Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, Netboog and I took a ride on Saturday through the Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest here in Wisconsin and it was a great ride! Kettle Moraine Info
The only "mishap" was that some bird decided to...uh, "anoint" my front brake reservoir, lever and fairing. Guess it must have felt the DL was one ugly bike because that bird specifically targeted my bike and not the FZ6 that Netboog rode! :urowned

Other than that, the Kettle is one beautiful place to ride that has a few twisty sections (complete with gravel :eek: ) to challenge, plus a number of straight roads to relax.

Couple of pics attached. Sorry they're so frickin huge. Guess they match my new frickin huge bike! :grinbounc

Hey, Netboog. Next time we ride, please try a little harder to keep up with me, OK?

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
He probably kept his distance since so many birds were pooping on you that he didn't want the birds thinking he was with you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is off the subject of bird poop, but what kind of foam grips does that bike have on it? Are those overwraps? Are the comfortable?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
skuz said:
This is off the subject of bird poop, but what kind of foam grips does that bike have on it? Are those overwraps? Are the comfortable?
Those are Grip Puppies that slip on over the stock grips. The main reason I got them was to make the stock grips thicker (I have long fingers), not so much to get more cushion. I find them very comfortable, but you might not if you have short fingers. If you're interested, I got them at California Sport Touring for $7.50 with free shipping.
I think these will fit the FZ6...
Grip Puppies - Small

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I grew up in Wisconsin and have heard of Kettle Moraine. I always wanted to go there but never made it. Maybe I'll stop there next time I go to see the family. Any suggestions on things to do there. It's down in the Southern part of the state isn't it?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ejworthen said:
I grew up in Wisconsin and have heard of Kettle Moraine. I always wanted to go there but never made it. Maybe I'll stop there next time I go to see the family. Any suggestions on things to do there. It's down in the Southern part of the state isn't it?
Yeah, it's in the southern part of the state, north and slightly west of the Milwaukee area starting near the happening town of West Bend. Actually, there is a southern Moraine park as well and I believe that's south and west of the Milwaukee area, although I've not ridden through the southern kettle yet.

For things to do, I'd say a Brewer's game, visit to the public museum, zoo etc. would all be good. If you do visit, be careful in the downtown area; they're re-doing the Marquette interchange which is the major freeway interchange in Milwaukee. It's a mess and most people drive like morons through the construction zones.

Where in Wisconsin did you live, ej?

·
Registered
828 Posts
You have a great sense of humor Patpuma, thanks for posting this.

I have sister/brother-in-laws in Madison which I will be visiting in the near future so if I ride there I'll remember to try out Kettle Moraine (the name reminds me of Cape Cod (on a glacial moraine, lots of kettle ponds). And I'll pack some extra rags just in case.

Glad you're enjoying your new ride!

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
Patpuma said:
Hey, Netboog. Next time we ride, please try a little harder to keep up with me, OK?
Oh I get it now. . . so the objective is to get to the stop signs 30 seconds after the other person to be faster :lao Damn and to think I thought it was the other way around this whole time.

P.S. the ride out at Spring Green was 10 times better than the roads here in SE Wisconsin!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Kneedragger! I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and this one is by far my favorite because it has the coolest people (except that Netboog freak!) and is the most active in terms of good tips and stuff.

The new ride is a great fit for me, although there are times that I sort of miss the power of the FZ6. Plus the windscreen on the DL is prone to a lot of buffeting. Not to mention that it sounds like a motorboat at certain RPM's. Well, then there's the thing about birds not liking it much. Other than those things, I'm really pleased with it! :lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
netboog said:
Oh I get it now. . . so the objective is to get to the stop signs 30 seconds after the other person to be faster :lao Damn and to think I thought it was the other way around this whole time.

P.S. the ride out at Spring Green was 10 times better than the roads here in SE Wisconsin!
:lao :lao

OK, you got me! Truth be told, I had one hell of a time keeping up with Netboog. I think there were several factors:
1. The FZ6 is considerably more powerful.
2. Netboog (Adam) is 20 years younger than I am.
3. The FZ6 is considerably more nimble.
4. Adam is 20 years younger than I am.

The DL is a really big bike and this is even more apparent when it's sitting next to a Harley touring bike! It makes even a Harley with bags and full fairing look small!

Glad your ride in Spring Green went well!

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
Patpuma said:
OK, you got me! Truth be told, I had one hell of a time keeping up with Netboog. I think there were several factors:
1. The FZ6 is considerably more powerful.
2. Netboog (Adam) is 20 years younger than I am.
3. The FZ6 is considerably more nimble.
4. Adam is 20 years younger than I am.

The DL is a really big bike and this is even more apparent when it's sitting next to a Harley touring bike! It makes even a Harley with bags and full fairing look small!
Do you have any other excuses that you were thinking about all day at work waiting for me to reply?? :beer

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Patpuma said:
Yeah, it's in the southern part of the state, north and slightly west of the Milwaukee area starting near the happening town of West Bend. Actually, there is a southern Moraine park as well and I believe that's south and west of the Milwaukee area, although I've not ridden through the southern kettle yet.

For things to do, I'd say a Brewer's game, visit to the public museum, zoo etc. would all be good. If you do visit, be careful in the downtown area; they're re-doing the Marquette interchange which is the major freeway interchange in Milwaukee. It's a mess and most people drive like morons through the construction zones.

Where in Wisconsin did you live, ej?
I grew up in Green Bay. Lived there until I was 19 then Joined the Navy. Ended up on the East coast when I got out. I looked the park up on the internet and notices it is located South of Lake Winnebago. My parents are originally from Oshkosh so I know the area somewhat. I miss WI. Really nice people there. Too COLD though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts