I know it's friggin coming, but I just don't know when. I almost wish it would just happen and get it over with so I know what to expect. Do you guys ever get that feeling? Like you know it's about to happen soon?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I get that feeling every now and then. My reaction is to park the bike until it goes away, even if it takes a few weeks or more.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mykl said:
I get that feeling every now and then. My reaction is to park the bike until it goes away, even if it takes a few weeks or more.

I've never parked it because of it. LIke I said, I'd almost rather get it done and over with. Call me ignorant or a squid, but even if it don't feel right, I get out there and ride anyway. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT WANT TO CRASH. I just sometimes want to know what to expect, because like i said before, I haven't hit the ground yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i had the exact same bike u have...same color and yr and i must say that that honda saved my ass more times than i can count....when i was forced to sell it..i cried and didnt get back into riding for almost 5 yrs but guess what i'm back riding a 01 cbr 600 cause i know a honda will save your ass if u just trust it and go on and lean it over or apply some more throttle or brakes depending on the situation....i have been riding sportbikes on the street for almost 17 yrs and i have yet to have a major crash..other than lil tip overs in my yard cause i'm only 5/4 ...so you keep on trusting that bike and believing in yourself and always rely on your trusty butt sensor that says hey slow yo azz down

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, it's not that I don't trust my bike, and it's not that I don't trust myself. I don't know what it is. I just know that I'm getting close even though I rarely have close calls anymore. but yeah, I absolutely love my bike. It's awesome. I will NEVER sell the thing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
yea i get that too. But that is what makes it exciting

·
Registered
503 Posts
All I can say is be sure you're suited up for the fall, not for the ride, and you oughta make it out fine.

May want to sign up for a track day, I'd much rather push a bike to its limits and fall on a track than on the street!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stang Man said:
All I can say is be sure you're suited up for the fall, not for the ride, and you oughta make it out fine.

May want to sign up for a track day, I'd much rather push a bike to its limits and fall on a track than on the street!

yeah, I'm almost always suited up for it. I don't push my bike to the limits on the street, I still have chicken strips on it. I know damn well though, that given the sense of security that I'm sure a track gives, I would have no chicken strips whatsoever. I hold back on the street and they are almost gone. I just know that my day is coming soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had it today hardcord. The wind was pretty strong, but the weather was decent. After I got off work I had this feeling that I didn't want to ride that much today...just really bad gut feeling I had inside my stomach. I take my normal route home and my bike felt like it flopping all over the place through my first corner. I got home sat around for a little bit, went out riding again. I was at a stop sign and was making a left turn. My rear tire skid out on me in the graval and it scared the crap out of me. Later on during the day I was doing wheelies, and the bike went up kinda side ways, and landed ackward, but i saved it. Then after I was done working out...I had a tought of doing a wheelie, but there was a van a little bit ahead of me. I decided not to do it, but i was surving back and fourth. The van pull to the right lane and come to a dead stop. I soon realize it was a cop. Welp that sums up my shitty day of riding.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Yes I get that feeling every once in awhile...2 Sundays ago was when I last felt it before heading out for a Sunday morning ride with my group. It's been raining a lot here lately and I know the roads get loaded down with sand and everything else..so for some reason I just decided to wear full leathers (I usually don the jacket, atomic jeans JR, boots,etc). I just felt more comfortable this time out in the full suit...just have to listen to that feeling I suppose...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Happens to me all the time. Like someone mentioned above, I don't ride until it passes. I only get out on the bike maybe once or twice a week but if something just doesn't feel right I skip it and wait for another day. I always go with my gut feelings.

·
Registered
926 Posts
as s portbike rider you have to accept this saying to be happy. 'prepare for the worst but hope for the best"

everytime i go out on the track (only place i push it to my limits now) i have a little talk with my self to get in the mindset needed to go fast, and at to sum it all up into one short statement..."fuck it..." but thats just me

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
That feeling is only natural. Some people listen to it, some people don't. Last time I had that feeling, i didn't ride that day, and someone in my group crashed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure that awkward feeling comes over just about everyone time to time..., unfortunately, you really gotta face facts: it's not a matter of whether or not you're going to go down, it's when..., especially if you start hitting the track hard.

My advice: stay prepared. In MI it doesn't get scorchingly hot out, but we'll see the 90's, and I'm always in a jacket, gloves, helmet (state law), and at least jeans now. I went down in a t-shirt a while ago..., sux. Ah well, it was an XB9R, so I had a chance to check out real race bikes..., look at the positive!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
adamf2 said:
I've never parked it because of it. LIke I said, I'd almost rather get it done and over with. Call me ignorant or a squid, but even if it don't feel right, I get out there and ride anyway. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT WANT TO CRASH. I just sometimes want to know what to expect, because like i said before, I haven't hit the ground yet.
Well, my desire to not get hurt or killed takes precedence over my desire to ride.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When the pavement starts calling your name, then you need to fight the urge to give in. I think you just need to change how you feel, like stated before maybe take a break off the bike. I try to feel confident when I ride and if I start to think today is the day then I think of that warm fuzzy place I never spent as a kid and alter my mood altogether. Just remember, if you are thinking about it, it's gonna happen.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When that voice rises, I pay attention. If it is no more than a murmur that disappears when I am gearing up and getting my brain into riding mode (very Zen-like, I might add), then I ride. If the feeling persists and/or gets louder, I turn the bike off, strip off my gear and get into the car. I don't ignore those feelings. Sometimes the feeling lasts days. When my wife asks why I'm not riding, she understands my reply: "It doesn't feel right to ride.".

I'm dressed for a crash everytime I'm on the bike, head to toe and everything in between. But just because I've got my gear on means I have any desire to test it. That goes for the track too. I am more accepting of the idea of going down on the track. Good leathers, controlled environment, good safety crew and medical a couple minutes away do a lot to help ease concerns. Even then, going down is not on the schedule of things I want to try. If I do, it is due to a failure in my ability and if so, fine. That is the risk I take. But I am not and will never go to the track with the idea that "Hey, I'm looking forward to testing my leathers today!".

I don't buy the idea that all riders go down. If you go down on the street, it is not always avoidable and sometimes circumstances are beyond your control. Gravel, sand, right-of-way violation, etc. But the rest (turn too hot, acting like an idiot, pushing limits on the street that shouldn't be pushed, poor maintenance, etc), is avoidable and should have been. Most of these incidents are the result of the rider ratcheting beyond their limits too quickly or too far. We all need to push limits in order to expand them but finding that fine edge that doesn't push us from exhiliration to pavement is the trick. I've been on that edge and I tickle the envelope of it very, very gently. When I go to the track, the same attitude will prevail.

I don't care if I'm the last guy in the pack. I'm riding at my limits. Not the bikes in front of me and not at the control rider's. Mine. I know my bike and I know myself. When I start to push, I will only do it when everything is aligned and working for me. If something feels off, I don't want to be on that edge and compound discomfort into disaster.

Just my two and rambling cents on the matter.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
even if it don't feel right, I get out there and ride anyway.
Not me. If it doesn't feel right, I'm not enjoying myself. If I'm not enjoying myself, then why ride?

Days like that, I take the bike home.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I use to feel that way every time I got on the bike. Now that I can ride proficient I don't have that feeling anymore. Now it's more of when I get off the bike after a ride I get the jitters because I was riding like a jackass. Not every time only when I was pushing it. I'm not scarred of other cars as much because I'm very alert and feel like I would be handle any situation that gives me a chance to get away from it. I can't worry about the situations I wouldn't be able to get out of. If it scares you that bad take a break and see how you feel or slow it down for awhile.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
I try to listen to that feeling, last time I didn’t a lady in a cage ran a red light, changed lanes without looking and side swiped me...ouch.

Most people know their instincts. If you are the kind of person who’s gut reaction is usually in tune with what’s going on around you, it’s prolly in your interest to listen.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts